Military Flights
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> FS2004

#196: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:38 am
    ----
I definitely imagine some carrier ops are in the future for military flights. The flight planning and mission setup for this particular exercise has been for an entirely "feet dry" operation over land, so we could install it but would never see it unless you want to revisit and revise the current parameters of this flight, or I imagine it would be installed to support another future activity?

#197: Re: Military Flights Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:59 am
    ----
rgr, future expansions is the goal, as for the moment we should stick to get this show airborne Wink

fled
Cool

#198: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:43 pm
    ----
Wellsir, we can try to squeeze it in if it can be done, just won't plan on addressing it in this mission....it could be there for some "Fight of the Intruder" kind of thing in the future I suppose.

FYI the prototype installers come out to 37MB for "Part A" which is everyting but the SE Asia terrain mesh....which is seperate since some folks already have it and although is HIGHLY MASSIVELY recommended, is still optional at about a 100MB download in "Part B" (with unnecessary areas of Thailand and Laos removed, even).

Both installers for Part A and B are making their way up to the FTP server for some early testing by the way.....still have other stuff to include, maps, briefing, final Phu Bai, all that. But all the essentals are there for trial flights and MP testing.

#199: Re: Military Flights Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:13 pm
    ----
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Can hardly wait to get this up and running !!

Big Compliments to all involved !!

As for the BIG E, maybe later on a expansion pack part "C"

fled
Cool

#200: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:36 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Wellsir, we can try to squeeze it in if it can be done, just won't plan on addressing it in this mission....it could be there for some "Fight of the Intruder" kind of thing in the future I suppose.

While that kinda' stuff didn't operate from Phu Bai, I can surely conceive of some missions with an emergency diverted landing there (for repairs or fuel) followed by a departure. The runway is just over 6,000' and I've landed (in the sim) a wide variety of high performance A/C there without a problem. Get those leaks plugged before heading back to Da Nang or a carrier. Make it a "Bingo" base or sum'thin'. You can get to Da Nang in 15 minutes or less, depending on what fixed wing you're flying and if you care about the cost of fuel....

#201: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:26 pm
    ----
Ascout, you probably know all about it but I did see this in a newsletter I get: C-130 scenery macro in US Army colors (probably better than the one I painted up a while back, even tho the descripion calls it "cameo" as opposed to "camo"):

"Filename: c130_as.zip
FS2004/FS2002 API macroUS Army Cameo C130 for scenery designers. This Vietnam era aircraft is still in use today by our military as a heavy lift transport airplane and also as a gunship. As a gunship it is fitted with rapid fire miniguns and even a howitzer as well as electronics that allow it to operate in all types of weather. As a gunship it is a fearsome weapon that is nearly unstopable. By Al Simms "

I downloaded it and will put it on the FTP server in the "Vietnam" folder if you don't have it already...just in case.

#202: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:20 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Ascout, you probably know all about it but I did see this in a newsletter I get: C-130 scenery macro in US Army colors (probably better than the one I painted up a while back, even tho the descripion calls it "cameo" as opposed to "camo"):

"Filename: c130_as.zip
FS2004/FS2002 API macroUS Army Cameo C130 for scenery designers. This Vietnam era aircraft is still in use today by our military as a heavy lift transport airplane and also as a gunship. As a gunship it is fitted with rapid fire miniguns and even a howitzer as well as electronics that allow it to operate in all types of weather. As a gunship it is a fearsome weapon that is nearly unstopable. By Al Simms "

I downloaded it and will put it on the FTP server in the "Vietnam" folder if you don't have it already...just in case.

I believe that's Al's and I do have it also. I was thinking to use the one I have (the proprietary one given to me that you painted) because it's better detailed and the biggest aircraft on the tarmac there.
BUT...I also have a choice to make regarding static helicopters: I'm using Al's Chinook macros because they work for the task and not demanding of memory...He also has UH-1 macros that are much less detailed than the "proprietary" ones I use now that are highly detailed (and probably ask more of one's system). I like the detailed Huey's, but am contemplating using Al's for spaces in hangars and revetments, and fewer detailed ones out where they are more conspicuous. I have about thirty aircraft of different types around the airfield.
I won't kid you, there is a noticiable frame hit particularly when viewing the field from ESE to WNW across the north side of the field..but one report I received said this seemed to be more associated with Marty's Camp Eagle (because it got much better when it was disabled), which lies in the distance 5 miles away on that axis of view. My computer is be no means a "high end" system by today's standards, and I can live with it...so I'm not much disposed to water down the scene to accomodate frames (there are a lot of structures along that north side). I'm building it the way I want to fly it.

Whaddaya' think about the simpler heli's in the revetments?

#203: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:51 pm
    ----
I think simpler is good. Detail is great but for a multiplayer mission, there will be even mmore going on and other textures from the "live" OH-6's, UH-1's, and CH-47's also placing demands. Detail is great but smooth frame rates add to the realism just as much as detail....and, it's a bummer if your landing at the end of the mission is blown due to low FPS.

Case in point: In PROPS, we have P-51's taxiing around without landing gear or wheels, and black canopies (except your own plane, which you enable detail on locally for yourself) specifically to keep poly's and detail down and frame rates high. No one even notices or comments on the missing landing gear after the first time, becuase smoothness brings with it, it's own contribution of realistic feeling to the show.

Just my two cents.

#204: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:04 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
I think simpler is good.

OK, I'll simplify some of the static aircraft for the uploaded MP version.

But no compromises on this. In fact, the crew had to take the day off because they ran out of concrete while building the terminal. The construction crew foreman sent along a few pics to illustrate the progress, though. It's going to be stunning!
(just Google-Image search for "Phu Bai" to see how stunning)

#205: Re: Military Flights Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:06 pm
    ----
I took the Sandy up for a quick flight last night, and I like it. The engine sounds are very good. To me it sounds like a big radial engine, as it should. The plane handles nice for a large fighter/bomber. I know it was a beast to fly, but I didn't have any trouble, and it is sweet to land. It almost didn't want to, and it slows to a nice slow speed for touch down. Thanks!

#206: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:15 pm
    ----
- RCAF_Wingnut
I took the Sandy up for a quick flight last night, and I like it. The engine sounds are very good. To me it sounds like a big radial engine, as it should. The plane handles nice for a large fighter/bomber. I know it was a beast to fly, but I didn't have any trouble, and it is sweet to land. It almost didn't want to, and it slows to a nice slow speed for touch down. Thanks!

Did you pick up your scenery yet? )"Wingnut's Place".

#207: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:46 pm
    ----
I'm flabbergasted!

I won't have the file in until I get back from Brasil, but it's definitely worth waiting for!

Speechless here....

#208: Re: Military Flights Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:07 pm
    ----
Yes, I got Wingy's place and will be adding to it, if it's ok with you. I have been playing with a couple scenery programs, and have a couple other things I'd like to have there than a cabin for myself and another for one other small group. I was going to make it like a small cabin resort for guests and friends with a few amenities. I was also going to add a couple helicopter landing points as well. I noticed the textures on the camoflaged base stand out and don't match the local terrain, and I may make a little adjustment if it is possible to better match the ground cover. I like what you have done, and the positioning of the base.

#209: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:37 pm
    ----
- RCAF_Wingnut
Yes, I got Wingy's place and will be adding to it, if it's ok with you. I have been playing with a couple scenery programs, and have a couple other things I'd like to have there than a cabin for myself and another for one other small group. I was going to make it like a small cabin resort for guests and friends with a few amenities. I was also going to add a couple helicopter landing points as well. I noticed the textures on the camoflaged base stand out and don't match the local terrain, and I may make a little adjustment if it is possible to better match the ground cover. I like what you have done, and the positioning of the base.

Well, I put the JG300 hotel across the lake because our parties are kinda' loud. There should be more than one cabin around, but some are not so obvious. Been a while since I last worked on or flew it.

#210: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:43 am
    ----
WOW!!! Nice work, bud!!!

-> FS2004