French and American FT-17
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:01 am
    ----
I've found one pic of the US M-1917 tank in Newport News - Virginia War Museum, it's ok for this one.

Neil, quoting your V2.2 list :

ANDERSON
Historical Military Armor Museum
FT-17 / M1917?

It's surely an US M-1917, I have a better picture of it.

INDIANAPOLIS
Ropkey Armor Museum
FT-17 / M1917? FRA/USA?

That's also an US M-1917 tank (thanks armyjunk for the pic Wink )

They are already on the PDF file, but if somebody is interested, I can post them.

That's a pic of the FT-17 at Jackson Barracks, New Orleans, Lousiana. Photo was taken by Glen Williford in 2002 but he told me it is free from use. I have a pic in better resolution if interested, this one is reduced.

P-O

#32: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 pm
    ----
Ropkey Armor Museum is in Crawfordsville, Indiana not Indianapolis, Indiana, The museum was in Indianapolis at one time, and his Tank is a M1917, just to clear that up......

#33: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:28 pm
    ----
- the_shadock

That's a pic of the FT-17 at Jackson Barracks, New Orleans, Lousiana. Photo was taken by Glen Williford in 2002 but he told me it is free from use. I have a pic in better resolution if interested, this one is reduced.

P-O

I'm wondering how this faired after the massive flooding of the Jackson Barracks during Hurricane Katrina.

I do know (first hand) They had an operational Stuart, that was ruined, and requires total rebuild. Anyone (down around the Bayou.. Cool ) know the status of those vehicles??

Geaux Tigers!! Mr. Green
Don

#34: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:48 pm
    ----
Don, I don't know about the vehicles, but most of the interior displays were ruined. A friend of mine had donated a collection of 1/35th scale armor, with many scratchbuilds, from the 20's thru the 50's. Most of this stuff disintegrated.

GOOOO TIGERS! Hope they are Rose Bowl Bound!

#35: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:10 am
    ----
- Tanklord
Don, I don't know about the vehicles, but most of the interior displays were ruined. A friend of mine had donated a collection of 1/35th scale armor, with many scratchbuilds, from the 20's thru the 50's. Most of this stuff disintegrated.

GOOOO TIGERS! Hope they are Rose Bowl Bound!

I guess I'll have to check some of my family sources 'down that way' to find out the status.

I remember seeing a shot of the Jackson Barracks Airplane park and most of the entire area was under 10-15 feet of water. Pity...

Don

#36: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:13 am
    ----
Pierre-Olivier,
Here's another one for your list, albeit partial. Its apparently in the collection of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

[img]http://collections.civilization.ca/public/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=1105276[/img]

collections.civilizati...amp;lang=0

Neil

#37: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:27 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
The Museum at Nitro WV is gone, I was by there a month ago...building is falling in...Tank is gone
Oh no! I haven't been by there in months. Any idea what happened to the collection?

Are you around Nitro, by the way?

#38: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:28 am
    ----
I was at Nitro a couple months ago and the building looks like abandoned property. The guy next door said someone came with a crane and took the tank. A 7.5cm Minenwerfer is still there. I think the owner died....

#39: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:54 am
    ----
Thanks for the update. Sad news. Sad

#40: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:39 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Pierre-Olivier,
Here's another one for your list, albeit partial. Its apparently in the collection of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

[img]http://collections.civilization.ca/public/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=1105276[/img]

collections.civilizati...…’©=0

Neil

I think it may be a 6-ton M-1917 tank, because of the front wheels, they seems to be of the US type (You will notice that the big front wheels are different on the US M-1917 tank and on the FT-17). Also notice that the tracks are unusual.. that's the only ones I've seen for the moment with 2 holes in each link..

I just can't update the PDF files for the moment, the server is down..

Pierre-Olivier

#41: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:39 pm
    ----
Pierre-Olivier, I am told that it is an M1917... And that the turret is still on the farm it was recovered from Wink

It is almost certainly one of the M1917s the US gave to Canada in 1939, along with a bunch of Mk VIIIs. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Canadian Mk VIIIs?

Neil

#42: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:13 pm
    ----
Pierre-Olivier,
Another Canadian M1917 to add to your list - there is one at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Borden. It is of the ones bought as "scrap metal" by "Mister Worthington" in 1939.

It is mentioned here by Bruce Clark:
www.pbase.com/mrclark/...orden_2004

No pictures that I can find though...

Neil

#43: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:50 am
    ----
Neil, in your AFV list you have that the M1917 that was formerly in Nitro, WV, is being stored in Huntington. That's where I live; would you happen to have any record who told you that, or any contact info for who has custody of the tank? Just curious...

Thanks. Smile

#44: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:32 am
    ----
Chris,
Sure, here's where I got the info. No idea where in Huntington it is stored:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One a related note, while looking for a website for Nitro "War Memorial Museum" or "World War I Museum" (unsuccesfully), I did find the following note on the Nitro M1917, from last week nonetheless:

"In other business, Casto said he wanted City Attorney Troy Giatras to recover a World War I era Renault tank that is stored in Huntington. The tank, which had been stored at the city’s World War I museum, had been removed for cleaning.

"Casto said he was worried that the cleaning process might involve sandblasting, which would permanently damage the relic. “If its ruined, I might go down there with a World War I machine gun,� Casto joked."

wvgazette.com/section/...2006112118

Neil

#45: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:58 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Canadian Mk VIIIs?Neil

Apart from two (fate unknown) the rest were sent to the UK as scrap apparently.

There is a rumour of an image showing a ship being loaded in Halifax(?) harbour and you can see sections of Mk VIII among the scrap. Never managed to find it myself - I suspect someones hoarding it for a book.

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board