Swamp Ghost.....
-> Officer's Club

#1: Swamp Ghost..... Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:38 am
    ----
Is coming home!

For those who don't know....

Swamp Ghost is a B-17E that bellied into a swamp near Lae New Guinea after running out of fuel on the way back to Austrailia. She was shot up over Rabaul. She is the last known E model with the lower Bendix belly turret (I think).

More info is over at warbirdinformationexchange.org

#2: Re: Swamp Ghost..... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:38 am
    ----
:jump:...Thanks for the heads up Rob...:D

Recovery pics: Click HERE!

Smile

#3: Re: Swamp Ghost..... Author: 251_Senyu_IJNLocation: Xenia,Ohio PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:29 pm
    ----
Wow,

Nice pics, i seen a program just a while back about a team pulling up and old B25 that was in the bottom of a lake in Alabama. Amazing stuff.

My grandmothers cousin was a belly gunner on a B17 over Germany and was shot down and spent some time in Stalag 17 before being liberated from some woods that the germans marched them too. He's still alive and still has his stalag 17 prisoner card along with some other things, talk to him from time to time, bet he'd like to see these.

Thanks

-> Officer's Club