What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:24 pm
    ----
Just a quick question I can't find in any of the references I have handy

#2: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:26 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

None of my referenced have the turret ring listed.

Sorry Bob.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Sad

#3: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:50 am
    ----
Don't have any sources but I seem to recall this coming up before. 1600mm rings a bell.

#4: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:16 am
    ----
Yep, 1600 mm according to Zaloga

#5: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:06 am
    ----
Thanks that comes to about 63". A Sherman had a 69" turret ring.

Why does he ask that you wonder?

Well I was wandering around some other discussion groups I occasionally visit and ran across this
www.whatifmodelers.com...10810&st=0

Interesting concept, I thought. Would it work? Well a 17pdr was a very tight fit in the Sherman's 69" diameter turret and I realized none of the books I had contained that information.

So if it was a tight squeeze in a 69" turret diameter I doubt it would fit in a 63" turret

Thanks for the answer,
But 7.5 hours to get the answer? folks I think we're slipping Wink

#6: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:58 am
    ----
- bsmart
So if it was a tight squeeze in a 69" turret diameter I doubt it would fit in a 63" turret

Thanks for the answer,
But 7.5 hours to get the answer? folks I think we're slipping Wink

Well if you had said so to begin with Confused , the tests done to mount a 17 pounder in the Australian Cruisers (both the twin 25 and eventually the 17 pounder) were done using a 64" turret ring. It must have been a tight fit, but it did work. Smile

#7: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:22 am
    ----
That one had slipped my mind. While we're on the subject, and since I'm at work and not near most of my references what was the turret ring of the Churchill and the Ram?

I know the 17pdr would not work in the Churchill (That was the whole reason for Black Prince).

#8: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:02 am
    ----
Chuchill - no idea
Ram - supposed to be the same as the M3, which I think I've seen stated to be 60"

#9: Re: What was the turret ring diameter for a T34/85 turret? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:39 am
    ----
Churchill Turret Ring diameter = 54 inches according to Fletcher

-> AFV News Discussion Board