One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:16 pm
    ----
Hello all, I was reviewing the AFV Register for all the "one of a kinds" (or even "one of a few") and "only survivors" in the US. So I thought I'd throw this out for discussion & insights, before I check my sources...

M2 Medium (Patton & APG): How many M2 mediums were built? Just these two?
M2 Light (Patton, APG, Hattiesburg MS, & Quantic): Just these four survivors?
M4 CWS-POA-H5 Sherman Flamethower (29 Palms, Jacksonville NC & Leonard Wood): Just three survivors?
M7 Medium (APG): How many were built - just this one?
M1918 Ford (Patton & APG): How many were built?
M1920 GMC (APG): Only one built?
M1922 Medium A (APG): Only one built?
M1922E Mk X GMC (APG): Only one built?
T54E1 Medium Tank (APG): Only one built?
T2 Medium Tank (APG): Only one built?
T4 Medium Tank (APG): Only one built?
T23 Medium Tank (APG & TACOM): Just three survivors right?
T26E4 Super Pershing (Wheaton): Only surviving long-barrel Pershing right?
T49 Walker Bulldog (AP Hill): Only one built?
T88 (APG): Built on M18 Hellcat chassis, only pilot built?
T93 SPG (APG): How many were built?
T162 GMC (Sill): Only one built?
GM XM1 (Littlefield's): How many were built, is this the only one?
XM723 (Benning): Only one built?
XM800T & W: How many were built of each?
XM808 (TACOM): Only one built?
Close Combat Vehicle - Light (Littlefield's): Only one built?
MTTB FMC Test Bed (Littlefield's): Only one built

Neil

#2: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:47 pm
    ----
Neil - You've been on enough of my tours to realize you missed my favorite The M6 Heavy! I'm pretty sure the one at Aberdeen is the only one left

And M2 light at Aberdeen? It's not ringing any bells with me or is that the Mae West?
I also don't see the Cunningham on the list.
Is the Christie the T4 Medium

And if we are doing 'one of a kind' Sherman varients - What about the Calliope M4A1 is Aberdeen's the only Calliope left? How many DD Shermans are around

And then there are the T-95s There is one in Weirton, where else

What about the Vigilante (I don't know the T or XM number offhand) the 37mm Gatling SP at Aberdeen

There is also the Mk VIII International that is at Aberdeen (I'm told, I haven't seen it in years :-))

#3: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:57 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Neil - You've been on enough of my tours to realize you missed my favorite The M6 Heavy! I'm pretty sure the one at Aberdeen is the only one left

Yep, already know that one...

And M2 light at Aberdeen? It's not ringing any bells with me or is that the Mae West?

Yeah, the rusty hull behind the refurb facility. I should probably say 3.5 survivors...

I also don't see the Cunningham on the list.

T1E2 light, already got it - only surviving T1 light.

Is the Christie the T4 Medium

Nope, Christie is a T3. The T4 was the bigger tank (behind the fence now) that Rock Island built with a Christie suspension.

And if we are doing 'one of a kind' Sherman varients - What about the Calliope M4A1 is Aberdeen's the only Calliope left? How many DD Shermans are around

Calliope, hmm...

Oh yeah... DDs... That one's fun...

Sounds like questions for G104...

And then there are the T-95s There is one in Weirton, where else

Several actually - Anniston, Knox, McCoy, Wierton - but probably still worth a mention...

What about the Vigilante (I don't know the T or XM number offhand) the 37mm Gatling SP at Aberdeen

Oh yeah - the T249. Good catch, that one somehow didnt make it on the register!

There is also the Mk VIII International that is at Aberdeen (I'm told, I haven't seen it in years :-))

Yep, one of three in the world - along with Meade & Bovington. I have wondered what happened to all the ones that were sent to Canada...

Neil

#4: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:03 pm
    ----
M1918 6t, number accepted up to Jan 31 1919....291 according to Crowell's America's Munitions
Hope that helps

#5: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:19 pm
    ----
Besides the Obvious, T28 Super Heavy, here are a few possible candidates:

Don

#6: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:20 pm
    ----
Had to throw this in..... Mr. Green

Don

#7: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:42 am
    ----
- Dontos

(Pictures removed to shorten message)

Don

I thought Neil was only looking for American 'one of a kinds' right now. If we start including captured stuff Aberdeens list gets a lot longer and we'll start with Leopold and move down from there Mr. Green And that doesn't include things that came from our allies.

But I thought of some more for you Neil

T-92 Light
RDF tank (don't know what it's designator is)
XM-8

What about the M-22 Locust? How many of them are left?

What was that SPG at the Hampton VA hospital? Was it an XM-108 or something else? Which brings up the M-108 How many of them are left? I think I remember the chassis being converted to something else. How many were saved? Aberdeen has one in storage.

What about the M-12 SPG at Aberdeen? were any others saved? Or it's replacement the M-40?

I'm sure I'll come up with more later

#8: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:06 am
    ----
- bsmart
- Dontos

Don

I thought Neil was only looking for American 'one of a kinds' right now. If we start including captured stuff Aberdeens list gets a lot longer and we'll start with Leopold and move down from there Mr. Green And that doesn't include things that came from our allies.

But I thought of some more for you Neil

T-92 Light
XM-8

What was that SPG at the Hampton VA hospital? Was it an XM-108 or something else? Which brings up the M-108 How many of them are left? I think I remember the chassis being converted to something else. How many were saved? Aberdeen has one in storage.

What about the M-12 SPG at Aberdeen? were any others saved? Or it's replacement the M-40?

I'm sure I'll come up with more later

Okay Bob....you got me. Most were US...sorta Rolling Eyes

The GM XM1 in Portola Valley is the sole survivor that I know of. Not really sure how many of each were produced. I would guess around 3-5 GM's (might be wrong,....anyone??)

How about that 'Twister' thing?....

Along with the XM808T & W, XM803, M-1 TTB, and not to be out done, we do have that 'MICV' thing also....( A little worse for wear, but still present)

Now I gotta locate some photos...
Don

#9: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:21 am
    ----
- Dontos

Sd.Kfz. 234-4, only one in the world?

According to Hunnicutt, four of each type (W & T) were built. The following are known, two of the Ts appear to be missing.

XM800T (Danbury, Knox)
XM800W (Anniston, APG, Eglin AFB, Knox)

Really all that rare?

Yep...

Only Sd.Kfz. 223?

Challenger VC47 - I'll have to look up the details on that one again.

Only one built, got it...

Neil

#10: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 am
    ----
- Dontos

You decided what to do with those yet Don? Wink

Neil

#11: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:32 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- Dontos

You decided what to do with those yet Don? Wink

Neil

Yeah, I have a plan, but it got put on a back burner for awhile. They are safely stored and await my future plans. (Stay tuned)

BTW: We Do have the M1919.... Perhaps another candidate?

Don

#12: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:32 am
    ----
- bsmart
- Dontos

Don

I thought Neil was only looking for American 'one of a kinds' right now.

Nope, any in the US.

If we start including captured stuff Aberdeens list gets a lot longer and we'll start with Leopold and move down from there Mr. Green And that doesn't include things that came from our allies.

Yep...

T-92 Light

According to the Museum Guide CD, its SN 3 of two built Wink

I'll need to check how many were built...

XM-8

I'll need to check that one too, but I think there's a bunch of them actually (just not on display).

Good one...

Another good one...

Seven surviving M40s by my count... I think my totally arbitrary bar is 5...

M12 is definately a good one though... That cant be the only survivor right? Any overseas?

Neil

#13: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:37 am
    ----
- Dontos

Don

You mean M1918? The Ford 3-tonner? One of two survivors (out of 15 built according to Hunnicutt).

Neil

#14: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:49 am
    ----
- bsmart

By my count there's about 10 out there. It helps that some were demilled and sold as agricultural tractors (in the US) postwar. At least one in a reenactor unit was "restored" (fake repro turret) that from a former tractor.

Anyway, by my again arbitrary standard, thats a bit too many to be quite rare...

Similarly, eight XM247 Sergeant Yorks is a bit too many for a note on each one...

Neil

#15: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:12 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- Dontos

Don

You mean M1918? The Ford 3-tonner? One of two survivors (out of 15 built according to Hunnicutt).

Neil

This...

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board