More Strykers with dingleberries
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:08 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

This photo is from the Army Images site. Check out the underside of the Stryker. The following vehicle also has about the same set of hanging objects.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#2: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:19 am
    ----
I haven't been around Stryker vehicles but my guess is that those "dingleberries" are actually drain-plugs that are secured to the hull with small chains so they aren't lost. Why they are left hanging is another question.

#3: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: worthhaggerton PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:53 pm
    ----
Hello everyone,
If they are anything like the M113 then You do need train plugs.

Worth

#4: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:57 am
    ----
All armor needs drain-plugs, or an awfully large shop-vac, to get out their fluids that accumulate. I'm VERY familiar with the M113 family of vehicles, as I still serve on them, (M1964 Mortar carriers, M577 FDC). We dont have "dummy-corded" drain plugs. We always loose them at the wash racks or in the field. Seems like a good idea.

#5: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:34 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
All armor needs drain-plugs, or an awfully large shop-vac, to get out their fluids that accumulate. I'm VERY familiar with the M113 family of vehicles, as I still serve on them, (M1964 Mortar carriers, M577 FDC). We dont have "dummy-corded" drain plugs. We always loose them at the wash racks or in the field. Seems like a good idea.
To me it doesn't seem like a good idea to leave them dangling when you are driving around. Besides the chance of them deciding to break loose fromjust wear and tear there is the chance of them snagging something (like a wire loop sticking up that is connected to something that would then be pulled up in contact with the hull.

Maybe it's just the old flightline troop in me but loose dangling things are just trouble that hasn't happened yet

#6: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 pm
    ----
Also, open drain plug when an IED goes off underneath would imply an access hole for the blast. Not the best of ideas. Any of you old armor types drive around in the field much with the belly drain plugs undone? I'm still not 100% convinced they are drain plug caps, especially since they seem to be coming off the lower suspension. Don't have many alternate suggestion either, unfortunately.

#7: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:33 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I haven't been around Stryker vehicles but my guess is that those "dingleberries" are actually drain-plugs that are secured to the hull with small chains so they aren't lost. Why they are left hanging is another question.
They are left hanging so the fluids in the hull can drain out. They are small enough so the blast from an IED would most likely not be effected.

#8: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:27 pm
    ----
"They are small enough so the blast from an IED would most likely not be effected."

I guess that could be classed under 'reasonable expectation of the threat'. Sure, an open drain hole would technically be less secure but probably not enough to affect the outcome of a real-world attack.

Still, I'm reminded how both the heavily armored Churchill and the mighty Ferdinand complained of problems with blast splinters sneaking their way through the tiny gap between hull & mantlet. A tiny hole means the possibility of a tiny steel splinter bouncing around the fighting compartment.

#9: Re: More Strykers with dingleberries Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:05 am
    ----
Hi Mike ! Hi Folks!

- mike_Duplessis
Also, open drain plug when an IED goes off underneath would imply an access hole for the blast. Not the best of ideas. Any of you old armor types drive around in the field much with the belly drain plugs undone?

I don't remember what my first ACAV had or didn't have. Boom-Boom didn't have any of the hull plugs. The were all missing when I got the vehicle. When running through mud, it would flow into the lower hull areas and after it dried, it was almost as hard as cement.

I would say that the amount of blast wave going through the opens wasn't an issue. When the blast can break welds, bend armored plate, cut track block and remove road wheels, what comes throught those small opens isn't much of a factor.

My 2 cents based on what I have seen first hand.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board