Dutch APCs before the YP408
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Dutch APCs before the YP408 Author: Mark_Jones PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:28 pm
    ----
Hello,

Since the Forum switched I have not been able to get access at work, which used to be my main internet source, so this is my first post in a long time.

As part of a mid/late 1950s diorama idea featuring a Dutch Centurion I wanted to add another Dutch AFV, preferably an APC. As the YP408 didn't enter service until 1959, what were the Dutch using before hand? Was it still M3 half tracks, or something else?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

#2: Re: Dutch APCs before the YP408 Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:09 pm
    ----
You might find something in the links on these page Mark

www.armymuseum.nl/lege...00103.html

landmacht.startpagina.nl/

www.startkabel.nl/k/de...x.php?nr=1

details of Sherman tank in service with Dutch forces

web.inter.nl.net/users...104/nl.htm

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#3: Re: Dutch APCs before the YP408 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:01 pm
    ----
- Mark_Jones
Hello,

Since the Forum switched I have not been able to get access at work, which used to be my main internet source, so this is my first post in a long time.

As part of a mid/late 1950s diorama idea featuring a Dutch Centurion I wanted to add another Dutch AFV, preferably an APC. As the YP408 didn't enter service until 1959, what were the Dutch using before hand? Was it still M3 half tracks, or something else?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

Well, I wish I'd seen this yesterday, since I just spent today at a Dutch Army/Cavalry base and toured an excellent museum there (where I took a lot of pics). However, if you can stand a wait of a few days, I'll ask my excellent host (who is a member here) if he can get a good definitive answer for you. I'll copy your question to an email and ask him to reply here or in an email that I'll forward...
My guess will be that it was likely wheeled, for pre-'59 (though they did operate half-tracks). This might have depended on the role of the vehicle...you looking for a scout vehicle or a people-carrier?

BTW, I counted at least 5 Cents there, most in very good shape and one amazingly complete...I'll post pics when I get home in a week...

Glad you finally got on with us, anyway...

#4: Re: Dutch APCs before the YP408 Author: MarcelP PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:20 pm
    ----
Hi Mark,

I was Dougs host for today. It was very nice to meet him. He emailed me your question, and I will try to answer it. Doug is right, whe did not have AFV in that time. The AMX and YP408 entered service in the early sixties. We used DAF 1 ton trucks and the NEKAF which was essentially a Dutch version of the jeep.
I will be on the base tomorrow and will check if the museum is open. If it is I will see that I can find someone there who is more knowlegable than me and ask him. But I am pretty sure aboyt my answer.

I hope this helps you in some way.

kind regards

Marcel

#5: Re: Dutch APCs before the YP408 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
...and until I get home, here is a link to some of the collection at the museum, which is nicely maintained:
(click the "glass" for closeups)

cavaleriemuseum_museum/tanks_pantserwagens

#6: Re: Dutch APCs before the YP408 Author: Mark_Jones PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:00 pm
    ----
Gentlemen,

Fantastic!

Thanks for all the help, the various links give me a variety of alternatives.

Doug, I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks again

Mark

-> AFV News Discussion Board