Help with USB port specs....
-> Hardware

#1: Help with USB port specs.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:05 pm
    ----
Halp needed.....

I'm in the market for an external HD and noticed that most specify or prefer USP 2.0 ports.

What is the best way to determine what kind I have? Need explicit step-by-step instructions. I have a 3.5 year old gateway system that I've upgraded with memory and vid card...what is it likely to have and where do I determine that? I've got about 6-8 USB ports...some on the back, some on the front (some occupied with joystick, stuff like that). What is best to use on what?

Thanks!

#2: Re: Help with USB port specs.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:21 pm
    ----
3.5 years ago is just about when USB2 was being introduced.
It could be either.
You could also have a mix of USB and USB2.
If the mobo isn't a Gateway proprietary board I may be able to look up the manual and find out for you but I'd need to know the model.

#3: Re: Help with USB port specs.... Author: IMS_Dakota PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:45 am
    ----
Look in your device manager under the USB controllers heading
If you don't see one that says USB 2.0 enhanced host controller (or something similar) you probably only have the older USB ports.

#4: Re: Help with USB port specs.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:58 am
    ----
- IMS_Dakota
Look in your device manager under the USB controllers heading
If you don't see one that says USB 2.0 enhanced host controller (or something similar) you probably only have the older USB ports.

Thanks, Dakota...that got me on this track. Seems I have ONE. Now...how to tell which one it is?

#5: Re: Help with USB port specs.... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 am
    ----
They'll all be 2.0 capable Ascout, that's the controller listed... Wink

#6: Re: Help with USB port specs.... Author: IMS_Dakota PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:17 pm
    ----
Actually that will vary from board to board. I've seen several with both 1 and 2. If you plug in your 2.0 device and a pop-up appears saying that you can improve performance by using a 2.0 port, then you have the wrong one.

#7: Re: Help with USB port specs.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:35 pm
    ----
Yep, mine's 1 and 2.
Got 6 standard and only 2 are USB2.
I hadda go buy a add-in card ta get four more.
Smile

-> Hardware