Question for the panel
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Question for the panel Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:37 pm
    ----
I was curious about what unusual armor has been found in Iraq. Before I left in the fall of 2003 I seen some pretty interesting stuff. I know the Iraqi's had a lot of captured Iranian stuff the to include some ITV's, Cheiftains, and Shermans. Were there any captured M47/M48/M60's found???

Joe D

#2: Re: Question for the panel Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:35 pm
    ----
Joe

Awhile back, I believe there were some photos of captured M60's & M24's in a 'junk yard'. Perhaps old unused Iranian captured stuff. Not sure where those photos were posted, perhaps Armorama several years ago?

Don

#3: Re: Question for the panel Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:46 pm
    ----
A lot of it was trucked off by Turkish scrappers just a few months after the initial combat operations.

Neil

#4: Re: Question for the panel Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:13 pm
    ----
Here's some of them:

There were also some M36's and I believe a couple of M48's in this mix as well. Source of this pic was somewhere on the internet about 2 years ago.

#5: Re: Question for the panel Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:10 am
    ----
Thanks Chris,
I see pre '73 M60A1's, a Cheiftain, and a bunch of BMY M47 specials. To bad they are gone, Was hoping to check them out if possible. Would've been nice to get at least on of those M47's to the states.

Joe D

#6: Re: Question for the panel Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:35 pm
    ----
That's a nice shot of one of those IR engine deck M47s. Back a million years ago I kit-bashed the old Italeri M47 kit to that configuration. That photo makes me want to dust off the old model and repaint it - maybe do an 'Iraq junkyard' diorama! Wink

#7: Re: Question for the panel Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:45 pm
    ----
I'll post a couple of more shots from this series later on tonight, including the ones with the M48's and M36's.

#8: Re: Question for the panel Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:07 am
    ----
Here's a couple more from the same series:

#9: Re: Question for the panel Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:51 am
    ----
Thanks Chris,
Cool pictures, My final post for a while.

Roy,
Sorry I couldn't take you up on your offer, been tooo busy here at the CRC. I saw the M60 at the museum today walking back from the post office. You need to tell them it's not an M60A3. (How do you make that mistake???) Duck Hunters, oh well.

Leslie,
It is a Plain M60 Serial number 59, Registration number 9B3159. pretty old. I didn't have a camera with me.

Joe D

#10: Re: Question for the panel Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:54 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Roy,
I saw the M60 at the museum today walking back from the post office. You need to tell them it's not an M60A3. (How do you make that mistake???) Duck Hunters, oh well.

That sign has been there for just a few months. Sad They have been told. Will keep telling them until it is corrected.

It took me almost a full year just to get them to put a back plate on a M2 HB 50 cal machine gun correctly. Getting a new sign made will probley require something like the Commanding General of the 1st AD telling them to get it done.

Most of the staff are ex-Duck Hunters or civilians that are into the Duck Hunter history. The only reason the museum has that M-60 is because the Base Commander saw it up at White Sands and ordered them to get it. With the 4th Longknife Bde (HUA) of the 1st Cav here now and the 1st AD coming, times are changing!

Maybe next time Joe!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#11: Re: Question for the panel Author: crustytankerLocation: Bowie, MD, USA PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:29 pm
    ----
Try wallace1212's Iraq book in community webshots for more of those Iran-Iraq war AFVs:

community.webshots.com...lace1212/4

Russ Vaughan

-> AFV News Discussion Board