Is This Legal?
-> FS2004

#1: Is This Legal? Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:07 pm
    ----
Porting textures from FSX to FS9.

forums.avsim.net/dcboa...9898&page=

Some say it isn't..some say otherwise.

#2: Re: Is This Legal? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm
    ----
It looks to me like one o' them things you could legitimately do at home on your own system, but would be on very shakey ground to distribute or post instructions on. I predict responsible forums will likely classify it with one or two other topics-that-shall-not-be-mentioned.

I notice it got locked at AvSim as soon as it was reported.

#3: Re: Is This Legal? Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:30 pm
    ----
Sounds illegitimate to me then.

#4: Re: Is This Legal? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:43 pm
    ----
Agreed. I'm sure the EULA for the demo may not cover doing this yourself on your home PC, so in that sense it isn't really "illegal".....more in line with experimentation.

To consider sharing or distributing it, well, at that point, yes you are distributing someone else's work unless the work came with permission to do so, which is definitely a no-no per the demo EULA. Even without that, in a sense this is like extracting some files from someone's freeware download and then applying it to another package yo9u own without the original author's intent or permission. So far so good, maybe. But then upload and start distributing that, and you have one P.O.'d freeware developer, for good reason.

To 'advertise' about it is to invite requests to share, and you'll notice that's one of the first responses. At that point the person (who, interstingly, paid another person to do it, and then claims it's just for his/her own use ) hasn't said no and the legal can of worms is opened. IMHO Avsim would be correct to delete or lock that thread just to stay clear of any fallout.

Even if it may not be illegal, is it right? Smells too much like abuse (or intentional misuse) for my pallette. Opinions will no doubt vary!

#5: Re: Is This Legal? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 pm
    ----
...and not only was the topic locked at AvSim, it has since been removed altogether.

I'd call that a big, fat hint that this is rightly to be considered a "hands off", no-go topic. Period. Wink

#6: Re: Is This Legal? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:49 pm
    ----
Laughing

Well whatever the guy did,

for shure he opened a BIG can of worms !

Laughing

#7: Re: Is This Legal? Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:07 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

Even if it may not be illegal, is it right? Smells too much like abuse (or intentional misuse) for my pallette. Opinions will no doubt vary!

Instances like these could force Microsoft to not release demo's further on if people do choose to abuse the privilege.

#8: Re: Is This Legal? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:13 pm
    ----
- RAF92_Moser
- JG300-Stoopy

Instances like these could force Microsoft to not release demo's further on if people do choose to abuse the privilege.

You make an excellent point, Sir.

#9: Re: Is This Legal? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:48 pm
    ----
That's exactly the thing man.....the question isn't exactly if it's legal or not, but is it cool to do. Many decisions in life come down to just that, what's the cool thing to do.

It don't look cool to me, so throw my two cents in the other direction.

MS / ACES developers went to a whole lot of trouble to make this demo for the community, and it's a first, not to mention a GREAT idea. God knows they didn't need the extra workload with the deadline for release coming up FAST and a lot of work to get done by the time for mass media duplication and production. So it doesn't seem very cool at all to parse out their work like that and try to make a look-alike.

One thing anyway...once you get the demo tweaked up and working, you realize there's a lot more under the hood than the pretty new textures anyway, so that's some consolation to the folks who made this happen.

-> FS2004