Huey in 4th ID land on display...
-> Officer's Club

#1: Huey in 4th ID land on display... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:54 am
    ----
I found this aircraft on display on the East side of Ft Hood, at the 4th ID airfield. Yeah I managed to get my truck in a photo for kicks. Is it me, or is this DG turning away from aircraft questions and pictures, and gone to something more like the "myspace" web site? What is the "ball" on the nose of this aircraft. I was suprised to see it on an "B" model and not something newer.

#2: Re: Huey in 4th ID land on display... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:08 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Is it me, or is this DG turning away from aircraft questions and pictures, and gone to something more like the "myspace" web site? What is the "ball" on the nose of this aircraft. I was suprised to see it on an "B" model and not something newer.

Jeff,
Regrettably, yes. And the less said about the influences responsible for that development the better. Rolling Eyes

Usually, you see the ball on "Charlie" models, but it was mounted on "B"s, too. In either case, they were frequently referred to as "Frogs", because of the appearance. You can see a "B" model so equipped in theater here on the 118th AHC page at VHPAmuseum:

www.vhpamuseum.org/com...8ahc.shtml

(They oughta' swap those sow pods off the "B" to the ARA Cobra over there and take the 7-shot pods and mount 'em on the "B". Wink )

#3: Re: Huey in 4th ID land on display... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:06 pm
    ----
The ball is mounts a 40mm grenade launcher.

#4: Re: Huey in 4th ID land on display... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:54 am
    ----
That 40mm greande launcher must not have had a large capacity for ammo. Where would it feed from?

#5: Re: Huey in 4th ID land on display... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:34 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
That 40mm greande launcher must not have had a large capacity for ammo. Where would it feed from?

A feed chute is supposed to be fitted on the nose behind the ball mount. The chute led back between the pilots seats to a canister in the cabin that held the ammo.

-> Officer's Club