Gun truck mod's in Iraq...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:55 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
This was under cover at the rear of the Ft Eustis museum. It was taped off but I climbed over the tape and snapped some close ups. The windshield freq's refer to a Trans unit. Again, no one at the museum could tell me anything. I'm assuming this is a "drop-in-unit" for an LMTV type truck, judgeing from its size. You can see it has 4 MG mounts, probably for SAW's and M240's. There is a centrally located, bed mount that probably held a M2, 50 cal. Those window panes were 2-3 in thick. Winshield was broken/cracked, but didn't appear to be from bullets. Reminded me of "Eve of Destruction" from the inside of the museum. Notice the open area between the inner and outer walls. The door shows the thickness of one of the walls. This was just delivered about 2 weeks ago, and I'm going to assume it will be placed in a vehicle oce ones available.

#2: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:08 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the photos!

Sad that the staff doesn't know anything about that unit. How do you show and tell the history if there is no information about the item?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 pm
    ----
I went to the museum today at lunch time but forgot they are closed on Mondays. I hope to speak with the curator / director, or somebody with some knowledge of the displays. I'm going to ask for a serial number list of all their equipment if they have such a thing. I also plan to see what they know about their ACV, (Air Cushion Vehicle) that I posted on here previously. I think they will be suprised by the information I have on their particular model. I'f I'm correct, it's the last one in existance, and therefore, deserves better care.

#4: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:31 pm
    ----
I talked with the Fort Eustis museum Director, Curator, and lead researcher today. They said they will try to print me up a copy of all their collection, to include serial numbers. I hope to try to start compiling a list of whats at which museum for future research.
This particular armor, came off a 5 ton gun truck, that they said was based on "Eve of Destruction" from Vietnam, that is on display at the museum. They showed me a color picture of the 5 ton in Iraq, very intimidating! You cna just make out an Ace of Spades card on the side of the box armor.
The museum personell were very courteous and helpful. Professional all the way.

#5: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:07 am
    ----
I've seen this 'gun truck'. A couple of years ago, Armorama had some photos posted of this vehicle.

I remember it because it was 'clean'. Professionally built, not the field mods that were common at the time.

Damn, wish I had saved that photo....

Don

#6: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:24 am
    ----
Found them!!!

More photo here:

Armorama: Ace of Spades

Don

#7: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:37 am
    ----
It was demo'd here back in Feb-Mar and called the Hunter Gun Truck package. Here is some information from the briefing slide:

Manufacturer: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory/DARPA
Crew: Interior space 12 ft x 6 ft
Armament: 2 x M6 pedestal columns and 1 x M6 pedestal assembly with base, all with universal pintle for M2, MK19, M240, and M249

There is a brief glimpse of it in action at the Ft Knox demo video on the Ft Knox home page: www.knox.army.mil link is at the bottom center of the page. The vehicle is code number J01 and appears 1:30 seconds into the video and at 4:40 seconds.

#8: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:21 pm
    ----
Those would be the pictures the museum director had on his desk alright! He said the developers for the design had actually come to Esutis to look at "Eve of Destruction" for design ideas. I think it will make a sharp addition to the museum.

#9: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:34 pm
    ----
I remember back when R.P. Hunnicutt was assembling his Armored Car book the Army had just dusted off an old Vietnam(?) era bolt-together gun truck armor kit for use in Haiti. I asked Hunnicutt if he was going to include add-on gun trucks to his AC book and he replied something along the line that the genre was simply too insignificant to warrant documenting. That was then - this is now. The topic of the evolution of add-on armored truck kits has become a very significant topic indeed!

#10: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:10 pm
    ----
- mike_Duplessis
I remember back when R.P. Hunnicutt was assembling his Armored Car book the Army had just dusted off an old Vietnam(?) era bolt-together gun truck armor kit for use in Haiti. I asked Hunnicutt if he was going to include add-on gun trucks to his AC book and he replied something along the line that the genre was simply too insignificant to warrant documenting. That was then - this is now. The topic of the evolution of add-on armored truck kits has become a very significant topic indeed!

An unfortunate (and uncharacteristic, I hope) assessment of an AFV type that merits more consideration and attention. To date, the best (if not the only) effort in print is James Lyles. "The Hard Ride", though there are a couple of good websites on the topic as well.

Guntrucks didn't originate with the "Central Office", so are easily ignored if one is organizationally focused. The improvised nature of their creation however, speaks to the need far more convincingly than what some committee or board in the 'States might have determined, had one been convened.
Maybe that's part of the problem...they didn't have any "sponsors" or senior officers advocating them then, and have no self-congratulatory monuments to self now to preserve and exhibit.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

#11: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:34 pm
    ----
Maybe Hunnicutt could now be convinced to do another volume 'Gun Trucks and Improvised Armored Vehicles'

#12: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 pm
    ----
Doug,

there's also a volume dedicated to VN guntrucks by Squadron (aptly named "Gun trucks" ;-)), and Tankograd Publishing has a bilingual volume on the up-armored vehiceles and the guntrucks of OIF that comes highly recommended.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#13: Re: Gun truck mod's in Iraq... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:26 pm
    ----
And here's a bolt-together truck cab. One thing that might escape attention - notice that square of armor (? - it looks pretty thin) just behind the wheel.

-> AFV News Discussion Board