3rd ID Abrams
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 3rd ID Abrams Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:12 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Ran acrossed this photo over at army.mil of a M1A1. Unit is listed as the 3rd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment, 1st Brigade, of the 3rd Infantry Division.

Anyone know what that thing is above and sticking out the right of the base of the main gun barrel?
Any idea what that box is to the left the gunner's sight?

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

#2: Re: 3rd ID Abrams Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:24 am
    ----
It looks like the FBCB2 antenna next to the doghouse. The device over the mantlet is the ammo can for the mantlet mounted .50 cal (like the IDF uses).

#3: Re: 3rd ID Abrams Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:08 pm
    ----
- Sabot
The device over the mantlet is the ammo can for the mantlet mounted .50 cal (like the IDF uses).

40mm grenade launcher is the only weapon I have seen mounted there.

Cool

#4: Re: 3rd ID Abrams Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:44 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Ran acrossed this photo over at army.mil of a M1A1. Unit is listed as the 3rd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment, 1st Brigade, of the 3rd Infantry Division.

Anyone know what that thing is above and sticking out the right of the base of the main gun barrel?
Any idea what that box is to the left the gunner's sight?

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

The mount on the mantlet is a M2 .50cal with full box of ammo. The M2 is fired in single shot mode for precision engagements.

A great counter sniper weapon....

Don

#5: Re: 3rd ID Abrams Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:13 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Mount and ammo can for a 50 cal? Smile

It's about time! First time I have seen that on a U.S. tank.

I have never seen a 40mm G.L. mounted on top of a U.S. tank. Confused

Very interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: 3rd ID Abrams Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:49 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,
It's not a single shot Telfare, it's actually a new device called CSMS. Not sure what it means, think "Close Support Machine Gun System. I might even have the acronym wrong. Saw my first one when the BDE from the 28th ID was training up for Iraq at Camp Shelby in 2005. Gives the gunner another system to use, plus it's stabilized and uses the tanks fire control system (The M1A1 FCS has always had the solutions programed in it). Something we wanted in Korea in the mid nineties with the A1 fielding. The concept was why waste a Heat round on something the .50 cal can take out but the 7.62 can't. Giving it to the gunner means it's stabilized and can use the thermal, plus it carries more rounds this way. Always thought the set up for the .50 on the M1 was very poor.
Roy, yep, neither have I. There's always been a few guys that wanted one but never seen it. Other than possibly mounting it on the loader's skate ring it be useless anywhere else without major mods. Even then the pintle mount to the M1 is unique.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board