Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 pm
    ----
I was recently surprised to find that there is a M75 group, and now that there is an M113/M114 group:
groups.yahoo.com/group/M114-M113/

Neil

#2: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:50 am
    ----
I'm going to have to check this out and possibly become a member! Thats an 11th ACR M114 they're posting! Has Roy seen this!!!

#3: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:02 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I just checked the site out! Looks like it's for folks who own one!
I have seen that photo before. I think that vehicle is an old display vehicle during the 11th's time in Germany.

Far Out!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:30 pm
    ----
Yeah, I just noticed that, it says "Not modelers or general discussion by the masses (No offense)."

Neil

#5: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:32 pm
    ----
How about former owner/operators? Laughing

Well, there's always the small discussion group at Wikipedia for the M113, where the proponent of a certain "name" gets thoroughly skewered for repeated attempts to edit the Wiki to include the "G" word. Looks to have had his IP blocked or something though (and some vigilant person(s) seem to undo the dastardly efforts...and I wasn't even involved!) It makes for amusing reading if not particularly enlightening.

How much can there be so say about the bucket that we haven't said here or at the old address at one time or another?

#6: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
So how long till the M114 page gets similarly edited? Wink

Neil

#7: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:52 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

You mean someone is trying to hang the Gavin name on our Lingles? Shocked Shocked Shocked

TO ARMS, TO ARMS this cannot be allowed!!

#8: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:42 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

Don't even joke about a thing like that, you expect Roy to go about editting out his own name from el wiki?!

#9: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:26 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

Don't even joke about a thing like that, you expect Roy to go about editting out his own name from el wiki?!

Hey! I was a tank and infantry battalion and cavalry troop scout, not Army Security Agency computer hacker!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Rolling Eyes

#10: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:29 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

Hey! I was a tank and infantry battalion and cavalry troop scout, not Army Security Agency computer hacker!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Rolling Eyes

When you were in the Army a computer was a specially marked slide rule that was used to adjust artillery fire

#11: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:48 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

When you were in the Army a computer was a specially marked slide rule that was used to adjust artillery fire

Slide rule for adjusting artillery fire? Shocked

Scouts didn't need no slide rule. Used Mark One eye ball, a pair of binos, a map if we had one, that some gray matter that was stored inside and under the brain bucket.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#12: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:09 am
    ----
- bsmart

...or a white metal box to the gunner's right that cranked in superelevation based on ammo selection and ranging info. See Joe D.'s avatar. Wink

The next CIA quiz will center on what the index marks at 12-3-6-9 o'clock on 90/105mm gun muzzles are for. Laughing

(I described this to A2 tankers at Ft. Irwin a coupla' years ago and they looked at me like I was trying to sell them a used car....)

#13: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:26 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

The next CIA quiz will center on what the index marks at 12-3-6-9 o'clock on 90/105mm gun muzzles are for. Laughing

(I described this to A2 tankers at Ft. Irwin a coupla' years ago and they looked at me like I was trying to sell them a used car....)

I assume it is the same as every other gun since probably the Civil War when breechloaders came into use. It was for putting the horsehair in place to boresight the gun.

Last edited by bsmart on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

#14: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:32 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

Slide rule for adjusting artillery fire? Shocked

Scouts didn't need no slide rule. Used Mark One eye ball, a pair of binos, a map if we had one, that some gray matter that was stored inside and under the brain bucket.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

But if I remember correctly they used the 'computer' back at the FDC to figure what combination of charge and elevation to use to put the round where your calibrated eyeball wanted it. Memories from a long time ago.

#15: Re: Did y'all know there is a M113 / Lingle discussion group? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:00 am
    ----
Hey Doug,
Should have seen the looks of the tankers I talked to when I got Roy's hub picture the other day. It happened when I told them A1's used to mean M60A1's instead of M1A1's. Even those AIM A1's are quite a bit different from when I had my A1's. Time flys. BTW, that metal box still works.
Bob, Did you get the picture to Roy???

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board