Eye in the sky
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Eye in the sky Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:49 pm
    ----
I recently downloaded Google Earth, and I'm just bubbling with enthusiasm. (I always wanted to be a satellilte photo interpreter.)

Everything (well, almost anyway) on the surface of the planet is visible from satellites.

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxrKUp7BHD7Kofrj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQnQxPnQxJPexv8uOc5xQQQ00aGaPPPlnqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPGo%7CRup6leo%7C/of=50,527,443[/img]

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxrKUp7BHD7Kofrj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQnQxPnQxJPexv8uOc5xQQQ00aGaPPPlaqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPGJ%7CRup6leJ%7C/of=50,525,443[/img]

Last edited by Dennis_Smith on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Eye in the sky Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:02 pm
    ----
How do you capture the google earth pictures?

If you go to St Petersburg and look on the island across from the Peter and Paul Fortress at the large upside down U shaped building you can see the tanks and the Artillery and Engineers Museum.

#3: Re: Eye in the sky Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:52 pm
    ----
hi there i been doing this a while now, easiest way i found is to print screen then save say to paint after use edit in photoshop or paintshop,

1. locate area
2. hit alt plus print scrn together
3. open paint from accesories
4. hit ctrl plus v
5. save as jpeg
6. crop and edit in paintshop etc..

i recently found some intresting tank and armour bases while doing a search for el alamein battlefields and mine fields still visible today, as i plan a visit there next year to pay homage to some of my dads fallen comrades burried in war cemetary there, also the red sea area plus sinia reveals some intresting stuff, deserts the best place for these kinds of searches i find.
i hope this helps, heres one i got just south of cairo as a example.

Last edited by Shadow_Banshee on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

#4: Re: Eye in the sky Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:57 pm
    ----
Are these the supposed elusive Egyptian Abrams?

I believe there was a discussion on TankNet some time back that no one could attest to ever having seen a picture of an Egyptian Abrams...

Neil

#5: Re: Eye in the sky Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:05 pm
    ----
well that i'm not sure but this complex is alot bigger than the cropped image, if anyone wants the cords i can supply unfortunatly the image is not high res but you guys may see more from zoom....

heres el alamein minefield i located

#6: Re: Eye in the sky Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:15 pm
    ----

#7: Re: Eye in the sky Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:29 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Are these the supposed elusive Egyptian Abrams?

I believe there was a discussion on TankNet some time back that no one could attest to ever having seen a picture of an Egyptian Abrams...

Neil

here we are... half-dozen other images and a short clip of film on JED

Cool

#8: Re: Eye in the sky Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:33 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Banshee
well that i'm not sure but this complex is alot bigger than the cropped image, if anyone wants the cords i can supply unfortunatly the image is not high res but you guys may see more from zoom....

heres el alamein minefield i located

What the image shows is, in a way, the mines but its actually clumps of grass growing where each mine is laid. Golden rule in the western desert is to never step on the grass....

Cool

#9: Re: Eye in the sky Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 pm
    ----
Ah, I figured that little bit of bait would result in something Wink

Neil

#10: Re: Eye in the sky Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:42 pm
    ----
yeah i guess thats true lol, i found these using ww2 maps of german minefields etc, they located pretty much where the maps said and some seem cleared others seem to be in the process or was in the process of clearing with huge dozed areas plus what seems to be temporary huts near by,
if i get over there i'll remember the locations and stay clear and not sit on any nice soft grass..... but if i remember correctly desert grass aint so soft n holds crazy bugs just waiting to jump ya...

#11: Re: Eye in the sky Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:39 am
    ----
I love google earth, it's tons of fun but here is an interesting tidbit. If you go to Aberdeen, MD with it you get the area of the proving ground blurred out. If you use Microsoft live search B&W but no blur (Area shown is the Museum, shouldn't be any sensitive material there.) I guess Google is more security minded Rolling Eyes

Jeff Lewis

-> AFV News Discussion Board