JoeD's Pictures
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: JoeD's Pictures Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:43 pm
    ----
well folks It's the long way around but I think this will get Joes Pictures out to everyone

[ Joes Comment for the first two pictures
Attached are some pictures that I can't post. Pictures one and two are of a T-72 at Rustimiyah. The serial number ??? is 02BT5342. THe first character cannot be typed with the keyboard. It looks like a zero on it's side with a line drawn vertically through it.

Now the last one is a trivia photo. Here is what Joe says:

The third is a trivia picture. Don should know what it is but I thought it was an unusual use for it.

#2: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:15 pm
    ----
Final drive case for an ONTOS?....Nah...can't be....

#3: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:22 pm
    ----
I'm thinking the Trunion mount where the main gun is mounted on the turret
(and guys I only saw it a minute or so before you did and you got all the description Joe sent me :-))

#4: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:54 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Hey Joe! Thanks for the photos. Take care now.

I agree with Bob, looks like part of the the trunion mount for a main gun.

The question now would be, which tank?

Just a guess, but I would go with Chieftain for starters. If not, then it maybe from one of the Soviet T-series tanks.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#5: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:41 pm
    ----
Hey Bob,
Thanks for posting the pics, I guess this is the way I have to do this for the next whatever months I have here.

Yes it is a trunnion, but no, Roy, not Cheiftain or Soviet T series.

Joe D

#6: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:16 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Hey Bob,
Thanks for posting the pics, I guess this is the way I have to do this for the next whatever months I have here.

Yes it is a trunnion, but no, Roy, not Cheiftain or Soviet T series.

Joe D
No problem about posting.

Well at first I wondered if it was from an M-1 but have a hard time thinking that so I'll take a guess at it being from a Bradley. I think the casting marks inside it make it an American piece.

#7: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 pm
    ----
- bsmart
well folks It's the long way around but I think this will get Joes Pictures out to everyone

[ Joes Comment for the first two pictures
Attached are some pictures that I can't post. Pictures one and two are of a T-72 at Rustimiyah. The serial number ??? is 02BT5342. THe first character cannot be typed with the keyboard. It looks like a zero on it's side with a line drawn vertically through it.

Hello ,
The ''zero with a vertical line'' is a ''F'', the cyrillic ''B'' translates in our language as ''W''. So in our script the constructionnumber / factorynumber is ''F02WT5342''.

Overall, according to this c/n it is a Soviet built tank and the ''F'' indicates it is built in 1983. Another c/n I have from a Soviet built T-72 is ''F01WT3598'' which was built in january 1983 and was a T-72M (=A).

So my guess is that this is a T-72M.

Very interesting photo, is this one ''preserved'' at a barracks overthere??

regards,
Lesley

#8: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:55 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,
Bob, M1 is what it belongs too. The metal pipe was welded into the coax port. No one here seems to know why it's there or what it was used for since the current motorpool owners don't have tanks. Probably left by 1AD, 1CD, or 3ID, take your pick. It is very unserviceable.
Lesley, "preserved" is probably not an accurate description of the T72. Adbandoned and too much trouble to move would be more accurate. I imagine it was originally left as trophy but now just sits negleted. If you would like better pictures of it or of certain areas please let me know. Bob has been graciously supporting my picture posting

Joe D

#9: Re: JoeD's Pictures Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:18 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
So my guess is that this is a T-72M

It would probably be more accurate to say it started out in life as a T-72M

Cool

#10: Re: JoeD's Pictures - More Pictures M-60s Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:11 am
    ----
Joe just sent me a bunch of M-60s located all over the U. S.

I'm a little rushed tonight so here are a couple interesting ones to hold you through the weekend

This one I selected because of the interesting way it is displayed

And this one because of the uniqueness of it's 'equipment'

-> AFV News Discussion Board