Production variant Stryker MGS photos
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:16 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

It is my undestanding (I maybe wrong , wouldn't be the first time)that both rounds are offically labeled cannister and Tankers have nick-name the can rounds with fuzes beehive.

Could this possible be a national mix up where the US labels all of them cannister and another military does call the fuzed type round beehive? Shocked

You Tankers have confuzed this old Scout again. Sad Confused Rolling Eyes Neutral

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#17: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:32 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

It is my undestanding (I maybe wrong , wouldn't be the first time)that both rounds are offically labeled cannister and Tankers have nick-name the can rounds with fuzes beehive.

Could this possible be a national mix up where the US labels all of them cannister and another military does call the fuzed type round beehive? Shocked

You Tankers have confuzed this old Scout again. Sad Confused Rolling Eyes Neutral

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Heres how to straighten that out....

APERS (Anti-personnel) is BeeHive

Cannister is like YOU OLD CAV dudes Shocked (Back during the 'War for Southern Independence" aka 'The Civil War') used to call 'GRAPE SHOT'. Mr. Green

(running for cover from the skirmishers!!! Mr. Green )

#18: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:41 pm
    ----
Here is the 120mm Canister Round:

Here it is being loaded:

Here it is being fired at a 50m target at cinder block / wooden wall w/ man form targets behind.

Canister can penetrate cars, trucks, walls, and such...

I don't think Beehive is designed to do that,...

#19: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:38 pm
    ----
"Cannister is like YOU OLD CAV dudes (Back during the 'War for Southern Independence" aka 'The Civil War') used to call 'GRAPE SHOT'. "

With some trepidation I will question you on this.

Canister used to be a large sheet tin can full of small balls (27 for a 12 pdr napoleon) packed in sawdust.

Grape was a group of smaller cannon balls (usually 9) held together with a wooden plate top and bottom that was used by the Navy. The larger balls used in Grapeshot had some capability to take out sails, rigging, etc.

The name derived from the similarity to a bunch of grapes.

Now in the War Between the States ( an acceptable name for 'The Late unpleasentries' below the Mason Dixon Line) a 12 Pdr Napoleon (4.2" bore) with double cannister was an awsome last ditch anti assault round.

www.nps.gov/vick/inter...poleon.htm

#20: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:26 pm
    ----
(using my 'families' outrageously exagerated Southern accent)

SUH. I must beg your pardon. My 'nawlege on such unpleasentries is based on my daddies yarns, from the days of old.

Howeva' my story on the differences of the modern munitions, was in ruff generalities to express the differences between the rounds in question....

(Actually I know 'squat' on Civil war munitions, but the example came to mind)

#21: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:28 pm
    ----
For a descendent of a New Market Cadet exceptions can be made

#22: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
    ----
- bsmart
For a descendent of a New Market Cadet exceptions can be made

....and that was only one side of the family. Three immediate relatives 'fought' in the Civil War.

Two survived the war, the Third, fell in the Battle of the Wilderness. He was Gen LeRoy A. Stafford.

The Other, was a Politician in the Confederacy. Shocked

My dad was the Artilleryman....I'm the CDAT!! Cool

(Computerized Dumb A** Tanker) Mr. Green

#23: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 pm
    ----
Somewhere around I have an original letter written "back home" from a distant relative while assigned to a CSA unit with a Petersburg, VA military address...it makes for some lamentable reading.

#24: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:49 am
    ----
Being a Marylander I had ancesters on both sides. Plus one that bought his way out of the draft Smile

One of those ancesters went back to the Eastern shore and returned to his life as a fisherman/oysterman. My Grandfather used to say the Uncle Shem was shot in bed by an irate husband when he was 60+ years old! Shocked

#25: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:58 am
    ----
- bsmart
My Grandfather used to say the Uncle Shem was shot in bed by an irate husband when he was 60+ years old! Shocked

NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!......HAHAHA Laughing

#26: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:54 pm
    ----

#27: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:51 pm
    ----
Its funny that for years they were pressing for the 105mm gun over all current 90mm low pressure guns due to the ammo still being in stock - but by the time they finally fiield the gun the compatible ammo's gone and they have to start over!

I read someone commenting that the newly designed 105mm round used a tougher steel casing rather than brass because of the autoloader - but I seem to recall 105mm ammo had switched over to steel casings a loooong time ago. Am I recall this correctly?

One thing about old 105mm gun 'beehive' round, if it fired flechette darts like other old behive rounds did the round may be illegal nowadays. No flechettes due to international treaty. I recalled that rule killed a Pentagon exotic rifle project sometime around the early 80s.
Tungsten balls, though? That's another matter entirely.

#28: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:01 pm
    ----
- mike_Duplessis

I read someone commenting that the newly designed 105mm round used a tougher steel casing rather than brass because of the autoloader - but I seem to recall 105mm ammo had switched over to steel casings a loooong time ago. Am I recall this correctly?

One thing about old 105mm gun 'beehive' round, if it fired flechette darts like other old behive rounds did the round may be illegal nowadays. No flechettes due to international treaty. I recalled that rule killed a Pentagon exotic rifle project sometime around the early 80s.
Tungsten balls, though? That's another matter entirely.

I believe you are correct on the casings, But I have a (105) shell casing and I thought it was aluminum, not steel. The brass casings were long gone when I came on the scene in 1985. It was a prized possession if one had one (Brass Casing).

As to the Beehive, I believe the phrase is "...inflicting cruel and unusual injury...??" ( As if being shot or blown up wasn't ?) .

#29: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:18 am
    ----
I was firing the last M60A3 gunnery in Germany in 1989. I remember a US colonel with a German accent coming up to my platoon on TTX and having us shoot some wiffleball training sabot with brass casings. He brought blankets to lay on the inside so the casings would not be damaged.

We just rolled up to the BP and fired them, carefully handed them down to the colonel and the sergeant with him. Figured he wanted them for some gift or something.

#30: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:32 am
    ----
I remember that in CAT89, the Canadians were firing off of Leo 1A4's and they were shooting brass cased rounds.

They flung their rounds out the tank as they fired,.....BUT they had a ammo carrier following each tank. They quickly picked up the casings.

We sat there, hoping they would miss one or two, cause they would have been quickly 'secured'.

-> AFV News Discussion Board