What is this from quiz?...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What is this from quiz?... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:21 am
    ----
[img][/img]
I know what this is part of, to include the items serial number. Can those of you with strong "Googleeze", (like Doug) figure out what this is part of? I will post follow up pictures once the guesses are in.

#2: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:55 am
    ----
Well I'll GUESS it's a Tire, but the question becomes what is it on? Again I suspect that it is something at the Ft Useless Museum. Other than that my google-eeze is weak I can go no further

#3: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:55 am
    ----
I'm guessing a tire, but no idea what to...

#4: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:27 am
    ----
Jeff,
Based on the side wall size and the top edge tread could it be a BARC tire???
BTW, when are you heading back to FT Irwin??

Joe D

#5: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:41 am
    ----
[img][/img]
This would be your second clue, which I'm sure might give it away. And yes, it is at Ft Eustis. I graduate this 88N course tomorrow, 5 May and fly back to Ft. Irwin, via Dallas/Fort Worth and into Ontario. I will be there about 3 weeks while the boys finish the school year and I clear the unit, and post. I hope to be on my way to Ft Hood, (and those two wondeful, armor heavy museums) around 1 June. I'll probably be back to Ft Eustis a couple times more, for ANCOC and other Transportation courses. I hope to get to Aberdeen at that time.

#6: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:36 pm
    ----
Well if you wait long enough the 'Aberdeen Museum' may come to you! I assume some of the future Transportation courses will be BRACed to Ft Lee (I understand some Transportation courses are staying at Eustis)

Assuming the Museum moves (as is currently planned Evil or Very Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad Sad Rolling Eyes ) You will be able to catch up with it there.

But I would really rather show it to you where it is now.

By the way did you ask the folks at the museum there how they will be affected by BRAC?

#7: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:38 pm
    ----
Is it a HEMITT Tire?
I'm out of guesses now.

Joe D

#8: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:53 am
    ----
That's OFF of a 1972 Kawasaki 750cc motorcycle. And I'm positive! How do I know it's OFF of a motorcycle? Well, it's because if it's not ON one then it must be OFF of one

Seriously, due to the low max pressure I'd guess it's from a GOER or some sort of 'swamp buggy'.

#9: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:44 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Wow!, the first time I've been able to stump this esteemed panel of experts. Yes, I realize its not "armor", but in the past you guys have proven me to be the serious novice on this DG. It's nice to be able to get one up on you all, haha. This is a "Rolling Liquid Transporter- 1000gal", serial number- 0245. It's being pulled by an M52, 5-ton, the information I have on it is that it's date of delivery was 9-11-51, #5152909 Now that you know what the object is, how many of you have seen one of these fuel haulers before, in action?

#10: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:01 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

I have never seen a real set of that type of fuel system. Sad

The only type I ever saw was the ones I saw in Vietnam which Doug has posted a photo of. The type that looks more like a rubber bag than a tire like the type you bested us on.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:18 pm
    ----
Never seen one either. Must be 1,000 gal. for the pair. "top off" with air to 15psi (I wonder how this works...where is the valve and where does it fit in the liquid? Does the valve have to be at the top for this? Constant adjustment as liquid is depleted...or is it a "all-or-none" deal...transport full or empty and nuthin' in-between?

Maybe that's why we haven't seen any before....

#12: Re: What is this from quiz?... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 am
    ----
It was 1,000 for the pair. In the middle of the hub/wheel area, you can see two openings that look like "quick dis-connect" fittings. I assume that this is where the fuel was filled/drained from.
With only two days remaining before I left Ft Eustis, I returned to the museum on a gorgeous sunny day and rephotographed many items. I even climbed into many to get serial #'s, milage readings, etc... for my data base. If anyone wants any info on items there, feel free to contact me and I'll pass along what I have.

-> AFV News Discussion Board