76mm M4A2 HVSS
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:11 pm
    ----
Here are some photos of 76mm M4A2 HVSS Shermans at the Canadian War Museum, which I took last summer. Canada used these tank post WWII.

#2: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:12 pm
    ----

#3: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:13 pm
    ----

#4: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: clausb PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:01 pm
    ----

I like the way they've tried to cover its "private parts" with artificial fig leaves Smile

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Claus B

#5: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:22 pm
    ----
Some people get the fun jobs.
"Hey Irving, the CO wants you to cut this Sherman transmission cover in half!"

#6: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:41 am
    ----
After watching a few episodes of tank rebuilders on the History Channel in Canada last month, I was struck by the structural simplicity of the Sherman. For all its panache (big word of the day) and mystique, its utilitarian robustness and numerical supremacy, the simple fact remains that the Sherman is an armoured box. The pictures of the cutaway illustrate that so well.

The final drive bolts to a somewhat angular construction of flat plates. The firewall is the internal rigidity, as is the glacis plate on the front. The turret ring is the critical machined component of the turret, and literally everything else bolts on to a box shape.

#7: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:52 pm
    ----
Question about siver interior color - this color used in british/canadian AFVs for conservation paint?

AEC Mk.II armoured car from Kubinka also have silver paint inside. And it's not interior color - lots of details like periscopes and wires painted in silver. And it's not soviet conservation - we are use basical green color for this.

#8: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:55 pm
    ----
- Taranov
Question about siver interior color - this color used in british/canadian AFVs for conservation paint?

AEC Mk.II armoured car from Kubinka also have silver paint inside. And it's not interior color - lots of details like periscopes and wires painted in silver. And it's not soviet conservation - we are use basical green color for this.

White in the crew areas and silver in the engine bay were intended to reflect light and maximise the available light. In the engine bay, it also showed oil leaks and such to help in maintenance. I don't think that silver was much used until post-war, however, but the Canadian Shermans were used until the mid-50s when the Centurion came along, and even later by the militia units.

#9: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:04 am
    ----
- Taranov

Actually its not silver - its aluminium....

Cool

#10: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:50 pm
    ----
here's a list of all the surviving M4A2 76mm Shermans (allv of them are HVSS)

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_M4A2_76_Shermans.pdf

P-O

#11: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 pm
    ----
P-O

Updates for you:
M4A2 (76) HVSS " Spartan" # 69059-CFB Edmonton , has been moved to Olds, Alberta Legion. Was swapped out for Israeli M50 built on M4A4 Chassis.

There are two more missing from the collection that I might have photos of. There is another M4A2 HVSS is a park in Wainwright Alberta & another range target tank saved from an air weapons range, waiting restoration/parts for the M50 rebuild to back date it back to a M4A4 with HVSS until they get VVHS mounted.

Shoot me a e-mail and will send you the new photos.

Anthony

#12: Re: 76mm M4A2 HVSS Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:19 pm
    ----
Anthony,

thanks for the updates.
I think that I don't have your email address. Mine show up at the bottom of this message.

thanks !!

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board