M60 Pictures from JoeD
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:25 am
    ----
Hello everyone,
I've attached some pictures to share with everyone. I took these on the way to Redstone when I was home in November.

The first picture is of one of the nicest looking M60's I've seen on display. It's M60 SN 770 at the ARNG Armory in Iuka Mississippi. It was just recently repainted by the CSMS shop this year. They used an M60A1/A3 mantle cover though, that's why it looks a little odd.

The next picture is of M60A3 SN 3837A located in Tuscumbia Alabama. This old girl has seen better days.

The third picture is of M60 SN 1992 at the local VFW Post in Decatur Alabama. I really wish that they would take these tanks out of travel lock when displayed. Not sure if it's done that way for safety or if they are delivered that way welded up and can't be moved. Either way it just don't look right.

The last two pictures are of M728 SN 90 in Corinth Mississippi. Some one had posted a picture of this vehicle a while back discussing the horrible protrusion attached to the 165mm gun. I have no idea why it was done since no one was around to ask when I took my pictures. It's a shame too since upon close inspection this is a very well preserved M728 and was only recently retired. It has all the latest upgradeds to include the Passive sights, VEDSS air filter system and M240 conversion. I included a close up of the armored air cleaner housing. They are the first I've ever seen of this type. There are no exhaust elbows for the old centrifugal blower motors on the front housing. VDESS converted tanks retained the elbows and all the current AVLB's I've seen still have them too. So I have some rsearch to do on this.

For JoeD by Bob Smart

#2: Re: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:28 am
    ----
Folks I got the previous pictures from JoeD to post here.

Talk about dedication!! Joe is home from the big sandpit for a couple weeks and he's out taking pictures of old tanks!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Joe - I don't think that was what Uncle Sam sent you back home for!! Rolling Eyes

But thanks for sharing and stay safe

Neil - Are these on your list?

#3: Re: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:58 am
    ----
I kinda' like the occasional vehicle displayed in travel lock...shows the public what that gear is for...they see plenty of tanks with the gun straight ahead, they know which end is which.

What I would like to see is more displays with the turret traversed at some angles up to 90 degrees, though about 30-45 is more reasonable. Tanks look more "active" with the gun at some angle other that straight ahead or rearward.

#4: Re: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:07 am
    ----
Yep, Joe just sent me a bunch of info I am incorporating. Now that I'm done with school for the semester, I hope to roll out V2.3 in the next few days.

Neil

#5: Re: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:48 pm
    ----
Hey Bob,
It only slowed me down about 2 hours heading to Huntsville. Well worth it. Besides, Uncle Sam let me go home to relax and have a good time. Spending a couple of hours taking pictures of tanks falls in that catagory. Household 6 didn't mind. I already have routes planed for when I get back to cover most of the South East. If all works out like I plan I should have some very intersting opportunities for picture taking when I retire.

Neil,
Your AFV list is great, I just wish some one would step up and do an overseas or at least their home county version. I myself would love to see a Canadian list. I am curious how long it will take before someone prints your list up and tries to sell it. I not sure how you'd feel about it but I think if a museum printed and sold it only for the production cost a lot of patrons would buy it. Imagine an Armor Fan that isn't aware of this DG visiting a museum and finding the list. There are a lot of vehicles out there not in Museums that other than the locals most folks aren't aware of. Just a thought. Thanks to the list I know of many, many more M60's that I plan to photo and document.

Joe D

#6: Re: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:34 pm
    ----
Joe, thanks for the comments. The list really started from Leslie Delsing's Wrecks and Relics in the USA thread - which was focused on CFE qualifying MBTs. I expanded the list to include other AFVs. However, Leslie has also sent me the Canadian & European listings. I was actually fooling around with the European listing this weekend - though I probably should have been working on other things: cleaning my apartment, the armor website, Canadian AFV list, etc...

Optimistically, I'd like to get those three things started if not done before school starts again in a few weeks Wink

Nei

#7: Re: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:15 pm
    ----
Message deleted

Last edited by JimWeb on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

#8: Re: M60 Pictures from JoeD Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:08 pm
    ----
Message Deleted

-> AFV News Discussion Board