War & Peace Show 2006
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:12 am
    ----
Some pictures of the KM War & Peace Show 2006, all taken Friday 21st July 2006, which looks to be have been brighter than today promises.

community.webshots.com...5338vpmwWd

Regards

JH

PS, it's not real snow!

#2: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:19 pm
    ----
Hi JCH! Hi Folks!

Super set of photos. Almost as good as being there.

Interesting tracks on that IDF T55. I would guess that means it runs and the owner can drive it on the public roadways.

Sense I live in El Paso, Texas that was a surpise to see a USMC duce and half with 'El Paso' on the door.

Love the walk around of the Chieftain AVRE vehicle with the pipes up on top.

That M3 Grant looks like it may have been saved just in the nick of time. Hope the current owner has the funds, time, and talent to restore it to something like new. I wonder how many M3 Grants have survied over the years?

THANKS for sharing!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:05 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
I wonder how many M3 Grants have survied over the years?

Aberdeen has a Grant - side skirts and all:

I think that Bovington has Montgomery's command Grant from the North Africa campaign (or one made up to be like that tank). I think I saw it in the background of one of Neil B's photos from his trip there. Looks like it was nicely restored.

Fort Hood 4th ID museum in Texas has a Lee on display (but no top smaller turret):

cn

#4: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:58 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
That M3 Grant looks like it may have been saved just in the nick of time. Hope the current owner has the funds, time, and talent to restore it to something like new.

The object was to preserve it as found on the range (it was used during WW2 to test Panzerfaust ammunition). It was only made mobile by adding running gear.

Hanno

#5: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:13 pm
    ----
M3 Grant Brussels tank museum

M3 Grant Bovington (british one?)

M3 Lee from Saumur Tank Museum
in fact this one was a recovery tank, the gun is a fake..

The Montgomery's M3A3 Grant. This one is exposed at the Imperial War Museum in London

#6: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:19 pm
    ----
This one is exposed in the Kubinka Tank Museum

Last edited by the_shadock on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:26 pm
    ----
Those Lee and Grant are exposed in Albury-Wodonga, in Australia (seems to be a M3 Lee with a bulldozer thing behind the second one..)

#8: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:53 pm
    ----
2 more, I don't know if they are still in place, seems to be at Aberdeen..

#9: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:54 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
M3 Grant Brussels tank museum

I've been to that one...they have an interesting collection, but sadly none of it housed protected well from the elements like their excellent aircraft collection is. All of it is exposed, and even under those eaves, they are subject to elements when it rains/snows, etc. I wish they could get a roof over that little plaza.

#10: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:59 pm
    ----
M3 Grant exposed in the Latrun Tank Museum, Latrun, Israel

#11: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:03 pm
    ----
Chaffe associates (US based military vehicles rental for the film industry) also have a Lee and a Grant

#12: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:17 pm
    ----
Canadian War Museum M3

So the count for now is 16... included the "fake" M31 recovery tanks like the one in Saumur

#13: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:27 pm
    ----
Dont forget the oldest surviving M3 Lee...

SN 2, the first Chrysler built Lee, in Newark, Delaware - discovered by Bob.

BTW, I cant see about half your pictures...

Neil

#14: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:44 pm
    ----
There's also this, quite possibly the only surviving M3A4 Lee...

It was last seen (June 2006) at the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles, where it has been for a number of years, but word is its being acquired by a collector, hopefully for restoration!

Neil

#15: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:50 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Chaffe associates (US based military vehicles rental for the film industry) also have a Lee and a Grant

These are both with the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles, same outfit basically...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board