FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:39 pm
    ----
Hi Guys, As usual please correct me on any mislabeled pictures, is it ok to be posting these like this? If anyone would like more detailed pictures drop me a note. Is it ok to be using this much space?? ARMY

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:56 pm
    ----
That M113 has some unusual lifting points welded to the front hull. I also noticed that the front supports for the rubber side skirts, don't have the foot step cut out of them that you see on todays M113's. The spare "shoe" mounts on the front hull appear rounded, not squared like todays. The bar brackets mounted by the antenna mounts is also looking a bit "old-school". Is this an "A1" model prehaps?
Was the M84 a Mortar Carrier? If not, it was an M-59. This is the first one of these type vehicles I've seen with the rubber skirts installed, kind of rare. I've always seen the holes in the hull but not the skirt installed.
The Sherman appears to be an M4A3 (76) HVSS. My gues is this is a Fisher built Sherman as oppoessed to a Chrysler build. The paint appears thin, was a serial number gotton from the rear tow hooks or were any numbers found on the front, side edges of the glacis? I could tell you more with these numbers and/or their locations.
The M114 is Roys specialty.
Am I mistaken or is that an M41 Walker Bulldog just below the M47 Patton? The M47, is it possibly a Italian tank?

#3: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:42 am
    ----
Ft Meade is near Baltimore so it's in Joe Demarco's back yard. I'm sure he has that he has gone over that M4 with a fine tooth comb Smile

#4: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:31 am
    ----
- bsmart
Ft Meade is near Baltimore so it's in Joe Demarco's back yard. I'm sure he has that he has gone over that M4 with a fine tooth comb Smile

Yeah, according to my records, Joe reported it originally had a 75mm gun turret, later converted to a 76.

Armyjunk2, how recent are the pics? Are you in mine & Bob's neck of the woods?

Neil

#5: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:31 am
    ----
BTW, the FT-17 is a WWI survivor.

Neil

#6: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:55 am
    ----
pictures were taken about a month ago, i'm in louisville, KY

#7: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
We need to have whoever is responsible for painting these vehicles hauled before the AFV DG tribunal and made to show cause.... Laughing

(At least the "area beautification" is up to snuff and they're not wallowing in weeds....)

Greetings from Bucharest, Guys...I've got some interesting pictures for when I get back Wink The tanks are good, the artillery collection here is not to be believed...I'd need another 3 Gig's of vid card to get all the guns!

#8: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:49 am
    ----
Doug, while in the area (Europe) here are two more great artillery collections with tanks

Lesany, Czech Republic
Hainameena, Finland

#9: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:23 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- armyjunk2

M113

- SFC_Jeff_Button

That M113 has some unusual lifting points welded to the front hull.

I have never seen that type of lift points during my service. I have noticed them on a few retired vehicles.
- SFC_Jeff_Button

I also noticed that the front supports for the rubber side skirts, don't have the foot step cut out of them that you see on todays M113's.

That's original equipment. The foot steps and thinner shrods were a late A1 MWO or possible an A2 change. Not sure when them come into use.
- SFC_Jeff_Button

The spare "shoe" mounts on the front hull appear rounded, not squared like todays.

Those are not mounted on the hull like the squared ones found on many M113s today. Those are spacers to help protect the bolts and are not used once spare track block is mounted. I have only seen them on new or new like vehicles that were being issued. The squared blocks where a added sometime later. They made it easier and safer for one man to mount or remove the spare track block.
- SFC_Jeff_Button

The bar brackets mounted by the antenna mounts is also looking a bit "old-school". Is this an "A1" model prehaps?

The anteena mount guards and the front light guards are orignial equipment which would mean the vehicle was build as a M113A0. The engine exhaust pipe should mean the vehicle was upgraded to M113A1 status. Need to see the engine to be sure one way or the other.
- SFC_Jeff_Button

The M114 is Roys specialty.

That's a M114A0. Missing the surf board and control arm. Track tension needs adjusted. Missing both service drive headlights. Other wise it doesn't look to bad for an old Lingle.
- SFC_Jeff_Button

Am I mistaken or is that an M41 Walker Bulldog just below the M47 Patton?

You are correct sir.
- SFC_Jeff_Button

The M47, is it possibly a Italian tank?

I think I remember a someone told us that M47s that have the rain guard strips on the turret sides are ex-Italian vehicles.

My guess is those bad paint jobs are the result of to much time in the sun sense the last painting. Hey Army Junk 2, do those two vehicle look gray or did the camera do that?

Thanks Army Junk 2 for a great photo of the world's greatest scout track, the M114 Lingle. Razz
- armyjunk2

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:36 pm
    ----
I think the color is pretty accurate, all pictures taken within 1/2 hour of each other so basically the same light

#11: Re: FORT GEORGE MEADE, MARYLAND PICTURES Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:28 pm
    ----
Hi Army Junk 2! Hi Folks!
- armyjunk2

I think the color is pretty accurate, all pictures taken within 1/2 hour of each other so basically the same light

Interesting! It is my understanding that OD fades to an off yellow color, like the M113 and the M4A3E8. I wonder what color those vehicles where originaly painted with that would fade to gray?

Confuzed! Confused
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board