Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:03 am
    ----
Apparently this of the vehicles that were scrapped during the Korean war...

I see at two T-34/85s up front (and a third without a barrel?) and the Minenraumgerat mit Pz.Kpfw. Antrieb in the background... And behind it an Sd.Kfz. 232 or 233 armored car? There might be an M7 Priest in the top left?

Can anyone make anything else out?

BTW, this pic comes courtesy of Joe DeMarco.

Neil

#2: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:16 am
    ----
Looks like an M4 with no turret sitting behind that stack of pallets / crates. Joe loves Shermans so it may have been the focus of this picture?!

#3: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:28 am
    ----
BTW, here is a closeup of the Minenraumgerat mit Pz.Kpfw. Antrieb and the Sd.Kfz. 232/233 - I think you can actually see someone on top of the latter cutting it apart and workers/soldiers walking to the right as well?

I dont think there are too many pics of the Minenraumgerat mit Pz.Kpfw. Antrieb so I thought it would be worth a crop...

Neil

#4: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:29 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I think that closest vehicle is a SU-76 with the engine and main gun removed.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#5: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:20 pm
    ----
It also looks like ther may ba another Su-76 sitting between the T34 nearest the camera and the second T34 (The one without the gun barrel) I think the second Su-76 is facing in the opposite direction (nose to the left)

So from the Camera it is

Su-76 facing right
T34/85 facing left gun trained to the rear
Su-76 facing left
T34/85 facing left (no gun)
T34/85 facing left gun trained to the rear
stack of pallets
Turretless M-4

#6: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:42 pm
    ----
I cropped some of the pic to enable larger picture viewing & possible further identification of the vehicles in the background. Here's the top right...

There's some blurring on the left... But If you sit back far enough away... Starting from the left, I "think" I see one of the M4 Sherman flail tank prototypes, I think I see the one of the outrigger boxes... Then some sort of full-track prime mover, a trailer, an M4 high-speed tractor? Cant quite makeout the two tanks in the far background. One on the right might be a Sherman. One on the left looks foreign... Then there's some arty stuff and more blurring...

Compare

Neil

#7: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:56 pm
    ----
Here's the top-left of the photo, mostly already discussed...

But I'm starting to think the "big wheels" to the right of the SdKfz 233/234 might be the T10 mine exploder Sherman?

Compare

Neil

#8: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: shermanfreak PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:41 pm
    ----
Regarding the Sherman behind the pallets.

It's a little blurry but is it possibly the T15E1 Mine Resistant Variant ? It appears to have the heavy tracks, drive sprocket and even the added plate over the rear bogie assembly.

#9: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:47 pm
    ----
I think you might be right, I noticed those tracks didnt look quite right...

Neil

#10: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: shermanfreak PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:50 pm
    ----

Also ... from the shadows .. that might be a Sherman dozer on the left of this cropped picture.

#11: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:35 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I think you might be right, I noticed those tracks didnt look quite right...

Neil

also the whiteish vertical rectangle at the rear of that vehicle - I wonder if that is the launching rails for one of the mine clearing rocket syatems I seem to remember them testing. It would make sense to combine that with a mine resistant vehicle. The again it could just be part of a packing crate leaned against the hull. Rolling Eyes

#12: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:47 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Cant quite makeout the two tanks in the far background. One on the right might be a Sherman. One on the left looks foreign... Then there's some arty stuff and more blurring...

T65 on the left and M4A2E4 on the right

Cool

#13: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:55 pm
    ----
Jim, just to clarify, which "T65"? The 155mm Howitzer Motor Carriage, 40mm Gun Motor Carriage, or Flamethrower Vehicle?

You have better eyes than I do...

Neil

#14: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:57 pm
    ----
The 40mm gun motor carriage... took me a while to figure that one out as the turret appears to be pointing over the side and no barrels fitted.

Cool

#15: Re: Old APG Picture, c1950s.... Identification? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:00 pm
    ----
Okay... Like I said, you have better eyes than I do... I thought it might be a Panther!

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board