Ft Leonard Wood
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft Leonard Wood Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:38 am
    ----
Just returned from Fort Leonard Wood and seen the following tanks;

St Robert, MO
2 x M60(A3?), one in Reed park off route 66 in St Robert. This one is in desert c/s. The other is on St Robert blvd at the north side of I-44, across the walmart.

At the fort itself;
Near the main gate
bridgelayer
Two barreled Sherman

also
M1 Abrams 105mm, instructional at the Chemical school
M1 Abrams 105mm, near another gate with an A-10, APC and a small ship
2 x M41 Walker Bulldog near a parade ground
2 x M4 Sherman, near the old WW2 barracks
M4A1 Sherman
M46 Patton
M1 Engineer variant? at the museum
Patton flamethrower, at the museum
M60 engineer variant?, at the museum
and some bulldozers
In the Chemical corps museum was a M113 with a smoke generator

Also at the Chemical Defense Training Facility is a M113 for instructional purposes

regards,
Lesley

#2: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:52 am
    ----
Any pics?

I'd like to see the Shermans and the Pattons especially! Smile

#3: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 pm
    ----
Send a e-mail to the following adres; panzerdels@ with yahoo.com and I will send them to you

Regards,
Lesley

#4: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:13 pm
    ----
Here's Lesley's pics from Fort Leonard Wood, posted with his permission. Unfortunately he didnt get a chance to shoot the two-barelled flamethrower Sherman.

M4A3E8 Easy Eight Sherman? - I assume this one isnt a flamethrower?

M67 Flamethrower Tank

M60 Main Battle Tank (in the town of St Roberts)

M1 Grizzly obstacle breaching vehicle - this is G002. The Ordnance Museum has G001. Notably, this one appears to be missing the arm...

Neil

#5: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:04 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner
Here's Lesley's pics from Fort Leonard Wood, posted with his permission. Unfortunately he didnt get a chance to shoot the two-barelled flamethrower Sherman.

M4A3E8 Easy Eight Sherman? - I assume this one isnt a flamethrower?

Neil

Thanks Lesley and Neil for the photos.

I would say that Sheman is a standard 76mm gun vehicle. The two barrel flame thrower vehicle should look like a 105mm How vehicle with a barrel added to the gunner's side of the gun mantle.

Comment about the M60(A0). That vehicle has the elevated phone box and top loading air filter boxes. The one here at Ft. Bliss still has the phone box mounted on the fender with the side loading air boxes.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#6: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:09 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

Thanks Lesley and Neil for the photos.

I would say that Sheman is a standard 76mm gun vehicle. The two barrel flame thrower vehicle should look like a 105mm How vehicle with a barrel added to the gunner's side of the gun mantle.

Well, I knew it wasnt a two-barreled Sherman Wink

But there were other flamethrowers that put the flame through the gun tube, just wanted to make sure this wasnt some funky Easy Eight flamethrower...

Neil

#7: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:38 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

I knew there were other flamethrowers that put the flame through the gun tube, just wanted to make sure this wasnt some funky Easy Eight flamethrower...
Neil

As far as I know, all the flame thrower(single barrel) Shermans used tubes that looked like the 75mm gun tanks. I am not saying it didn't happien, after all it is a Sherman.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#8: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:25 pm
    ----
Neil did you get a look at the front of the M-60? I'm curious if it is one of the 'TRAINING TANK ONLY' ones like the one in Thurmont MD and at Aberdeen

#9: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:35 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

M1 Grizzly obstacle breaching vehicle - this is G002. The Ordnance Museum has G001. Notably, this one appears to be missing the arm...

Do you have an image of the other side Neil?

#10: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:29 pm
    ----
BSmart,
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the tank (serial, constructionnumber). There was nothing on the frontal hull about ''training tank''.

Jim,
I'am afraid I have to dissapoint you. I didn't take a photo of the other side.

Regards,
Lesley

#11: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:19 pm
    ----
Lesley, did you see a T-54 around the museum/base when you were there? Was the M4A3E8 Sherman near the WWII barracks as you mentioned above, or elsewhere. If so, was the other one also an Easy Eight?

Neil

#12: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:17 pm
    ----
Hello Neil,
Yes, the T-54 was a Czech built example. Unfortunately it was not possible to read the c/n, but the last three letters indicated it was Czech built. It was located in front of the Burger king next to the class 6 shop.

Both Shermans were between the WW2 barracks and the ''new'' museum building.

Regards,
Lesleyb

#13: Re: Ft Leonard Wood Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:43 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
BSmart,
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the tank (serial, constructionnumber). There was nothing on the frontal hull about ''training tank''.

Jim,
I'am afraid I have to dissapoint you. I didn't take a photo of the other side.

Regards,
Lesley

Well if it was one of the 'Training Tanks' you couldn't have missed it Smile

It is in welding bead about 4 " high across the hull in front of the driver

-> AFV News Discussion Board