Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
I love these crazy pictures of military vehicles. Maybe 68Barracuda can ID the missile about to hit the Duece and a half. What are these tanks? I have to believe the tank fired while jumping forward, not really recoil is it?!Enjoy the pics.

#2: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: Andrei PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 pm
    ----
---What are these tanks?

merkava mk3
T-80U

---I have to believe the tank fired while jumping forward, not really recoil is it?!

sure! it fired while jumping forward

#3: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:37 am
    ----
That "herd" of tanks looks a lot like French AMX-30s with reactive armor. Never saw that before.

Best,
David

#4: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:09 am
    ----
You can find these pictures and much more at www.strangemilitary.com.

#5: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:58 am
    ----
I think the "missile" is actually a dumb 2000 pounder with a laser guidence system bolted on.....saw one at the museum the other day....

#6: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:08 pm
    ----
- 68Barracuda
I think the "missile" is actually a dumb 2000 pounder with a laser guidence system bolted on.....saw one at the museum the other day....

Exactly what I recall it looking like, too, Rob!

#7: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:48 pm
    ----
T-80B

#8: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:52 pm
    ----
T-80UK

[img=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/262/t80b1064ql.th.jpg]

#9: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:52 pm
    ----
- Andrei
T-80B

Like the others, purely a "drama shot"...off a prepared earthen ramp, aimed at the sky.
Just like similar western images, these are pure PR with not a chance in hell of offering a combat advantage...except perhaps in sharpening maintenence skills.

#10: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:53 pm
    ----
Yes, but it sows tank mechanical reliability and fire control (stabiliser) work...

#11: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck... Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:59 pm
    ----
Definatly not PR shot - T-80B (no one ever offered it for export)....

Need to notice, this is rather bad for the crew halth (backbone) ...

#12: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:41 am
    ----
- Andrei
Yes, but it sows tank mechanical reliability and fire control (stabiliser) work...
If that T-80B was aiming for the moon, perhaps. Wink

#13: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:03 am
    ----
- Chris_C
- Andrei
If that T-80B was aiming for the moon, perhaps. Wink

Hey, it worked for Bart when he used a tank to shoot down the MLB market research satellite... Sorry, pop culture reference...

"Shoot the tyres out, Lou!
"Uh.. it's a tank, chief!"

Actually, this could make a good avatar...

Neil

#14: Re: Flying Tanks, recoil, herding, and a bad day for a truck Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:22 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Actually, this could make a good avatar...

Neil

Dang, you're on to something there Neil...kinda' compliments mine...
Hey!...I need a driver.....

-> AFV News Discussion Board