What's diffrent about this M1
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:17 am
    ----
What's makes this M1 unique?? For those that have been to Hood this might be easy.

Joe D

#2: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:42 am
    ----
I don't know much about M1's but here's my take. I compared the pic with a 1-64AR, M1 in Iraq from 2003. The cannons breech seems to stick out a good 5 or so inches than the one in Iraq. If I'm wrong, evryone call laugh at the silly guess.

#3: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:49 am
    ----
Jeff,
That's pretty good for an 11C, But that's just the beginning. There are a few more inconsistencies. Hopefully this challange might last a little longer.

Joe D

#4: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:06 am
    ----
Here's another thing I see different, the last side skirt at the rear is of a different shape. The 1-64, M-1 hs a more pronounced "notch" to it where the one in this picture seems to go up more smoothly, covering more of the final drive sprocket. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

#5: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:06 am
    ----
Hi Joe!

I would say that the hull and turret come from a M1 that had a 105 mounted in it. It has been rearmed with a 120mm cannon.

Has chevron tracks.
No openning on the turret roof for a CITV which the A1s had and the A2 use.

Spot report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:14 am
    ----
Where do I begin....

No MWO on the #7 skirt
IPM1 hull
M256 track
IPM1 Turret (has 120mm gun trunnions but no CITV mount)
Small turret sponson boxes (IPM1 definitely)
120mm with no MRS

Basically it is a fabrication used for static display.

#7: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:22 am
    ----
Jeff,
The 7 skirt was put on some A1's because it's what you got sometimes when the other wasn't available. Your observation of the manlet was key.

Roy,
Very good, Chevron tracks were used on many M1A1's, mostly at Training posts like Knox and Irwin because the track was so much cheaper. The main thing is, yes, it is a former 105mm tank. There are also some other pretty weird things about this tank.

Joe D

#8: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:24 am
    ----
I'll bet it has the old M-1 final drives also

#9: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:25 am
    ----
Dontos,

Nope, she's not a fabrication, believe it or not, take a closer look, there's something on it that gives it's pupose away.

Joe D

#10: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:29 am
    ----
Are the Roadwheel hubs missing?

Also thats the old antenna.

When in 2/12 I think we detailed someone to paint that if its at 1CD museum.

#11: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:34 am
    ----
Its not made of plastic/fiberglass is it? haha. Doug knows what I mean!

#12: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:36 am
    ----
Yep,
It's at 1CD's museum, by the way, serial number is D790, if that means anything to anyone.

Joe D

PS: Dontos, Rocky Smith = Damn good guy. Last seen him when he was in Goofy troop or Net team at Knox a 9 years back. Can't remember which.

#13: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:44 am
    ----
Is that an M1E1?

#14: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:46 am
    ----
Golf Trp did TC3, thats when I first saw him after leaving Korea. He PCS'd to Hood in 99. Saw him back here in 03 or 04.

Real good Dude

#15: Re: What's diffrent about this M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:51 am
    ----
Ding Ding Ding,
Give the man a hand. Yep an old M1 brought up to IP standards and mounting the 120mm gun. Look at the NBC sponson, it's not armored and a test jack connecter housing is mounted in front of it. Another weird thing is all the ballistic skirts have been removed and replaced with mock ups. Only the steel skirts are original. I will post a picture of the end of the tube. It's weird too.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board