T-28 Photos
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: T-28 Photos Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:11 am
    ----
Now thats the kind of info I'm talking about. I love the "stories" associated with armor pieces. The rare one always seem the most intrigueing and neat to read. Seems that every military vehicle, wheeled or tracked has some hidden story, you just gotta dig it up.

#17: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:38 pm
    ----
In reference to the outside wheel assemblies being removed and hooked together and towed by the T28, reference this link and scroll down to the bottom. This was my first inkling that there was a T28 somewhere at Ft. Knox. It was probably in the LST building. I recognized the unit from a description in "British and American Tanks of World War II" by Chamberlain and Ellis.

www.armorfortheages.co...20page.htm

#18: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:40 am
    ----
Garry

Forgot those were still up. Thanks for the link.

BTW: to all that are reading this,......Garry is the person who first 'penned' my screen name of DONTOS. I thought it was fitting & pretty neat and have used it since.

Thanks Garry!!

#19: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:07 am
    ----
You're welcome, Dontos. Glad to contribute to the legacy.

#20: Re: T-28 Photos Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:06 am
    ----
And quite the legacy it has become!!!!

#21: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:17 am
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
In reference to the outside wheel assemblies being removed and hooked together and towed by the T28, reference this link and scroll down to the bottom. This was my first inkling that there was a T28 somewhere at Ft. Knox.

www.armorfortheages.co...20page.htm

"T-28 track assemblies outside one of the old musuem storage buildings c.1972."

Hey Garry! Did you take those pictures at Ft.Knox in 1972?

This is very interesting. Neil's newspaper article reports the T-28 was found at Belvoir in 1975, three years later.
I was living in quarters at Ft. Belvoir when it was 'found' again in 1983/84.

Very interesting.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#22: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:08 am
    ----
So perhaps the Track sections at Knox, were part of one vehicle, and the tank at Belvoir was the other vehicle?

#23: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:48 am
    ----
- Dontos
So perhaps the Track sections at Knox, were part of one vehicle, and the tank at Belvoir was the other vehicle?

Hmm... According to the AFV News issue: "To top it off, the outer track sections were also found in the woods nearby [at Fort Belvoir]."

So does Knox still have an extra set of track sections? Or did they not use the ones that were at Belvoir?

Don, this sounds like something for you to investigate!

Neil

#24: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:35 pm
    ----
The circa 1972 date is an approximation. I don't have a date on when I took the photos of the T28 track assemblies. My only reference is that my brother, standing next to the track in the bottom photo, was born in 1959. I'm guessing by his size and physical appearance that he is maybe 12 or 13 at the most making it '71 or '72. The 1975 date, to me, sounds too late unless they are referring to its actual extraction. Maybe the track assemblies were removed and shipped to the Patton Museum a long time before the vehicle arrived. Charles Lemons may shed some light on when it arrived. I haven't seen him post here, did he make the transition to the new site?

#25: Re: T-28 Photos Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:45 pm
    ----
Maybe we can approach the date from another angle

Can anyone ID the car in the background. I know my monitor here at work doesn't do detail real well but The headlights look like they may be the rectangular ones that were first introduced in 1975 (If I remember right) Some GM cars had the grill designed for the rectangular lights in teh 74 models but when they were not approved intime had inserts that used round lights. I am sure teh car is a GM but am unsure of it being a Olds, Buick or Pontiac. but id'ing the year of the car would give us a 'no earlier than' date.

Also it looks like a building number on the building. Is that the number for the LST building?

#26: Re: T-28 Photos Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:26 pm
    ----
I've got a old Chilton's volume covering early to mid-70's GM, but it's at home and I'm at work right now. It includes a model year recognition guide with front and rear views of each year/model. Could compare the photo with that.

David

#27: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:38 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Maybe we can approach the date from another angle

Can anyone ID the car in the background. I know my monitor here at work doesn't do detail real well but The headlights look like they may be the rectangular ones that were first introduced in 1975 (If I remember right) Some GM cars had the grill designed for the rectangular lights in teh 74 models but when they were not approved intime had inserts that used round lights. I am sure teh car is a GM but am unsure of it being a Olds, Buick or Pontiac. but id'ing the year of the car would give us a 'no earlier than' date.

Also it looks like a building number on the building. Is that the number for the LST building?

Its a mid-70's olds, I believe

The location looks to be behind the LST building.

#28: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:13 pm
    ----
Building 1539,....hmmmm It used to be in the area of the LST building, but I believe the LST building is behind the car.

The LST building doesn't have a garage door on 'that' end of the building.

#29: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:40 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Here is another photo of T-95 Pilot 1. It doesn't show up very well, but the T-95 1 is just under the front part of the left facing shovel.

Don't remember where I got this from other that it was part of a magazine article about the history of Dragon Wagons.

Trailier is mis-i.d.ed as a M-15. When it comes to trailiers, I have no idea which model this one is.

Don't know if this will help anyone else:
Number on the truck is 547959
Number on the trailier is 0027712, not real sure on the second zero, it could be an eight (8).

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#30: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:46 pm
    ----
That should be correct. The M26 Dragon Wagon's trailer was the M15.

www.missing-lynx.com/a.../amtdw.htm

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board