bodge it!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#31: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:58 pm
    ----
yeah that modular Homey same make i have, but i dont think you need that much power try one a lil smaller thats for quad stuff from what i see and not cheap..:) nice and quiet they are too...

#32: Re: bodge it! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:37 am
    ----
- Shadow_Homfixr
If I understand you correctly the fan and heatsink is NOT needed with this MB?

Not for the mobo, but you need a fan and heatsink for the CPU though, and the thermaltake fan your looking at may not provide enough airflow for the mobo heatsink.

I hope I'm not confusing you, I can do pictures of mine if you want.

#33: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:28 am
    ----
Kit the case has 4 fans in it.... I hope that what you are talking about....lol!

#34: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:48 pm
    ----
HOMEYYYYYYYY i dont like the Silence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have u fixed it up yet or wot......

#35: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:11 pm
    ----
STILL waiting on the refund from Best Buy Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad !!! They said the check went in the mail yesterday....yea right.

#36: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:29 am
    ----
Finallllyyyy!!!! All parts are ordered and should be here late in the com'n week Laughing ! Expect me to be looking for some of ya'll for maybe a little advice here and there as this will be my first build! I made a few changes in my order:

MB=ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU= AMD64 X2 5000+ @2.6GHZ
RAM=2 GIGS of CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 PC2 6400 dual channel
HD=2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 250 gig
Video cards= 2X NVidia 7600 GS SLI 512mb each
Power=Tagan TG900-U95 900 watt SLI

#37: Re: bodge it! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:54 am
    ----
Hiya Homey.

SKWIRRELL TIP OF THE DAY:- "Remember to count to ten".
lol

The trickiest bit of the first-time build process is the cpu and fan/heatsink assembly stage. The heatsink and cpu connect via a small metal area. Through this connection the heat built up by the cpu is transferred to the heatsink and then dissipated via the fan.
However, this doesn't happen on it's own.
There needs to be some thermal compound between the two which encourages the process.
Thermal compound comes in two forms; it will either be a small vial of liquid you're required to apply yourself or a plasticene-like substance which will already be positioned on one of the surfaces.

If it's the plasticene 'stuff', DON'T TOUCH IT!!!
When you assemble the cpu and heatsink, it will be a tight fit and the 'stuff' will squash out to finely cover both contact surfaces.
You don't want any finger-grease or finger-prints to interfere with the contact.
Be careful that you don't need to re-position either component after as pulling them apart will break the thermal seal and, if you do, you're going to have to remove it and start again with some fresh 'stuff'. Removing the old 'stuff' is a real pain and it has to be completely removed without scratching the contacts.
The plasticene compound sometimes comes with a plastic safety-cover which should be removed before assembly. Sometimes (as with mine) it doesn't.

If it's the liquid and you have to apply it yourself, don't use too much or too little. Follow the advice on the product.
Too little and there won't be enough to transfer heat between the cpu and the heatsink.
Too much and it will act as an insulator and block the transfer instead of encouraging it.
Your instructions will probably say something to the effect that you should use a small blob and spread it thinly and evenly over the area to be covered using the thin, straight edge, of a plastic spreader something like a credit card edge.
When you're doing it be careful not to scratch the surface of the contacts, and don't re-position the two components once assembled. If you do it will break the seal and you should completely remove it and start again.

There is a special compound which will clean the contacts properly if you need it (can't think of the name of it at the moment), don't use nail varnish or similar. It ain't the same.

I may have made this sound more tricky than it actually is. Don't worry. It is easier. Just be aware and, if you follow the advice, your cpu temperatures will be as low as they can be which produces better performance.

If it powers up first time, GREAT! If it doesn't or, if there's some other problem, don't worry about it. Count to ten, double-check everything and then ask here.
If you connect your case speaker to the motherboard, you will hear a single short 'beep' as the machine 'posts'. This is a good thing.
If you hear anything else, it's a 'beep code' indicating that it's detected a potential problem. The type of beep is like a morse code relating to the type of problem, so make a note of the code (ie. two short beeps and one long one, etc) so we can help.

Good luck. And get ready to show off your new baby to all your friends.
Oh wait. Sorry.., "Shadow". I forgot, you don't have any.

Heheh

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

[THIS GUIDE may help some. There's some video's of each stage in there somewhere as well]

#38: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:37 am
    ----
LOL Shades, I think Homey appreciates the advice and is 'honing' his gunsight to perfection at the same time...lol

#39: Re: bodge it! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:39 pm
    ----
GULP!

Wink

#40: Re: bodge it! Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:56 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
LOL Shades, I think Homey appreciates the advice and is 'honing' his gunsight to perfection at the same time...lol

Ahhh Homey couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.. Mr. Green

#41: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:31 am
    ----
LOL Hitman your prolly right about that now a days! The final parts arrived today and I had a little head start from what I received yesterday and already had. I finish putt'n everything in the new case tonight and hoping I hooked everything up to it's proper place and not left anything out...lol! I am so tired from stressing out about mess'n something up I'm gonna wait until tomorrow night to plug it into the wall and and see what does or doesn't happen...lol. For now it's off to bed for another sleepless night from dreaming about building this nightmare...LOL.

#42: Re: bodge it! Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:53 am
    ----
fingers are crossed for ya bud... Shocked

#43: Re: bodge it! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:41 am
    ----
- Shadow_Homfixr
I'm gonna wait until tomorrow night to plug it into the wall and and see what does or doesn't happen.
LMAO!
I was so nervous about my first build I couldn't bring myself to powering it up for a week!
'Birds of a feather'.
Wink

#44: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:08 pm
    ----
The trick is to be prepared Homey! Get the hotdogs ready and 'plug 'r in!' If you see fire, roast up those hotdogs! If not, you're on the way to having a new 'puter....LOL

#45: Re: bodge it! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:16 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Homfixr
I'm gonna wait until tomorrow night to plug it into the wall and and see what does or doesn't happen...

*Note to self*...Check standby generator for diesel.

P.S. Can I have onions on my dog Homey.

Mr. Green

-> Hardware