What's This? (Quiz)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What's This? (Quiz) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:58 am
    ----

#2: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:01 am
    ----
Is the camoflaged part on top part of the 'device'

I suspect that the camoflaged part is just a removable cab top that was just stacked on top.

Or (mind kicking in to sneaky deceptive quiz mode) was it strategically placed to cover some detail that would give away the identity of the lower item? Hmmm?)

#3: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:04 pm
    ----
It's big. Too big to put in the back of my car.

OK that's my guess. Do I win?

#4: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:00 pm
    ----
Razz

I Know what it is.......!!! Shocked

Wink I was standing beside TW when he took the photo.... Mr. Green

Don

#5: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:36 pm
    ----
HaHa! I told Dontos someone would think it was a truck!

Clues:
It wasn't used in "Back To The Future"
It won't keep beer cold.
It never got off the ground.

#6: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:36 am
    ----
I didn't say I thought it was a truck. I said I thought you were using a truck part (The removable cab) to disguise the item.

It looks like it has a mounting panel/'oil pan' that it is mounted on. I was thinking some kind of transmission but I don't see any drive shafts coming out. There are a lot of pneumatic or hydraulic lines. And there are those dark 'tubes' I keep woindering if they are some kind of ammunition rack.

I wish that damn truck cab wasn't on top. and what is that big black flex hose for?

#7: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:55 am
    ----
- bsmart
I wish that damn truck cab wasn't on top. and what is that big black flex hose for?

Bob, neither has anything to do with the item, in question... Wink

I'm sure TW has some alternate view photos but they might make it too easy to ID.

Don

#8: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:00 am
    ----
Hi Mark and Don! Hi Folks!

I think we are looking at three different things.

The top item with the camo job on it is a hard top cab off a M35 or possible a M54 truck.

Under the item with all the hoses and black pipe is a half of a reuseable air tight metal shipping container.

The item with all the hoses and black pipe is a power (diesel/gas turbine)pack out of the STRV-103 tank, better known to many as the S-Tank.

Is that anywhere in the ball park?
Two out of three?

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#9: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:31 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

The item with all the hoses and black pipe is a power (diesel/gas turbine)pack out of the STRV-103 tank, better known to many as the S-Tank.

Is that anywhere in the ball park?
Two out of three?

BALLPARK? Shocked ....uh,.... Roy?

You got one of 3.

The last guess wasn't even in the same time zone... Laughing

The black hoses are exhaust vent hoses for vehicles running in a closed bay.

Imaginative guess to say the least.

Don

#10: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:01 am
    ----
I dunno...looks like a rotary magazine of some sort...for an auto loader? But yeah, a hard cab for an M-35, exhaust hoses and half a shipping container.

What were we talking about again? Laughing

#11: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:24 am
    ----
We have a winner! '68 Barracuda has correctly identified it as an AUTO LOADER. To be honest, I could never have touched this one. I'd have been clueless. I don't think we acertained if it was 105mm or 120mm. I think Dontos said it was probably off of the M1 'HIMAG' test bed. The buttons are WP=White Phosphorous, BH=Beehive HE=High Explosives KE=Kinetic Energy M=Maintenance????

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10924/normal_autoloaderbuttons%7E0.jpg[/img]

#12: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:14 pm
    ----
Whoo Hoo! Laughing

#13: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:27 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

VERY INTERESTING!

I see where I went wrong, there are TWO truck cab tops, no just one! Mr. Green

Auto loader?! Surprised
Is it upside down by chance?
That case (?) it's setting in, is that part of it?

Don't know what is was part of?
Sounds like it's time for all Scouts to conduct a reconnaissance and report back!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#14: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
Roy, I think it is in a shipping container. I haven't a clue which side is up or down! Sad

#15: Re: What's This? (Quiz) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:01 pm
    ----
I think it is in close to rightside up. The reason I think so is the ammo tube just above the 'control panel' I believe that is where the device would be reloaded by the loader/gunner. it looks like there is a lip to help guide the round into the tube. I would think that that lip would be on the bottom not the top of the tube. I suspect that after the round is put in the tube you would push the appropriate button to tell the system what kind of round is in that location. The device would then either advance automatically to the next tube to be filled or you would press another button (The black round one?) to advance the device.

-> AFV News Discussion Board