One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:08 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

and oh look its an image of T195E1 RD 4 at the bottom of this message!!!! What they don't all look exactly the same?? well strap me you'd think they would make all the development vehicles look exactly alike to avoid confusion...

Okay Jim. I was just looking for some evidence that a T195E1 had the latter sort of hull form - only evidence I had showed the earlier hull-form. Notably, the description of another picture of what appears to be the same "RD 4" on the bottom of page 208 in Hunnicutt's Sheridan calls it an "early version" of the M108.

Thats all... We're just discussing here, no reason to take it too seriously! Wink

Neil

#32: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:13 pm
    ----
[quote="Neil_Baumgardner"]
- JimWeb

Thats all... We're just discussing here, no reason to take it too seriously! Wink

Neil

Laughing

Now if I could only find an image of RD2.....

Cool

#33: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:17 pm
    ----
Now that that is resolved, I dont suppose you happen to know what the Registration Number (RN) is? And what is "RD"? I assume thats the same as the SN?

Neil

#34: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:32 pm
    ----
No as far as I know the RD number related to the sequence in which that vehicle was produced... ie RD No 1 was the first Rd No 2 the second etc. The 195E1 prototypes all differed slightly in some respect as they tweaked the design.

I'll see if I can find any clue as to what the Hamptons SN should be.

Cool

#35: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:41 pm
    ----
Generally the SN should be in the same sequence. RNs are more complicated. And then there's the T95 chassis numbers...

Neil

#36: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 pm
    ----
Hey Guys,
What about the A7V. Isn't there at least one survivor in Australia?

Joe D

#37: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:53 am
    ----
Being parochial, I was interested just in "survivors" in the US.

Neil

#38: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:31 am
    ----
There is a real A7V in Queensland, Australia, the only one left and a replica in Munster, Germany, i might have pictures

#39: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

.... M2 Light (Patton, APG, Hattiesburg MS, & Quantic): Just these four survivors?....

Neil

I happened to have spent some time down at Camp Shelby a couple of years ago. I had several photos of the M2A2, as well as I had the luck of hearing the 'story' of the M2A2 there.

From This link: Armed Forces Museum, Camp Shelby Ms

One of the Curators had quite a bit of resource info on the recovery of the M2A2 from land that had been the Mississippi Ordinance Plant in Flora Mississippi. It was found abandoned in the Woods.

The Vehicle is document # 30211 SN 112 from 1937. It has been cosmetically restored but is bumpered # with the same as discovered in the woods. F11 from 80th Armor, 8th Armored Division.

There is a crated spare engine (in its original crate after being overhauled in 1945) that will eventually be placed in the M2A2, which had no engine when it was discovered in 1979.

A real nice little museum.

Don

#40: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:41 pm
    ----
Don, thanks for the info. I didnt have an SN for that one! Its the oldest surviving M2 light AFAIK.

Dont happen to know the RN do you?

Neil

#41: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:04 am
    ----
It's good to be back

Vickers Medium Mk Ia - only surviving example located at School of Armour , Bloemfontein , South Africa.

This tank has undergone some restoration work Smile

#42: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:50 pm
    ----
Okay, but how many Vickers Mediums in existance? Counting both Mk Is and IIs?

Neil

#43: Re: One of a kinds/only survivors, etc... - Help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:41 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- Neil_Baumgardner
- Dontos

BTW: We Do have the M1919.... Perhaps another candidate?

Don

You mean M1918? The Ford 3-tonner? One of two survivors (out of 15 built according to Hunnicutt).
Neil

This...

Don

Neil

Went snooping and found this reference.....

M1918 Light Tank
The Ford Motor Company agreed to develop a two-man light tank for the US Army. The US program was augmented in the summer of 1918 by the development of this 3-ton, 2-man tank, originated by the Ford Motor Company. This third tank to be mass-produced during 1918 was powered by two Ford Model T, 4-cylinder engines, and had a maximum speed of 8 miles per hour. Armed with a .30-caliber machine gun, it had a crew of two (driver and gunner).

The French, British, and (with French equipment) Americans organized light tank units in 1918. The British "Whippet" tank was faster (7.5 miles per hour versus four miles per hour) than most heavy tanks. Light tanks were much easier to redeploy in secret from one sector to another, because they could be loaded onto trucks instead of moved by rail. Thus, technological innovations of the times increased the mobility and effectiveness of tanks. Not only did tanks increase in mobility, but trucks improved greatly in operational mobility by 1916.

The M1918 was one of the first light tank designs by the US. Initial production was fifteen vehicles and one was sent to France for testing. Small and cramped, the US Tank Corps felt it did not meet their requirements, and continued using the French Renault FT-17. Although 15,000 were ordered, only fifteen were built due to the ending of the war.

Link:M1918 Reference

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board