Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:54 pm
    ----
For those with a committed interest in seeing a quality video of M60A1's doing their thing around Ft. Knox ~1969 with a little M113 footage and views of the Ft. Knox tank trails, we are fortunate to have on the server a digitized version of "Fr8ycat's" fathers' 8mm film. "Fr8ycat" is our own flight simming Richard Frady (designer of the great OH-6A available in the downloads section at Com-Central) and his father, Larry Frady, made this ~4minute film when he was a tanker at Ft. Knox (prior to his Vietnam service, I believe).
It's a nice, color "window" through the eyes of your average 11E at Planet Knox about the same time as I and some others of you were there and we're grateful for his willingness to share it for our enjoyment. If you ever swung a sledghammer or held a tanker bar for someone else, you'll dig it....

It's an MPG file and need a viewer compatible with this format.

So, if you're waxing nostalgic and wanna' see the Patton in it's "native surroundings", have at it (complete with mud and track maintenence!)...and don't forget to thank Richard and Larry for being willing to share this personal memento. Obviously, all rights are reserved and this video is not to be redistributed or uploaded elsewhere without permission from Richard....it's being provided as a privilege of being on the Com-Central and AFV News Forum.

Hooray! It's up! Our hosts have moved this file to a faster server which will speed downloads and prevent frustration. "Another service from the ever-helpful Com-Central Admins" (blessed are the admins, for they confereth His server space for thy files..in his mercy....)

Go get it..."right click" on the file below, "save target as" (to wherever on your system you want it, like "my videos" or "my music" or "my document") and then open with your mpg viewer. Do NOT view "online" as that will slow downloads for others who may be on at the same time.
The file is HERE:

www.com-central.net/do...rtKnox.mpg

...and let Richard and Larry know if you enjoyed it....

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:00 pm; edited 10 times in total

#2: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:01 pm
    ----
OK, it's up! Get it per instructions in first post (above).

Thanks, Admins, for the speedy transfer to the faster server!

#3: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:46 pm
    ----
Amazing what you can make out...use "pause" for details of the searchlight stowage bracket, for example.
Somebody got a mite sideways on one o' them roads.....

#4: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm
    ----
All I can say is SWEET FOOTAGE!!!

Thanks to everyone for the treat!

#5: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:37 pm
    ----
When you said "faster server" you weren't kidding! Took less than 2 minutes to download (DSL).

Very interesting video. Thanks to all for making it available!

#6: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:47 pm
    ----
- Tumbleweed
Success! Thanks all for all your troubles. Looked like a 32nd Armor crest on the turret. Were they at Fort Knox?

Yep, Ft. Knox.

#7: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:39 pm
    ----
Awesome Video!! Thanks

Nice to see the ol' 32nd Armor Crest in action. "Victory or Death"

BTW: It takes 3 hours & 45 minutes to download on dial up.... Shocked Evil or Very Mad

...But I got it!!

#8: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
- Dontos

BTW: It takes 3 hours & 45 minutes to download on dial up.... Shocked Evil or Very Mad

...But I got it!!

53MB, 'Weed....whaddaya' expect? But at least you don't have to view it in a tiny 2" window...you can enlarge it so you can actually see stuff.

#9: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:03 pm
    ----
Thanks!

Loved those ACAV shots!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:38 am
    ----
Where's the sound? Laughing Laughing

Thanks for making this video available. Very, very cool!! Smile

#11: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:04 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Where's the sound? lol lol

Thanks for making this video available. Very, very cool!! )
Son, back in the 'old days' there was a thing known as an 8mm camera named so because the strip of film was 8mm wide*. The movies it produced provided the ultimate in audience participation. It was almost obligatory to add comments or create dialog as it was played. With things like family movies that wee shown to the same audience time after time there was sometimes an almost automatic use of the same dialog over time.

*Purists will state that the output film was 8mm, the raw film was 16mm wide and was flipped half way through filming. At the processing plant (yes you actually sent it away to be developed!!) the film was split lengthwise and spliced together to make the finished movie. That is one reason why 16mm film was preferred for legal work. Oh and Super 8 just used a narrower drive sproket which allowed the exposed portion to be wider

#12: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:29 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Loved those ACAV shots!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Roy,
I'm sure you noticed how they were cruising around with the back door locked open for relief from the heat. On Armor Board operations at Knox in the summer, we routinely dropped the driver's escape hatch from the vehicle for the same reason....air conditioning!

#13: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:32 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Roy,
I'm sure you noticed how they were cruising around with the back door locked open for relief from the heat. On Armor Board operations at Knox in the summer, we routinely dropped the driver's escape hatch from the vehicle for the same reason....air conditioning!

Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

This old Sergeant has no problem with the rear ramp hatch being locked open. After all, if the tactical situation permits, air counditioning should be used. Smile

The thing that STILLS upsets me Evil or Very Mad is when I see a hatch that is in between locked down or locked opened. Free floating hatchs are looking for a head or hand to slam down on. Crying or Very sad

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 am
    ----
Great video. Thanks. Smile

#15: Re: Exclusive AFV News DG video!: M60A1, Ft. Knox, M113... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:36 am
    ----
Good, hope you guys ejoy it. Thanks Doug and the CC staff for making it available.

My Father finished out his time at Fort Knox after Vietnam so it would have been shot some time between 69-70, maybe into 71. He was in Vietnam 68-69.

Was watching it the other day and it amazes me how clear and good it looks for being 30 something years old, sitting in a box and being moved around multiple times. Was fortunate enough to be able to do a professional transfer since I work in post production, straight from 8MM to a digital betacam master which also helps with the final quality.

The original edited version I did had Roy Orbison's "Working for the man" as background music. Can't remember why I removed it, maybe trying to keep the size down.

-> AFV News Discussion Board