Problem with dual core processors?
-> CFS3

#1: Problem with dual core processors? Author: utinni PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:29 am
    ----
Hi,

I just got this game, and am trying to run it on my new PC and I get terrible stutters. I mean these are real bad so the game is unplayable - I even get them on the menu screen.

I have performed all of the tweaks in the tweaks topic, but it hasn't fixed it.

My PC is as follows;

Asus AVP8R-32 MVP Deluxe
AMD 4800+ X2 Dual Core
2GB RAM
ATI XTX 1900 512MB
Raptor 150GB 10K drive

I thought it should fly on this system with everything on full.

Could it be that the game doesn't like dual core processors? I know this was a problem with BF2.

Does anyone run the game on dual core?

#2: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: utinni PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:32 am
    ----
Okay well I thought just as I posted why don't I try the same thing I did with BF2 - worth a try right?

So I started the game, alt-tabbed out and right clicked the cfs.exe process and used Set Affinity to only use a single core of the processor.

And guess what - the game runs like a dream now!!!

So this is pretty much an info post - for anyone who has a dual core processor! Smile

#3: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:52 pm
    ----
Hi, utinni!

Thanks much for the question - and even more so, the answer! I don't know if anyone else here has really been in your situation, I know I'm not running dual core. Sorry we couldn't help but also glad you got it fixed.

And posting the answer is very much appreciated for anyone else who may run into it.

When I saw "stutters" my first reaction was the FPS limit setting but if you say you'd already tried it, that would have been a stumper.

#4: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:33 pm
    ----
Hello,

Yes, CFS3 is supported to run with dual processors, but the game does not like it at all. Stick to one processor and you'll be fine.

#5: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:25 am
    ----
utinni the big question is..with the serious rig it sounds like your running can you crank up all the settings to max??..if you can I'd love to see a couple of screebshots here of what it looks like maxed out...good luck!

#6: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: utinni PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:14 am
    ----
I've got some time tonight to try this out - I'll max everything and see how it runs and looks, I'll post some screenies - any advice on getting the best looking screenshots?

Also if I can run everything on max, is it still worth installing the MAX tweaks like clouds etc?

I read the readme for the terrain one and it said I needed to have it installed already - the one for download on this site is the update only?

#7: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:19 am
    ----
I'm not real sure utinni..I can't run the game very well so I never fooled with it much..

#8: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:55 pm
    ----
You may not need to worry about the MAX Cloud effects - they were designed to make the "setting 1" clouds look like you're really running on "setting 5". If you can run at the higher settings with smooth performance, I'd just go fly and not tweak something that ain't broke.

Same kinda goes for the terrain - if you're happy, let it be. I was pretty sure the terrain downlaod is all you need, it may be called an "update" in that it supeceded a previous version, but has no dependancy on that version being installed if you choose to try it.

For screenshots, I forget the key command in CFS3 to take one (Ithink it's PRINT SCREEN or some derivative - you can look in the key commands help in CFS3)...I mapped it to a joystick button.

The screenshot will be stored in you "My Documents" folder in the "COmbat FLight Simulator 3" folder there.

After that, heres a whole tutorial on uploading pictures and editing them, etc. if you need it:
http://com-central.net/index.php?name=Content&pid=17

If you want to good free program for cropping or re-sizing screenshots, check out Irfanview:

http://www.irfanview.com

#9: Re: Problem with dual core processors? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:45 pm
    ----
A really good Screenshot utility is Mgrab from Martin Wright. We have it in our download section complete with the .dll file it needs to run.

Here is the link: Click HERE!

-> CFS3