USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#286: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:20 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
AFV register candidate?

I think you have this one already, but just in case.

Across the street from the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo. A friend thought I might be interested. See, it does make you smarter!

I don't know why it's displaying sideways. It was taken that way and I rotated it before uploading to Photobucket. Stubborn!

Pretty certain its this one?

www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2RTX

Neil

#287: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 am
    ----
Plaque appears to be the same, pretty sure that's it.

Just a friend of mine tryin' to be helpful...

#288: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:34 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- vagabond
Neil, Trevor and the gang -

On our way to the airshow in Michigan, we've been stopping off at AFV locations. Today we were at:

Joint Forces Reserve Center, 106 Army-Navy Rd (near Ash St) (N38 31.983 W81 55.947) M41 Walker Bulldog

There was NO sign of an M41. Went inside the bldg to look for someone to ask about it and could get no info.
I looked for the flagpole/building combination in the photo from Trevor's site and nothing matched.

Will post photos soon from the other locations we visited.

Cheers,
VB

VB,
Which town was this?

Neil

Oops! Neil it was in Eleanor, WV.

#289: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:50 pm
    ----
Neil (& anyone elese interested)

Richardson Motor Pool no longer contains any armored vehicles.

Today, Friday July 29, 2011, Cobra King was finally loaded up on a heavy hauler trailer and departed Ft Knox for Ft Benning.

BTW: The RSO departed on Wednesday.

These two vehicles were the last armored vehicles in RMP and they too are now gone.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Regards
Don

#290: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:36 am
    ----
A sad day.

#291: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:02 pm
    ----
Neil -

As listed in my photo gallery post - GPS and address for the Hazle Township Community Park in Hazleton, PA is:

Hazle Township Community Park - N40 58.838 W76 0.383
Near Intersection of Pecora/CO RD 44 & W27th St

#292: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 pm
    ----
Neil -

I visited the Military Museum of Southern New England in Danbury, CT for open turret day on 7/31/11. I asked one of the staff to look at the AFV registry entry for the museum and check it for accuracy.

I found out:

The museum NEVER had an M60A3.
One of the M39’s was sold to someone in England. They still have one M39 stored in the back area.
One of the M22’s was sold. The museum has one displayed inside and a second stored in the backyard. The stored M22 is missing it’s turret. According to the young docent that gave me a backstage tour, the second M22 was converted by the Britsish for use as a personnel carrier.
The museum has a Kettenkrad formerly owned by Steve McQueen.
No sign of a 1917 and I didn't get a chance to ask. I'll try and find out about it before we leave the area.

I climbed into every vehicle I could and took interior photos as well as exterior shots. I'll post our photos soon.

I took the Kettenkrad out for a spin and attempted to recreate the motorcycle scene from “The Great Escape” by jumping fences and such. After a short stay in the hospital, I have recovered sufficiently enough to type. Solid food, maybe next week and a role in Jackass 4 for sure!

Ok - I made that last part up, but the rest is accurate. LOL!

Cheers,
VB

#293: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 pm
    ----
- vagabond
One of the M22’s was sold. The museum has one displayed inside and a second stored in the backyard. The stored M22 is missing it’s turret. According to the young docent that gave me a backstage tour, the second M22 was converted by the Britsish for use as a personnel carrier.
The museum has a Kettenkrad formerly owned by Steve McQueen.
No sign of a 1917 and I didn't get a chance to ask. I'll try and find out about it before we leave the area.

I climbed into every vehicle I could and took interior photos as well as exterior shots. I'll post our photos soon.

Hello Paul,

I'm very interested in seeing some photos of the turretless M22 Locust. For sure, I'll ask you for permission to re-use a picture in the M22 Locust survivors PDF file.

Pierre-Olivier

#294: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 pm
    ----
Hello P-O!

I've posted the photo gallery from the Military Museum of Southern New England to our smugmug site - the post is in the general forum - including two photos of the 2nd M22.

We're glad to give you permission to use the photos for the surviving registries! We really appreciate the effort all of you put in to documenting the AFVs!

Cheers,
VB

#295: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:56 am
    ----
- vagabond

Having done some quick researches, I've found a photo of the T-18 prime mover, which is a turretless M22 intended to tow the 105mm howitzer :

It looks a bit like the turretless M22 from Danbury, but it is not 100% the same. However, I've not found any trace of a British APC conversion.

P-O

#296: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:14 am
    ----
Neil -

We stopped by Durant, MS to look for the M7B2 listed in the registry as follows:

DURANT
C/2-114 Field Artillery, Mississippi Army National Guard Armory M7B2 Priest

We found a CLOSED MS ANG Armory bldg with nothing left but an old trash can. Bummer.

#297: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:22 am
    ----
Neil -

Stopped by Fort Leonard Wood, MO today and have some additions/changes for the registry.

Firstly, the base was hit by a tornado on 12/31/10. It touched down near the museum complex and took out some of the WW2 barracks. It blew down a lot of the trees that had been previously planted around the vehicles - a staff member from the MP museum told me that a number of the trees ended up on top of the M42B1E9 Sherman! Also the M132A1 was blown off its concrete pad and the MP boat was blown over. The boat is under restoration and the other outside exhibits are looking good.

The M728 is on display in the vehicle park across from the museum complex. It is SN 1. I verified this with one of the Engineering Museum staff.

They’ve added an uparmored Humvee to the static displays - it arrived during our visit.

We found a V706 Commando displayed at the 14th MP HQ on the corner of Iowa Ave and W 16th Street.

The M939 Gun Truck is located on the NW corner of Iowa Ave & Minnesota Ave.

#298: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:24 am
    ----
Neil -

Also, we stopped by the Missouri Veterans Home in St James, MO and didn't see the M-56 listed in the registry. No sign of anything but a pair of old cannon barrels.

#299: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:19 am
    ----
Registry update - Neil, et al

The AFV on display at:

Georgia Army National Guard Armory
1248 Eisenhower Dr, Savannah, GA
N32 0.371 W81 5.882

IS an M37.

The photo gallery post is posted in the main forum area.
Cheers,
VB

#300: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
    ----
Neil and the gang -

On 11/10/11, we stopped by:
US Army Reserve Center, 3181 Gun Club Rd
West Palm Beach, FL
(N26 40.397 W80 5.445)

There are NO AFVs on display. The two concrete pads in front of the bldg are empty. I attempted to enter the bldg and inquire, but could not - locked up tight.
We looked around the best we could, but saw no sign of the M42 and M110A2 listed in the registry.

Cheers!

-> AFV News Discussion Board