Sweet M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool...
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sweet M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 am
    ----
This M60 has to be the nicest and yet most confusing M60 I have ever seen. I swear it looks to be a runner, its so nice. It has 1-66 AR markings, and this unit is currently in the big sand-box overseas. This tank is in the same motorpool as the M4, "Barfly". I say it's confusing because the area on the rear deck where the serial number is usually found, is blank! It doesn't seem painted over either. The rear tow lug has what appears to be a 5744 cast into it, while the front ow lug has, 10 stamped into it. The left rear hull has a strange number sequence welded onto it. I say it might be a runner because nothing seems welded shut like on most display vehicles. Even the phone was in place on the right rear fender and looked good. Is it me, or does this turret look different as well? Help me ID this!

#2: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:15 am
    ----
Jeff,
It looks different because it really is. That, I believe, is the first gen M60 (an A-"zero" or "slick 60") with it's "own" turret (not one adapted from an M48). Notice how the right side is "swollen" to accept the M60 cupola that was subsequently used on the A1's and A3's.

Looks to be in very good shape. Mighty big numbers on those turret sides!

Looks like it has aluminum road wheels all the way 'round.

On the left side (rear) by the turret ventilator, you can see the stowage point for the AN/VSS 1(2) searchlight when not in use, which we discussed in another thread where it was mission from the vehicle that actually has the light mounted.

#3: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:38 am
    ----
So am I to believe that this is a rare vehicle? If so, I may go back and actually try and see if it's "secure". If it's not secure, I may have to enter it to make sure nothing has been vandalized or stolen. Of course I'll have to use my camera to record the interiors shape and condition. While I haven't seen the amount of vehicles and armor that many people on this DG have, I was amazed by this tank great shape. I also noticed the spot-light stowage point. I will try and shoot an e-mail to the two museum directors here and see who is responsible for this tank. They both seemed eager to meet me and maybe I can get some good info on it. Did you happen to see my other finds?, of course you did, stupid question. My son, Jeffrey wants to post all the helicopters weve snapped pictures of on "Officers Club". I told him not to expect much of a response because that DG seems to have gone "south" as far as interest in actual aircraft research and discussion. However we will post them there this week I hope.

#4: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:56 am
    ----
Jeff,
I don't think that vehicle would be considered rare...I'll let guys like Neil, Bob and Jim confirm, but my impession is that it was our "industry standard" M60 for years until the A1 was introduced. I could get off my butt and go consult my "Patton", but it's easier to await their input. Wink

My son, Jeffrey wants to post all the helicopters weve snapped pictures of on "Officers Club". I told him not to expect much of a response because that DG seems to have gone "south" as far as interest in actual aircraft research and discussion. However we will post them there this week I hope.

Post 'em...maybe we can raise the level of discussion from....well, maybe we can just raise the level of discussion. I wanna' see them anyway.

#5: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: oldtop PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:53 am
    ----
One indecater that this is an first production is "side loader " air filter housing which is the same as on the M48A3 upgrade, M60A1s picker up the "top loader" armored box type...and with which the vehicle was damned for its operation life.

#6: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:02 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

That M60A0, unlike the other one Jeff posted, has not be upgraded with a relocated phone box or top loading air filters.

Those two turrets look the same to me. Not counting tow cables, a M2 gun mount in the rear post, storage mount for searchlight, and some track block. Confused

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#7: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:51 am
    ----
Well, the only M60A0s I have on my list are the ones that have been identified on here in the past week... I probably have some mislabelled A1s admittedly....

Neil

#8: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:58 pm
    ----
Jeff,

That's a pretty "cherry" M60. It really needs to be protected and saved from well-meaning people who might want to stick it in front of an O-Club or on a range. As mentioned, it has the original air cleaners and phone box and is in great shape. This needs to be preserved as a rememberance to all the guys who served in Seventh Army in the 1960's. Some items need to be grabbed and saved while they are available. Look at the M48A3 - there are darned few left. Nobody thought to set a couple aside during the period when the remaining M48A3s were remanufactured into M48A5s. Now there seem to be a lot of M48A5s rusting in the ocean, but very few on display. I don't know if the Center for Military History would be interested, but being a big bureaucracy I'm also afraid that it would end up stripped and in a park versus in a protected environment. Another candidate for saving - the earlier M60A1s. There are a lot of M60A3s in parks, but not many M60A1s have been saved back for preservation. You can tell that I like the old "diesel dinosaurs".

Side note - With that stowage post for an M2HB, I wonder if this was an earlier M60. The M60 went into production before the M85 .50 cal MG was available, so some early vehicles had an "arm" mounted on the side of the cupola to allow external mounting of an M2HB. After removal of the arm, there was a flat spot on the cupola with four bolt holes.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to some interiors.

Gary

#9: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:59 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Well, the only M60A0s I have on my list are the ones that have been identified on here in the past week... I probably have some mislabelled A1s admittedly....

Neil

Isn't the M60 in Thurmont, MD an A0? Or is it early enough to be an A-? The same goes for the one at Aberdeen. Both of those are 'TRAINING USE ONLY' tanks which I thought were the very early production vehicles with defective armor.

Of course it may be that I'm not keeping up with M60 designations, It was around for so long, and modified so many times I get confused about the details

#10: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:04 pm
    ----
- binder001
Jeff,

Side note - With that stowage post for an M2HB, I wonder if this was an earlier M60. The M60 went into production before the M85 .50 cal MG was available, so some early vehicles had an "arm" mounted on the side of the cupola to allow external mounting of an M2HB. After removal of the arm, there was a flat spot on the cupola with four bolt holes.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to some interiors.

Gary

Gary,
I recall a reference that stated that some 300 of the first production M60's were as you describe above.

#11: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:11 pm
    ----
Thanks Doug, I wasn't sure how many "early" vehicles had the external mount.

For other posters - no the M60 "A0" isn't really rare, what makes the Ft. Hood tank interesting (at least to me) is that it is very much "as delivered". Even in Nebraska there are several M60s on display BUT they went through Anniston for minor upgrades that the Ft. Hood tank didn't get. The Armored top-loading aircleaners were mentioned, the early phone box, the original small periscope on top of the cupola (replaced during middle M60A1 production and on many rebuilds with a wider periscope). The fact that this old girl is a fugitive from Anniston or BMY makes it rare today.

Gary

#12: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:13 am
    ----
I plan to get to this on my lunch Wednesday. I pray it's unsecure and I can get in and get pictures without being hassled. So far the uniform, name dropping, and an authoritative voice have gotton me where I want to go. Wish me luck.

#13: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:32 pm
    ----
The location of the turret lift rings makes this an early M60. The early M60s had the lift rings in the same spot as the M48 turret; one centered behind the mantlet and one on each of the rear sides of the turret.

Later M60 turrets had the lift rings in the same spots as the A1/A3. They had lift rings to the right and left of the mantlet and the third ring centered on the rear of the turret roof.

Nice photos.

#14: Re: Sweat M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:15 pm
    ----
Hello to all again. I recieved an e-mail to my military account from Doug saying that there had been some interest about this M60 I found back in August of 2006, in a 4ID motorpool. I searched back and found this original posting about 50 pages or so ago. This tank has since been moved from a rear motorpool storage location to a different motorpool where it now sits as a gate guard of sorts. Last time I really saw it was about 6 months ago so it may have been moved again since I don't get to that area of post much anymore. It was under control of the 4ID museum. The 4th ID main body has been coming back over the past few weeks and soon they will be moving to Ft Carson to set up home there, and 3rd ACR will assume their footprint here at Ft Hood.
I am currently working as Cadre with the Wounded Warrior Transition Unit here at Ft Hood. Between that and both of my sons football, soccer, and baseball games and practices, I am very busy. Not to mention my oldest son and I are restoring a 1974 Dodge Dart that will be his first car. So sorry for the long absense.
Joe D., shoot me an e-mail if you plan to come down this way and I will try my best to accomadate a visit for you. The M60 in these pics was unlocked and I climbed inside and took alot of pictures, but I can't seem to find them currently. When I do, I will add them to this thread as well. There were pictures of the breech, etc...

#15: Re: Sweet M60 found in Ft Hood Motorpool... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
    ----
Jeff,
Good to hear from you again!

Any word what will happen to the 4th ID Museum? Are they going to try to move all of it to Carson? Or get merged with the 1st AD Museum?

Similarly, any sign of 3rd ACR museum items showing up on post?

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board