M728 CEV at Ft Hood...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:46 am
    ----
This CEV was across the street from the M1 that sits in front of the 4th ID HQ, (corner of Battalion Ave and 25th ST). The hull number is extremely low at, 108. I researched a CEV at Ft Irwin that had a hull number of 893 and I found out it was an early build M-60A1 that had been rebuilt by Chrysler Corp, Defense Operations Division, after 1962. Here are few more bits of information I found out about M278's;
- 291 were built
- the 165mm demolition gun had an effective range of 925 meters. The cannon is a modified version of the British L9A1, and was mainly used for use against bunkers and obstacles.
- the A-Frame crane was operated from inside the turret and is capable of lifting 9 tons
- weight 57.5 tons

#2: Re: M278 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:12 am
    ----
...We have an operational one with 3rd ACR bumper #'s. It is 'our' heavy recovery vehicle if the need arises. We've used it in displays on accasion.

Jeff....BTW, its an M728 CEV..... Cool

Don

#3: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 pm
    ----
The old CEV was part of my original MOS (12F) when I enlisted in the National Guard as a PV2. Hard to believe it was 24 years ago this summer.

#4: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:01 pm
    ----
Hey Jeff or Donto!

If either of you have some time, I would be very interested in some photos of the hydraulics lines for the blade. Where they connect to the hydraulics cyclinders on the blade, how they are routed from the blade over to the hull, and where or how they entier the hull.

No rush, THANK YOU very much!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:27 pm
    ----
I'd love to see pics of the breech of one of those guns if anyone's got any.

#6: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:33 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hey Jeff or Donto!

If either of you have some time, I would be very interested in some photos of the hydraulics lines for the blade. Where they connect to the hydraulics cyclinders on the blade, how they are routed from the blade over to the hull, and where or how they entier the hull.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

I'll see what I can do.

Been 'under the weather' for the past few days. Hope to 'feel human again' tomorrow. Will try to get some shots for you.

Don

#7: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:36 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hey Jeff or Donto!

Sgt, Scouts Out!
Unlike the dozer blade on the M60A1/A3, the CEV had an internal hydraulic system that sat inside the hull next to the driver where the hull ammo on the gun tank was.

#8: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:25 am
    ----
Hi Sabot! Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

Hey Dontos, take care and get well.

- Sabot

Unlike the dozer blade on the M60A1/A3, the CEV had an internal hydraulic system that sat inside the hull next to the driver where the hull ammo on the gun tank was.

Roger that!
I have been slowly collecting photos of the M728 CEV with the idea that if no one puts out a kit, that I would try to scratch build one.

I would also like to make a M60A1 dozer tank. I have the Academy M60A1 with the M9 dozer blade and have found enough photos that I should be able to add the missing hydraulic lines from the storage tank and point where the lines entier and exit the rear of the hull.

The one thing I don't have any info on yet is were the lines connect to the blade. I am hoping that at the blade end and acrossed to the hull, the line location/route is the same.

Again thanks for the helps guys!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:45 am
    ----
Left me see if I can dig out my old Dash -10. I can probably lend it to you if you promise to return it.

#10: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:36 pm
    ----
Hi Sabot!

- Sabot

Left me see if I can dig out my old Dash -10. I can probably lend it to you if you promise to return it.

I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have sent you a PM with POC details.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 pm
    ----
Hey Roy,
Check your PM

Joe D

#12: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:58 am
    ----
Roy,
Just let me know if there are any angles or shots of the CEV's that you need for your build. Since there are a couple of them around here, I'm sure I can get you the shots you might want. Just let me know.

#13: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:07 am
    ----

This is the only thing I have on hand.

I'll try to buzz by there tomorrow....

Don

#14: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:52 am
    ----
Hi Sabot, Dontos, and Jeff! Hi Folks!

Hold on guys, Joe D. has some informantion that he is willing to trade.

Let me see what he has and if I need more, I will ask again.

Super thanks to all of you.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#15: Re: M728 CEV at Ft Hood... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:20 pm
    ----
Roy,
Here are some pictures of the armored covers for the oil lines leading to the blade servos. They are run through the hull.

Just a hint of what I'm sending you.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board