bodge it!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#46: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:06 am
    ----
Ok the thing is built and everything powered up BUT it will not see the second card!! Banshee and Mike and another fellow I know went thru most all everything a couple times and still no SLI config. The puter just ain't seeing the second card in the 2nd PCI-E slot and neither is Device manager. The fan on the card is running so it has power. Uninstalled and reinstalled hardware and software numerous times, updated all software at least twice, updated the BIOS. Couldn't find anything in BIOS to change but plug and play was off....now on. Switched cards...both work fine. Tried one card at time in each slot and got no video at all out of the black slot which is the secondary PCI-E slot. Banshee says it gotta be software or a setting but I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I have a bad MB....maybe not so slow....lol. Dang Murphy will someone please shoot him for me....lol. Any thought would be greatly appreciated. I'll be on MSN most of the day tomorrow so please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47: Re: bodge it! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:42 am
    ----
With the latest Forceware drivers loaded and a bios upgrade, I'd be suspecting a faulty mobo since it doesn't show in device manager.

#48: Re: bodge it! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:10 am
    ----
Yeh, sounds like the board to me.
Getting a lot of faulty boards on my BYO community forum as well.
Is all very well saving money by having the things made by slave labour but their quality control's pants!
Strangely, the replacement board's usually fine.

#49: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:34 pm
    ----
i still think its a setting, like single or dual mode, older mainboards have a a little card that you switch round to enable dual mode, maybe theres a software or bios option for this on your card that you are missing or even a jumper on the mainboard,
chances are that the mainboards set in single mode.

#50: Re: bodge it! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:48 pm
    ----
Reading Ban's last post made me think of something else, doesn't SLi have a little 'bridge' you have to clip onto the top of the two cards?
I know it did when it first came out.
May have been a 'spare' part supplied with the mobo.

#51: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:11 pm
    ----
yeah hes got the bridge in place, but i think its still a unactivted dual mode prob i found this on a faq about sli not enabling on that board "Please update ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe BIOS to v0402 or later and nVidia Forceware VGA driver to v91.42 or later to solve this problem.
" i'm almost certain that the forceware on homeys disc is lower version than that!
FIX IT MR! 4am is killin me

#52: Re: bodge it! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:39 pm
    ----
lol
Good find.

#53: Re: bodge it! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:00 pm
    ----
I thought the forceware drivers 91.45 are only for the quad graphics set up.

Asus use a jumperless mobo, you can swap between SLI mode in software from the desktop, unlike other mobo's where you have to do it hardware and reboot.

If it was only a software issue then it should still show in device manager.

IMHO

Mr. Green

My device manager screen

#54: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:19 pm
    ----
Never mind everybody... I hosed the BIOS Evil or Very Mad updating to version 0402. Followed the directions giv'n by ASUS and put 0402 on disc then went into BIOS . There is a ASUS flash utility there. It found the .bin file and started it's thing by erasing the version there them Murphy showed his ugly a** and warning message came up could not read the current file and all died....well video did and I'm sure a few other things also Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad . Guess this is gonna cost me a new mobo and a lot of embarrassment no to mention the time invested. Gonna try to send this mobo back but they prolly will not refund or replace. Thanks for all the help guys!! I'll let ya'll know the outcome.

#55: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:33 pm
    ----
damn, theres lots of guys out there not showing second vid cards on these boards and asus are replying with its not faulty boards , so it has to be the bios. phone asus support Homey ....... hey kit you have 4 cards on your system? i thought you built a twin?

#56: Re: bodge it! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:19 pm
    ----
The 7950GX2 is a dual card that fits in one slot, so I fitted two of them. Smile

#57: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:05 pm
    ----
Ok reset BIOS and it came back up but now my mouse and keyboard not working?

#58: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:52 pm
    ----
Ok did a XP repair and mouse and keyboard works but it just kept on reboot'n at startup so now I'm completely doing a reformat Evil or Very Mad . Someone please kill Murphy...lol

#59: Re: bodge it! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:48 pm
    ----
Start up reboots can sometimes be due to inadequate power supply's.
What's yours?

(can also be due to other things, are you getting beep codes from your case speaker? If so, what are they?)

#60: Re: bodge it! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:53 pm
    ----
900 watts

-> Hardware