German armour in action again...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: German armour in action again... Author: George_BradfordLocation: Cambridge, Ontario PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm
    ----
I was just thinking...

Are Canadians the first troops to employ German armour in action again since the end of WW2.

George Bradford
AFV NEWS

#2: Re: German armour in action again... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:29 pm
    ----
Actually there are even PzH 2000s in Afghanistan - crewed by Germans.

Neil

#3: Re: German armour in action again... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:49 pm
    ----
George

It would if Kosovo deployment didn't count(??)

I remembered this 'You Tube' video....

Kosovo Check Point Clash

This is the longer version of a video where an attack on a german checkpoint in Prizren, Kosovo, was accidentally filmed by a german camera team.

Regards,
Don

#4: Re: German armour in action again... Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:49 pm
    ----
The Danes fought in Bosnia with Leopard 1s.

#5: Re: German armour in action again... Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:50 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I thought those were Dutch, or are they just supporting the Dutch? Anyway, Germany has some Marders in Afghanistan as well.

#6: Re: German armour in action again... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:20 pm
    ----
Don't forget the Syrians with PzKpw IV's and StuG III's in 1967.

#7: Re: German armour in action again... Author: clausb PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:10 am
    ----
- Hellfish6
The Danes fought in Bosnia with Leopard 1s.

There were two incidents:

1. At Tuzla on April 29. 1994
2. At Gradacac on October 23. 1994

Claus B

#8: Re: German armour in action again... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:22 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

Hello Neil,
These PzH2000s are crewed by Dutch crews, one crew per PzH2000 and a fire direction centre. All from the 11th (NLD) Artillery battalion.

The first Leopard 2A4s were deployed during IFOR-1 in former Yugoslavia. These were from the 11th (NLD) Tank battalion.

The Danes were the first in former Yugoslavia with their Leopard 1A3s

Regards,
Lesley

#9: Re: German armour in action again... Author: clausb PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:21 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing

The were 1A5-DKs as they had been upgraded prior to going to Bosnia.

Claus B

#10: Re: German armour in action again... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:34 pm
    ----
- clausb
- L.Delsing

The were 1A5-DKs as they had been upgraded prior to going to Bosnia.

Claus B

Ooops, mistake from me.......

#11: Re: German armour in action again... Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
Didn't the UK use German wheeled armoured vehicles (Fuchs?) as NBC recce vehicles in the first Gulf War?

#12: Re: German armour in action again... Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:37 pm
    ----
Yes, the US did too - and still does. We just call it the Fox.

#13: Re: German armour in action again... Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:32 am
    ----
I can remember reading somewhere that the french took a panther to indochina in the 1950's for trials, don't know if it saw action though.

#14: Re: German armour in action again... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:09 pm
    ----
Danish Leopards in Bosnia

I found this forum with a Google search.

forum.soldf.com/lofive...12954.html

Some thougthful Dane posted a picture of the kill markings on a Danish Leopard, down almost to the end. The picture looks like the side of any turret, until you look in the top left corner: 1 wheel AA Gun and three figures.

(For some reason, I can attach a picture when I make a new post, but not make an attachment in a reply.)

#15: Re: German armour in action again... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:36 pm
    ----
- rynoki
I can remember reading somewhere that the french took a panther to indochina in the 1950's for trials, don't know if it saw action though.

Thats probably the one reported to be lying at the side of trail near Than Kien along the Song Cho Chu river, east of Route 3, north of Hanoi. Nobody has ever produced any physical evidence that its actually there and even if it was I would be surprised if it hadn't been turned into tools by the locals by now....

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board