Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics..
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:02 pm
    ----
Looking for one that shows rows & rows of tanks being built, preferably US. Also would like for it to be in the "public domain," so I can use it for a website...

Mike Kendall had such a pic in AFV Interiors, on Sherman production - one of the Detroit Tank Arsenal. I'm not sure where he got his pictures from, dont know if he cropped them or if they came straight from the source...

Neil

#2: Re: Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics.. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:48 pm
    ----
If it's the one I'm thinking of there are M-3 Mediums in front and if you look close you can see Shermans behind them.

#3: Re: Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics.. Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:36 am
    ----
Neil,

are these of any help, despite being just M3s? All come from NARA, and are public domain.

The Public Archives of Canada also have some nice sequences of Sextons, Valentines, and IIRC Rams being assembled.

HTH

Jens O.

#4: Re: Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:59 am
    ----
Here's the one I'm thinking of. It was on Kendall's AFV Interiors page. A wider version is in Tanks are Might Fine Things, published by Chrysler in 1946. Unless I can find an original elsewhere online, I will ask Mike for permission to use his scan.

I guess I'd probably like to use a pic of a Sherman production line...

Neil

#5: Re: Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics.. Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:55 am
    ----
There are many photos on-line at the Archivianet site showing war production at Canadian factories.

www.collectionscanada....502_e.html

#6: Re: Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics.. Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:41 pm
    ----
One thing that caught my eye - you never think of this but these plants were brand-new structures! Look up to the ceiling at all those freshly painted steel girders, and look at those clean glass windows. The building hadn't been up long enough to have so much as a layer of dust on it. At least for the Grant photos. By the time the Shermans start filling the assembly line (picture Cool the place looks a bit more 'lived-in'.

#7: Re: Looking for Tank Plant/Arsenal production line pics.. Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:27 am
    ----
These pictures have been on my hard drive for years. I think they came from the AFV Interiors site, but I'm not sure. I only contribute occasionally, so it won't be any great loss when the hit man comes for me.

-> AFV News Discussion Board