War & Peace Show 2006
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:59 pm
    ----
- jcneel
- Roy_A_Lingle
I wonder how many M3 Grants have survied over the years?

Aberdeen has a Grant - side skirts and all:

BTW, like many things in the Ordnance Museum collection, this is "sort of" a Grant... Its a British Grant turret on a standard US Lee hull - the combo was put together by the museum since they didnt have a Grant, but did have a Grant turret...

But at least in this case it basically is a Grant, since I dont know any other qualifier to a Grant other than the turret... As opposed to the M4A4 Firefly - Firefly turret put on an M4A4 hull for testing - no British Fireflies had M4A4 hulls....

Neil

#17: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:10 pm
    ----
The US Army Center for Military History has this M3 Lee hull in storage at the Anniston Army Depot, Alabama

Fort Knox has an M3 Lee, as does Jacques Littlefield. And there were reports 4 years ago of an M3 Lee chassis in the base support motor pool at Fort Gordon, GA.

Neil

#18: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:08 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

BTW, I cant see about half your pictures...

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and it works perfectly.. I don't know what happens. Do somebody also have problems to see the pictures I've posted?

Pierre-Olivier

#19: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:14 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- Neil_Baumgardner

BTW, I cant see about half your pictures...

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and it works perfectly.. I don't know what happens. Do somebody also have problems to see the pictures I've posted?

Pierre-Olivier

I see them fine, at work and at home....both Windows 2000 and XP. IE6, I believe.

#20: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:27 pm
    ----
Maybe its just me internet connection (a little slow today). I am still not seeing the Brussels/Bovington/Saumur pictures.

Neil

#21: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:06 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
The US Army Center for Military History has this M3 Lee hull in storage at the Anniston Army Depot, Alabama

Fort Knox has an M3 Lee, as does Jacques Littlefield. And there were reports 4 years ago of an M3 Lee chassis in the base support motor pool at Fort Gordon, GA.

Neil

Well if we're talking about Lee's there are several others I know about (And you do too Neil :-))

There is The first Chrysler built M-3 in Newark, there are several at Aberdeen including a cast hull one on the parade ground and at least one more in storage.
[Okay after looking back deeper in the thread I see all of them were mentioned already ]

But I agree Grants are probably a very rare breed. I think to be a 'real' Grant it would have to have the internal stowage and radios modified to British standards

Last edited by bsmart on Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:10 pm
    ----
Check the thread Bob Wink

I already gave you credit for the Newark M3 and Pierre-Olivier posted some old Maryland Blvd pics of the two APG Lees...

Neil

#23: Re: War & Peace Show 2006 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:48 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Check the thread Bob Wink

I already gave you credit for the Newark M3 and Pierre-Olivier posted some old Maryland Blvd pics of the two APG Lees...

Neil

Yea, I went back and edited my respose before I saw your response

My comment about 'real Grants' stands. unless you canget inside and look ath the radios and storage I don't think you can tell. Even then many of them have been modified over the years for various reasons.

-> AFV News Discussion Board