Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself...
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: George_BradfordLocation: Cambridge, Ontario PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:39 pm
    ----
Hi Guys;

Just to rub it in, over the past 40 years I have acquired ALL of Dick Hunnicutt's books on American Armor, and each one of them is signed by Dick himself, except for Pershing by Feist Pubs.
Anybody wanna bid on the batch??

George Bradford

#2: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:43 pm
    ----
Is there a reserve? Mr. Green

#3: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:05 am
    ----
George:

I'll bid $1 each (and all the venison in my freezer)!

Serious bidding may now proceed.

Terry

#4: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:29 pm
    ----
A day and a half later, and I still winning this auction! Boy, I love this internet bidding!

(George feel free to set a reserve if $1 each and frozen venison isn't to your liking.)

#5: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:41 pm
    ----
Makes me want to donate my own signed Hunnicutt Pershing/Feist book to your collection to complete your set! Wink

#6: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:09 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:18 pm
    ----
- Dubliner
There is a Hunnicutt 1st edition M26 volume in my local library. If the staff of the library knew the eBay value of this book, it would likely disapear.

What kind of overdue fees would we be looking at here? Laughing

#8: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: GT98 PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:48 pm
    ----
- Dubliner
There is a Hunnicutt 1st edition M26 volume in my local library. If the staff of the library knew the eBay value of this book, it would likely disapear.

Though mine wasn't a first ed, I only got $150 bucks for mine

#9: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:01 pm
    ----
Here comes the "stupid" question. How did this Mr. Hunnicutt become such an expert that people pay such huge amounts for his books. I hear about them being used on this DG for research and referencing all the time. I'd love to be able to view these books, let alone own them. I'll never be able to afford one, let alone and entire set, and signed at that!

#10: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:05 pm
    ----
Check the Fort Hood library, I suspect they have at least a few of them probably in the reference section (ie cant be checked out).

In the past I was even able to get them via inter-library loan... I'll admit I was tempted to "lose" them and presumably get charged the initial price, but my sense of community prevailed... Wink

Neil

#11: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:17 pm
    ----
Jeff,
They pay so much because supply is severely limited. All are out of print and were never printed in great numbers to begin with...and were not cheap when issued.

As to how he got so well informed, I'd put access, experience, source notes and meticulous research at the top of the list.

Speaking of source notes, here is the Hunnicutt collection of same at the Davis Library/Patton museum. I had the opportunity to look through these and the amount of infomation on foreign vehicles as design contemporaries and potential adversaries to the American designs (in which he specialized) was what surprized me most. While the books don't dwell much on "other" vehicles apart from any given book's subject, he troubled himself to be thoroughly familiar with the context of each vehicle's development. There was enough there to write tomes on any number of foreign designs.

#12: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:28 pm
    ----
Yeah, I have always wanted "Hunnicutts" on foreign vehicles. IMO, my personal "Hunnicutts" (or closest thing out there) on foreign vehicles include:

Centurion Tank by Bill Munro

Chars de France by Jean-Gabriel Jeudy (its in French, but its the best/only single volume reference I have seen on French armor development)

Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank 1987-2006 by Simon Dunstan

Challenger Main Battle Tank 1982-97 by Simon Dunstan

Challenger Squadron by Simon Dunstan

Chieftain by Rob Griffin

Conqueror by Rob Griffin

Czechoslovak Armored Fighting Vehicles 1918-1948 by Charles K. Kliment, Vladimir Francev

Germany's Panther Tank the Quest for Combat Supremacy: Development - Modifications - Rare Variants - Characteristics - Combat Accounts by Thomas L. Jentz (basically anything from Jentz is good)

The IS Tanks (IS-1, IS-2, IS-3) by Mikhail Baryatinskiy

Israeli Sherman by Thomas Gannon

Standard Catalog Of German Military Vehicles by David Doyle (best single volume resource I have found on WWII German vehicles, and at a decent price too)

The Panther & Its Variants (Spielberger German Armor & Military Vehicles, Vol 1) by Walter J. Spielberger

Soviet/Russian Armor and Artillery Design Practices: 1945 to Present
by David R. Markov and Steven Zaloga (best, most comprehensive English work on this subject I am aware of, started out as a project for the Marine Corps Intelligence Activity!)

Any of the old AFV Profile pamphlets are also pretty good...

Neil

#13: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:57 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Check the Fort Hood library, I suspect they have at least a few of them probably in the reference section (ie cant be checked out).

In the past I was even able to get them via inter-library loan... I'll admit I was tempted to "lose" them and presumably get charged the initial price, but my sense of community prevailed... Wink

Neil

Our local library solved that problem. They now charge 'replacement cost' which would be the cost to actually replace the book. ( It doesn't state that the WILL buy a replacement Rolling Eyes )

I am of two minds about 'loseing' books. About 3 years ago I had an old Janes checked out. Our Library used to have many years of Janes available with most of the older ones circulating. I noticed that there were less and less on the shelf. I also noticed that I was the only person who had checked this one out in the last several years (I had checked it out multiple times and put a tick mark next to the stamped return date) I thought about just 'losing it but turned it in. I went to borrow it a month later and it wasn't on the shelf. The on line catalogue said it was on the shelf. The helpdesk person marked it missing and I put in a reserve request for it. The next couple times I check back it hadn't been found. Then suddenly it wasn't in the catalogue anymore. I was told they had 'cleaned out outdated records'.

My sister is a school librarian and constantly gets told by her county supervisor to 'weed out' old books so the collection won't get outdated. The fact that there haven't been any better works written on a subject has nothing to do with it. If it is old it hurts their stats. And they are no longer allowed to sell discards to individuals. All books culled from the collection are sent to the central warehouse where they are picked up by a recycler who guarantees they will not be recirculated but turned into pulp.

#14: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:00 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
Reference the following from Señor Doug Kibbey's post:
"Speaking of source notes, here is the Hunnicutt collection of same at the Davis Library/Patton museum. I had the opportunity to look through these and the amount of infomation on foreign vehicles as design contemporaries and potential adversaries to the American designs"
Can you imagine a book on the T-55 from Mr. Hunnicutt doing for the T-54/55 family of tanks what he did for the Sherman? I realize Mr. Hunnicutt has retired from writing, I can still dream though! Even more day dream material: same as above only substitue Centurion for T-54/55!!
Just dreaming-
Geoff Steer [;-{/) Razz

Last edited by geoffsteer on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#15: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:08 pm
    ----
- geoffsteer
Hi Guys-
Reference the following from senior Doug Kibbey's post:
Geoff Steer [;-{/) Razz

Geoff, if we can just make that Señor, we'll be back on speaking terms again.... Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board