Absolutely & completely off topic
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:10 am
    ----
I'm sure someone else has these (and a set of bad teeth). Sadly, I don't have the complete set. I chose this one as it's probably the most inoffensive in our p/c age. Hope it brings back some fond childhood memories. The artistry was a little better (and more graphic) in the 'Civil War News' cards (but the gum was the same), I still have some of the Confederate Army money that came with this set (also incomplete).

Cheers, Dave

#2: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:59 am
    ----
Hi Dave! Hi Folks!

Those paintings came with gum?
What, something like baseball player stat cards?

New items to me, don't every recall seeing anything like that before.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:10 am
    ----
I've never seen them either. These days they would be totally not politically correct! Could you imagine the outrage if someone marketed these today?

#4: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:33 pm
    ----
I remember there was a gum [ I think ] and it had cards of scenes from the American civil war and old confederate paper money packed with it, when I say I think it was a gum I can kinda remember the cards and definetly the paper money but I can not for sure remember what it came with. But though, I only vaguely remember the US Civil War cards my feeling is they were much better quality drawn than the example shown above. On second thoughts it was just maybe I got some of the better ones because I think I only bought two or three packets.

collectables.search.eb...acatZ86693

there was also a "rocket series" it was based on real existing rockets and missiles and it came with sweet [ ie candy ] "cigarettes" for children, it was pretty accurate as it used photographs or very good illustrations and I think the text was okay too.

www.gdfcartophily.co.u...c7c621e61b

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited by Adrian_Wainer on Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 pm; edited 6 times in total

#5: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:41 pm
    ----
If you like nostalgic stuff, you will love this!

jetex.org/

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#6: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:16 pm
    ----
Yes, the Civil War cards came with Confederate banknotes. The scan is oversized (my mistake) and they actually look better in real life. I almost had them confiscated in grade school but convinced the teacher they were useful because of the capsule histories of battles on the back, LOL! I'm retired now but it's nice to know I can always go back to my day job...

Cheers, Dave

#7: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:54 pm
    ----
Laughing

I remember the ACW set of cards, I assume you are talking about the UK. I never remember the WW2 set. Did the Allies really use the 'drive-by' technique? The gum was horrible pink stuff, not sure I actually ate it.

I too have a UNCLE membership card, still works at most UK airports..

Cheers

JH

PS, I am joking about using the card at airports...

#8: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:55 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I've never seen them either. These days they would be totally not politically correct! Could you imagine the outrage if someone marketed these today?
Didn't they market trading cards of prisoners on death row or something like that?
www.courttv.com/legald...lipse.html

#9: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:14 pm
    ----
- jch_in_uk
Laughing

I remember the ACW set of cards, I assume you are talking about the UK. I never remember the WW2 set. Did the Allies really use the 'drive-by' technique? The gum was horrible pink stuff, not sure I actually ate it.

I too have a UNCLE membership card, still works at most UK airports..

Cheers

JH

PS, I am joking about using the card at airports...

Yup, the gum could be used as sheet styrene in a pinch. Don't laugh about the UNCLE card, apparently it got members of the cast out of more than one speeding ticket at the time! Also, the ATF paid a visit to the set, those P-38's really could go full-auto and they weren't licensed for conversion, nearly brought the series to a halt. Gotta luv the 60's.

Cheers, Dave (Ontario, Canada)

#10: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:50 am
    ----
Har, Har!

Back in 1965, after I took an Overseas Discharge from US Army, I took training on driving the Double-Decker buses in Glasgow, Scotland.

At that time the Indians represented a lot of the drivers, and the Pakistanis represented a lot of the conductors. One of the conductors told me of the commotion caused by a (cereal ?) company's promotion, that year, of including Confederate money in notes, and coins reproduced in heavy plastic. Many of the newly-hired conductors were cruelly fooled by the kids' passing off of Confederate money as contemporary American notes and coins.

Soon one could hear enraged conductors yelling, "No plastic money on my bus!" in that charming Subcontinent accent, like Peter Sellers, once they caught on to the ruse.

Thanks for the memories...

Russ

#11: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:17 am
    ----
- Russ_Buchan
Har, Har!

Back in 1965, after I took an Overseas Discharge from US Army, I took training on driving the Double-Decker buses in Glasgow, Scotland.

At that time the Indians represented a lot of the drivers, and the Pakistanis represented a lot of the conductors. One of the conductors told me of the commotion caused by a (cereal ?) company's promotion, that year, of including Confederate money in notes, and coins reproduced in heavy plastic. Many of the newly-hired conductors were cruelly fooled by the kids' passing off of Confederate money as contemporary American notes and coins.

Soon one could hear enraged conductors yelling, "No plastic money on my bus!" in that charming Subcontinent accent, like Peter Sellers, once they caught on to the ruse.

Russ

Somehow, I picture this as the fate of a couple of MP's at Ft. Oblivion or wherever it was that a young CIA agent-in-training Buchan and his cronies were sabotaging the ceremonial field gun with a modified bore brush or something.

Jeez, I'm glad you finally figured out how to post and make it stick...seems like old times....

#12: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:38 pm
    ----
Russ wrote:

Har, Har!

Russ

I must be missing something here, like I do not suppose that bus conductors in Glasgow Scotland would take American coins and notes [ Confederate, or Federal ( legal tender in USA ) ] in payment for fares?

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#13: Re: Absolutely & completely off topic Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:47 pm
    ----
Hope you like this weblink page for Gerry Anderson

www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat...links.html

and here is a webpage for Microsoft Flight Sim Gerry Anderson stuff

www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat...ga-fs.html

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board