AFV Quiz
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AFV Quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:42 am
    ----
I know, It's looks easy, but what model is it and for a bonus where is it.

Joe D

Last edited by Joe_D on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:46 am
    ----
M60A3 at Graf?

#3: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:49 am
    ----
That's too easy.There are diffrent kinds of M60A3's, Look closely, and it's not Graf,

Sorry, no prize yet,

Joe D

#4: Re: AFV Quiz Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:59 am
    ----
- Joe_D
I know, It's looks easy, but what model is it and for a bonus where is it.

Joe D

Well, that is one way to make these quizzes difficult...hide the picture!

C

#5: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:05 am
    ----
Ooops,
Hit the wrong thing on photobucket. My sincere apologies, I am NOT running a rigged contest so please don't sue.

Joe D

#6: Re: AFV Quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:00 am
    ----
hmmm, interesting track.

Lets see, Israel or Turkey?

#7: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:01 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I maybe wrong, but I think that is a later model A1. Check out the track block. As for being an A3, that vehicle has a searchlight. didn't the A3s have termianl sights and didn't need the searchlight?

As for location...green grass...Ft. Knox?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: AFV Quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:11 am
    ----
Its got a wind sensor on the rear of the turret (I think), and the ole Germany 'whoopie' light......

Not Graf, perhaps Hohenfelds or a Reforger.

But not Germany,...never allowed to 'camo up' with live vegetation.....

I'm sooooo confused

#9: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:14 am
    ----
Early A3's didn't have thermal sights (TTS), so this likely ain't a TTS version.
The protuberance on the TC cupola has me stymied...it isn't an "AN" turret, and has no muzzle reference thingy. Maybe RISE Passive?

#10: Re: AFV Quiz Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:53 am
    ----
Kampfpanzer M60A3 of the Austrian Army

Cheers !

Dirk

#11: Re: AFV Quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 am
    ----
Austrians have (had) M60A3 ?.......

AH-HA!!

The strange track,...would be 'Leo' Track. That makes sense!!

Don

#12: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:24 pm
    ----
- Dontos

The strange track,...would be 'Leo' Track. That makes sense!!

Don

Damm, I saw that, but I was thinking it was my old eye sight just not seeing the hex plattern on the track shoes! Evil or Very Mad

Good Test!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#13: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:02 am
    ----
We have a winner, Congrats Dirk.
It's an Austrian M60A3 Passive. They decided to go with the German Searchlight. Location Austria (Duh) near the Graz training area from what I can tell. The Austrains were the first export customer of the M60, They bought A1's shortly after they came out in the 60's. They then bought the new A3' passives. They never upgraded to TTS, but did have Steyr upgrade all the A1's to A3 Passive standard. I believe all their 60's were sold to Egypt a few years back. Same place Arnold Schwazenegger trained as a tanker on 47's. My connection is my cousins served in the Austrian Army there as conscripts in the late 70's and early 80's. (They were grunts).

Joe_D

PS: Check out the duck bills on the track.

#14: Re: AFV Quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:09 am
    ----
Joe

Great Trivia!

The Searchlight should have clicked.

Vegitation camo is typical non-US since 'we' didn't want to tick off the locals by cutting down live branches

The 'Leo' track became a clue but Germany didn't buy M60 anything. The went from M48 to Leos.

I know 'squat' about the Austrian Army, other than stuff at the museum in Vienna I visited back in the 70's.

#15: Re: AFV Quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:48 am
    ----
Here's the whole picture,
The image was taken from the Austrian Army Web Page. Last time I was in Austria I passed through Salzburg in 98 and saw some Centurion hulls in a yard there. The last time I was in Graz was 85 visiting family. The Army has decided that the Far East and SWA is where I belong. Haven't been to Europe other than TDY since 86. Oh yeah, I remember cutting pine tree limbs for cammo during Autumn forge '84. No one seemed to complain then.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board