Ground Guide Manual?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ground Guide Manual? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:55 pm
    ----
Anybody know of an on-line manual showing proper ground guide procedured for tracked vehicles? I need to train some people. Everyone does it differently here Neutral

#2: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:06 am
    ----
There was a little GTA that had ground guiding procedures. I should still have one or two. If no one has one readily available, I can dig it out.

#3: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:27 am
    ----
Thanks, Rob. Would love to see it. You'd get a laugh at the way it's done here Smile

#4: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 am
    ----
- Sabot
There was a little GTA that had ground guiding procedures. I should still have one or two. If no one has one readily available, I can dig it out.

I don't recall ever seeing one, myself! We just had the "monkey see, monkey do" method in AIT. Would you mind scanning and posting that, Rob?

#5: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:30 pm
    ----
It was a little tan multi-fold GTA, about the size of a playing card when folded. The card had little drawings of a torso of a soldier showing how to ground guide to include how to ground guide at night.

I'll dig through my old f*g bags to see if I have one stuffed away.

#6: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:55 pm
    ----
I hope these images can be useful.
They come from FM 17-19 July 1982.

Regards
Giacomo

Please visit
www.ferreamole.it

#7: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:12 pm
    ----
- giacomo415
I hope these images can be useful.
They come from FM 17-19 July 1982.

Regards
Giacomo

Please visit
www.ferreamole.it

Grazie molto, Giacomo...

...and welcome to the AFV DG! Good to see someone from the excellent Ferreamole website over here, your members are always welcome here (Give my regards to Pierantonio, he has been of some help in the past and administers a great site).

Since you are here, maybe you can answer a question that came up recently....to the best of your knowledge, did M-47's in Italian service ever convert to diesel or did they remain gasoline powered? My impression from the ones at Ferreamole and the service manuals there was that they were always benzine. Can you confirm?

Best regards,
Doug

#8: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:32 pm
    ----
Hi Doug,
Many thanks for your welcome and also for your favourable opinion over Ferreamole and, yes, Pierantonio is a great “prime mover� with his, and our, website.

I can confirm that the M47 in Italian service ever runs over gasoline engines.
My tank company managed, for training purpose, some of the last M47’s and they were like the first day.
I take this pic in 2002 when I visited my former barrack at Capo Teulada (I belonged there in 1986-87).
Is shown a preserved M47 and this view of the rear deck is clear enough.

The diesel conversion, along with an upgunning program, was proposed by an Italian firm but never adopted from the army.

Regards
Giacomo

#9: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:53 pm
    ----
Thanks, Giacomo...that's what I thought.

That you navigating for Gigi Galli there in your avatar? Mr. Green

Best regards,
Doug

#10: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:18 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Thanks, Giacomo...that's what I thought.

That you navigating for Gigi Galli there in your avatar? Mr. Green

Best regards,
Doug

I would like very much to navigate Gigi, great driver! Smile

Now I'm enjoying some rally revival (I wonder if at last the beer consuption is more elevated than that of gasoline). Mr. Green

Here I'm navigating our 1981 Opel Ascona SR (in 1981 the Ascona was the European Rally Championship Winner).

Ciao
Giacomo

#11: Re: Ground Guide Manual? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 pm
    ----
Thanks for the assist. I could not find my old GTA, so I asked other old soldiers in the building and they all remember the GTA I spoke of. I walked across the street to TASC and picked up the new version of the GTA 17-02-019 Visual Signals for Armor Fighting Vehicles, dated November 2006. It replaces the old one and instead of the drawings above, it uses photos of the torso of a soldier in Kevlar, BDUs and LBE.

-> AFV News Discussion Board