Holland orders Bushmasters
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: MARKMILES77 PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:34 am
    ----
The Dutch government has announced they have purchased 25 Bushmaster Infantry Mobility Vehicles from ADI Australia. 23 of the vehicles will be delivered direct to Afghanistan from Australia for immediate entry into Dutch Army service. ADI technicians will accompany the vehicles to provide in country training and service. The remaining 2 vehicles will be shipped to Holland for training. The standard vehicle is already proof against 9Kg (20lb) antitank mines but some of the vehicles are receiving upgraded mine protection. 12 of the vehicles will receive a remote Weapon station.

#2: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:35 am
    ----
Well hooray for our side. But they're not -really- armoured are they? Why stick the RWS on it?

#3: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: MARKMILES77 PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:06 am
    ----
- Coldsteel
But they're not -really- armoured are they? Why stick the RWS on it?

They most certainly are armoured! Shocked

#4: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:04 pm
    ----
I know they're armoured, I just meant if you stick a RWS on it that it may encourge the vehicle to be used as an APC an it's not really armoured to that level, is it?

#5: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:41 pm
    ----
Hi Coldsteel! Hi Folks!

- Coldsteel

I just meant if you stick a RWS on it that it may encourge the vehicle to be used as an APC an it's not really armoured to that level, is it?

Armoured to that level? Shocked

Just how much armor must a vehicle have before you call it an APC?

Confuzed.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

#6: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:54 pm
    ----
At the risc of beeing a pain in the proverbial "***"

It's my partial property you fella's talking bout!

The Dutch taxpayers had to cough up something like 25 million Euro's for them tin cans and the best part is that they are shipped directly to the proving ground called Afghanistan Laughing

Have fun dudes !

fled
Cool

#7: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:20 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Armoured to that level? Shocked

Just how much armor must a vehicle have before you call it an APC?

Confuzed.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

I thought it's name would have said it all, the Bushmaster Infantry Mobility Vehicle, good for moving troops around and better than an unarmoured transport but not a vehicle you want fight from. I've done a little reading and it seems to be armoured to stop 7.62mm NATO ball not AP, good enough for an ambush but with those windows (anyone know how well they might stand up to repeated hits?) and such, I just can't see a really good reason to put a RWS on it, that was all. I'll shut up now.

#8: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:00 pm
    ----
As the British battlegroup in Helmand Province AF seems to be discovering, a Land Rover doesn't stop bullets as well as steel plate.

#9: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:42 pm
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
As the British battlegroup in Helmand Province AF seems to be discovering, a Land Rover doesn't stop bullets as well as steel plate.

We discovered the same thing with HMMWVs in Iraq. Sucks, really. They finally give you a cool-looking ride, and then the nasties punch holes in it...

C

#10: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: MARKMILES77 PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:08 am
    ----
The original specifications for the Bushmaster were for a vehicle which was proof against 7.62mm ball ammunition. Subsequently I believe the base specifications were upgraded to 7.62mm AP. The vehicles can also have what is called "Internal uparmouring". Presumably this is an internal kevlar lining. In the now defunct Australian magazine "Army" it was mentioned, some years ago, that with internal uparmouring the Bushmaster was resistant to 12.7mm ammunition.

#11: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: MARKMILES77 PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:54 am
    ----
Bushmaster at Australian Formula One Grand Prix 2007

[IMG]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/MARKMILES77/
Grand%20Prix%202007/IMGP1188.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by MARKMILES77 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: MARKMILES77 PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:22 am
    ----

#13: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:34 am
    ----
- MARKMILES77
Bushmaster at Australian Formula One Grand Prix 2007

And how did it do in the race? Laughing

#14: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:22 pm
    ----
And how did it do in the race?

It won, it just blew the opposition away! Mr. Green

#15: Re: Holland orders Bushmasters Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:25 am
    ----
I understand that the Bushmaster, while intended as an infantry mobility vehicle, was found to excede the level of protection provided by M113s and ASLAVs when tested.

However, that may be more of a criticism of the M113s and ASLAVs than praise for the Bushmaster.

I also understand that there is a direct fire support version and that may well have increased armour protection. Personally, if I was travelling in a Bushmaster, I'd be comforted to know that there were a few RWSs to suppress the bad guys.

Great photos - perhaps they could have a Bushmaster race instead of the celebrity dodgem cars.

David

-> AFV News Discussion Board