Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:09 pm
    ----
Thanks to my gracious host, Marcel, I just returned home with some interesting shots from a military museum with some very nice displays. I'll get them up here as I get a chance to resize and edit...but first up...What's this? Looks like it might be a flamethrower on a Shermanesque chassis. I don't see any recoil mechanism, and what the heck is that over the muzzle, anyway? Plates were welded into what looked like should house a secondary weapon in that pod on the vehicle left side.

...more to follow as I get a chance....

Doug

#2: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: BryanWilson PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:12 pm
    ----
Canadian Ram perhaps? Armed with a 6-pounder.

#3: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:22 pm
    ----
- BryanWilson
Canadian Ram perhaps? Armed with a 6-pounder.

armed with a steel pipe you mean - its the Ram Target Tank!

Bovington has one as well.

Cool

#4: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: BryanWilson PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:33 pm
    ----
Well, I got the Ram part right. Thanks for the info!

#5: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:47 pm
    ----
Round two...

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10454/normal_dutch105%7E0.jpg[/img]

and three...

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10454/normal_dutchsherman%7E0.jpg[/img]

#6: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:30 pm
    ----
...and the best looking Cent I've ever seen:

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10454/normal_dutchcent1%7E0.jpg[/img]

#7: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:40 pm
    ----
I still think Centurions are the coolest tanks ever.

#8: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:09 am
    ----
Are you still around the area Doug ??

I live less than 25 km from Amersfoort

Maybe we can meet up

fled
Cool

#9: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:15 pm
    ----
- Uhu_Fledermaus
Are you still around the area Doug ??

I live less than 25 km from Amersfoort

Maybe we can meet up

fled
Cool

Alas, no...I went on to Italy last Saturday and returned home Thursday nite.
Work, work, work....

#10: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:28 pm
    ----
- Hellfish6
I still think Centurions are the coolest tanks ever.

Well, just for you, then.... Smile

#11: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: servicepub PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:08 pm
    ----
Re: Ram tank,
Doug, May I use your photo on my RamTank page? Also, Is there any way to get the number, stamped in 1 inch (2.5cm) letters on the front of the final drive chassis - usually on the mudguard support bar that crosses horizontally?
This Ram may ne an elusive Command/OP tank and there are few (if any) survivors.

#12: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:13 pm
    ----
- servicepub
Re: Ram tank,
Doug, May I use your photo on my RamTank page? Also, Is there any way to get the number, stamped in 1 inch (2.5cm) letters on the front of the final drive chassis - usually on the mudguard support bar that crosses horizontally?
This Ram may ne an elusive Command/OP tank and there are few (if any) survivors.

You may, indeed, properly credited (Nice website, BTW). If you want higher res, PM me your email, I have a much better version. Also, the numbers I saw were on that rounded plate that forms the glacis, and are upside down. In high res, you might be able to make them out. I thought about a close up, but passed. MarcelP, on this forum, might be able to get you the numbers you want as he is stationed at that post...I think he'd be willing to help with a numbers search...he's a real good guy. If needed, I can email him.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:19 pm
    ----
Hereby to be known as the "Gavin-Lingle" (by me, anyway), I took some shots of the YPR-765 family (this may be a later version...I'm not an expert). The more I examined this vehicle, the more I wonder if we missed the boat on a satisfactory M113-M114-XM800 scout vehicle (prior to the Bradley) in a tight package. The closer I look, the more appealing this vehicle is. I don't know the service record, but I should think there would have been a role for this in our service, at least at one time.

#14: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: servicepub PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:20 pm
    ----
MarcelP, on this forum, might be able to get you the numbers you want as he is stationed at that post...I think he'd be willing to help with a numbers search...he's a real good guy. If needed, I can email him.

The numbers I need are stamped on the tube that runs across the glacis. I would be most grateful if you could ask MarcelP on my behalf.
Clive

#15: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:22 pm
    ----
- servicepub
MarcelP, on this forum, might be able to get you the numbers you want as he is stationed at that post...I think he'd be willing to help with a numbers search...he's a real good guy. If needed, I can email him.

The numbers I need are stamped on the tube that runs across the glacis. I would be most grateful if you could ask MarcelP on my behalf.
Clive

Will do...send me your email and I'll send both pics I have in high res...

(You can easily make out the numbers in the high-res version that show, I checked)

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board