USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:17 am
    ----
FYI, there is now a Belgium AFV Register - lead by Michel van Loon with my help. See the first page.

Neil

#62: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm
    ----
some minor additions/corrections to the register :

TURNHOUT
Private collection
M4(105) Sherman USA/BEL std “Joe Dope;” Runner

"Joe Dope" was formerly owned by a French guy, who owns the Jeepest store (http://www.jeepest.com/), it was sold very recently. So I'm not sure the "USA/BEL" is justified in this case.

BASTOGNE
Bastogne Historical Center, Colline du Mardasson (N50 00.624 E005 44.340)
G-13 Hetzer DEU/CSK/CHE out
M5 Stuart turret USA out

The G-13 is now inside and it was repainted.
It seems to me that the turret is from an M5A1 Stuart.. (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569237811ZrZubM)

Also there are some Fireflys missing :

DURBUY (Luxembourg region)
Private owner (Thierry Destine)
M4A? Sherman wreck (only the bottom hull, very badly damaged)
Achilles hull (very badly damaged too)
M4A? hull (badly damaged)
M4 composite hull (seems to be in good condition)
M4A1 hull (unknown condition)
M4A? Firefly hull (seems to be in quite good condition)
M4 (75) turret (missing gun)

photos to be found here : http://the.shadock.free.fr/photos/durbuy/

Apparently, the guy wants to keep these wrecks in order to restore at least some of them (the others will be very difficult to restore), to display them in a museum. A friend of mine asked to buy at least one hull and the owner refused the offer.

the tanks are practice targets from the Elsenborn fire range, Belgium
(information and photos from Dirk Van Ooteghem)

to be continued...

P-O

#63: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:36 pm
    ----
I knew this would happen of course Wink

P-O, do you expect more updates shortly?

Neil

#64: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 pm
    ----
Neil,

probably not very soon, except for this one : I just found that the M3 Lee is for sure no more at Brussels (not seen when I visited the museum) but either in Kappellen or Vissenaken.

P-O

#65: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: sapper141 PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 pm
    ----
Neil
You can add 2 CDN M113a2's to the Canada list, they are located at the memorial in front of the Legion in Drayton Valley, Alberta, Canada. They were dropped off there in November 08.
Couldn't get close to get SN's But I did get pictures of the I.D. numbers if that helps.
Seeya Sapper141

#66: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:50 pm
    ----
there is (most probably, I'm not sure, it 's hard to tell), a RSO Ost at Ecaussinnes (Hainaut) :

P-O

#67: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 am
    ----
- Tanklord
Just found one that's not on the list. In front of the LAARNG armory in Abbeville, LA is a M114. I will stop by in 2 weeks and get serial numbers. I was told it may be put in a local museum since that guard unit, 2/156 Inf, will be light infantry, no longer mech.

Good luck on getting any useful numbers off a Lingle. I don't think we have found any numbers on the exterior that can be trusted to mean anything

#68: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:35 pm
    ----
P-O
TURNHOUT
Private collection
M4(105) Sherman USA/BEL std “Joe Dope;” Runner

Had a short talk with some of the crew in May last year when they where in Brasschaat. Only had a few minutes, so I asked the wrong questions. It will be corrected in the next version.

Durbuy: They are new to me, looking at the pictures that guy has a lot off courage. Seems strange to me that the museum sold those wrecks, usualy getting a single bold from them is a hell off a job (and I work for them).

That RSO is also new to me but I'm sure that isn't the last one out there.

Michel

#69: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 am
    ----
- Tichenor

Durbuy: They are new to me, looking at the pictures that guy has a lot off courage. Seems strange to me that the museum sold those wrecks, usualy getting a single bold from them is a hell off a job (and I work for them).l

Michel,

these wrecks don't come from a museum, but from the Elsenborn training area.

P-O

#70: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:16 pm
    ----
P-O
Clarification is needed here, all the wrecks on the ranges are the property off the Royal Army Museum in Brussels. That creates the strange situation that you can fire upon a wreck and blow it to tiny bits, but you can’t get a part of it without the permission of the museum. It’s very rare that the museum gives permission to sell a wreck, I never even heard of such a sell.
Michel

#71: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:06 pm
    ----
well, that's what I've been told.. I can't tell you more about this.

P-O

#72: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:38 pm
    ----
Neil

Another new one: M7B1 in a local community park, Slippery Rock, Pa
Link: groups.yahoo.com/group...ssage/8262

Michel

#73: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:21 pm
    ----
Neil : updates for the USA AFVs register :

ILLINOIS

VOLO
Volo Auto Museum, 27582 Volo Rd
Sd.Kfz.251 DEU ind

I think that this is indeed an OT-810. It has openings for a rifle and no toolboxes on the sides.

INDIANA

VINCENNES
Indiana Military History Museum, 4305 Bruceville Rd
Sd.Kfz. 251 SPW DEU ind

Also an OT-810

UTAH

TOOELE
Karl Smith collection
Sd.Kfz. 251 SPW DEU ind

Also an OT-810 (exhaust system on the wrong side and air cooler grid at the front of the upper engine plate)

P-O

Last edited by the_shadock on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

#74: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:47 pm
    ----
Neil

At the Fort Snelling Military Museum, they have a M3A1 halftrack witch isn't on the register and and the M7B1 is a B2
See: www.fsmm.org/personnelcarriers.htm and www.fsmm.org/guns.htm

Michel

#75: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Register Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 am
    ----
Did some trimming of this thread today so some old posts, old business, and old issues are gone. Things were probably getting bewildering for new visitors so if it seemed no longer relevant or had been incorporated into updates to the registry, it was pruned. Old posts with potentially useful links are left intact, so if somewhere a post quotes or answers a previous post that you can't find, that's why.

Keep up the great work!

-> AFV News Discussion Board