Strange Message
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Strange Message Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:56 am
    ----
I received the following message to my gmail account...........

Re: HiMARS = High Mobility Multiple Aerial Roc....

I was concerned about the safety of the 'commanders hatch' can you please help me with my conserns or direct me to the right personnel?? THANK YOU!! Sheila Meschelle

Now I deem this as suspect due to the following: -

1) I don't know the Lady

2) I don't answer messages from people I don't know or that cannot be verified thru' possibly mutual aquaintances

3) This message came via the AFV News old board hence HAS to be suspect.

Apologies IF you are legit BUT nothing about this smacks of being true or honest, hence my hesitation, plus the query itself is weird to say the least.

Perhaps others have recieved this?

Regards,

BUG the Suspicious

#2: Re: Strange Message Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:56 am
    ----
Hi Bug! Hi Folks!

[quote="buglerbilly"]
I received the following message to my gmail account...........
[quote]

Question for you Bug.
Back when we were using the old AFVNews site, did you use that gmail account with your posts over there? If so that is were she got it from. If not, that could be a problem!

- buglerbilly

Now I deem this as suspect due to the following: -

1) I don't know the Lady

2) I don't answer messages from people I don't know or that cannot be verified thru' possibly mutual aquaintances

3) This message came via the AFV News old board hence HAS to be suspect.

Apologies IF you are legit BUT nothing about this smacks of being true or honest, hence my hesitation, plus the query itself is weird to say the least.

BUG the Suspicious

1 and 2) I don't blame you with these two. Most of the messages I receive, I don't ever open if I don't know who sent them.

3) HAS to be suspect? WHY?
The old site is still there and anyone can pull it up and read our old posts.
Doing a site search returns 16 post with HiMars in the title of which 6 are yours with photos(not all of the photos are still there). From those six posts, it would look like you MIGHT have something to do with that system or know someone. That might be where she got the idea to send you an e-mail.

As for how she found them, just do an internet Google Search on 'HiMars' and it will hit on those old posts.

Apologies maybe in order because it doesn't strike me as being all that suspicious. I for one, am wondering why she would be so concerned about the safety of the 'commanders hatch'?

While I have not received this message (that I know of), I have met and exchanged e-mails with a few people that started much like this one via old site.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: Strange Message Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:29 am
    ----
Strange, the Himars is based on the FMTV 5 ton. The commander's hatch is basically the same as the machine gunners hatch on any duece or 5 ton FMTV.

#4: Re: Strange Message Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:26 pm
    ----
Could be that her son/husband/brother/father has been assigned to one and she is concerned about their safety.

#5: Re: Strange Message Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:53 pm
    ----
Yeah I used the gmail address on the old site BUT with respect to the Lady, I still won't respond to her query for the reasons stated. Call me paranoid BUT I have enough trouble with Spammers and Hackers trying to access bits of my system to feel happy..........sorry Lady!

Regards,

BUG

#6: Re: Strange Message Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:47 pm
    ----
Hey Bug!

Check your PM inbox.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Strange Message Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 pm
    ----
Response waiting for you Roy...........

Regards,

BUG

#8: Re: Strange Message Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:13 am
    ----
I'm away from home at the moment, but looked at the old board briefly. If she only emailed and didn't post, my "tools" are limited.

FWIW, my gut feeling is it's something like Gary describes....at best. Legitimate concern, but maybe not the right "forum" for candid discussion if you don't know what's motivating it. If it were me, and I were to answer at all, I'd have some questions for her regarding what motivates the question/message and who she is, exactly, citing legitimate internet security issues and the like.

I'd take care not to be drawn into a role that could have you being called as some kind of "informed witness" or something in case someone's loved one has been injured and they're looking for some sort of redress.

...or, we could all just be paranoid. Not an altogether unhealthy attitude in this day and age.

#9: Re: Strange Message Author: LeeW PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:25 pm
    ----
You could always create a throwaway account at Yahoo or one of the other similar sites. Use it for your conversations with her and abandon it if you want to.

-> AFV News Discussion Board