T74 and T80 tracks
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T74 and T80 tracks Author: javallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BR PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:15 am
    ----
Hi gentlemen,

I have a doubt how the rubber was fixed on this tracks (T74 and T80) used by the end of WWII and post war.
Were they made entirely of steel ?
Does anybody have a clear picture of them, the outside and inside ?

Thanks in advance.

J Valls

#2: Re: T74 and T80 tracks Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:47 pm
    ----
I took these pictures today after seeing your post. I was told that these are T66 tracks. This M4A3(76)HVSS, serial number 61594, sits at the corner of 72nd St. and Battalion Ave, in front of 1st CAV HQ's, Ft Hood, Tx. I have the history on this particulat tank if you are interested but here are the close ups of its track. Hope it helps, I believe I have some pics of T80 track as well, I just have to find them.

#3: Re: T74 and T80 tracks Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:12 pm
    ----
Out on George Bradfords site (Afvnews.ca, the original home of this discussion group back before the SPAMmers became a problem Evil or Very Mad ) There is a link to Hanno's Sherman Register. Out there in the 'subjects' area there is an article on Track types that may be useful

web.inter.nl.net/users.../track.htm

#4: Re: T74 and T80 tracks Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:45 am
    ----
Cool!,
I have saved that link and added it to my own Sherman research book that I use for my own research. Joe DeMarco has helped me immensely with my Sherman research of the 8 on display here at Ft Hood.
According to the site you list, this is T66 track, below are some stats on it;
- Cast steel links, width: 23"; pitch: 6"; pin diameter: unknown

- Different design of track, made up from skeleton type cast manganese steel links, each connected with a single dry pin . First track type for HVSS.

#5: Re: T74 and T80 tracks Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:10 am
    ----
Hanno's whole site is worth bookmarking if you are interested in Shermans.

Also its worth going back to George's site occasionally. There are a bunch of good articlaes there that I forget about between visits

#6: Re: T74 and T80 tracks Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:20 am
    ----
Then this old M4A3(105)HVSS, serial number 73274, reg number 30137106, has the T80 style track. The side are not put on the same but I'm told it realy didn't matter. I would think it would matter, as far as "self cleaning" mud from the track, channeling the slime out rather than in toward the center of the track. I also have more info on this Sherman as well, thanks to Joe DeMarco. Here is some info on T80 track;

- Steel tread and rubber top links, width: 23"; pitch: 6"; pin diameter: 1-1/4"

- Chevron steel tread, rubber top. In use near the end of WW-2.

#7: Re: T74 and T80 tracks Author: javallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BR PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:29 am
    ----
Thanks a lot guys.
This is what I was looking for.

Regards,

J Valls

-> AFV News Discussion Board