Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:06 am
    ----
Finally!

Some more information on and pictures of the "mystery" Panther Ausf. A that was on sale at milweb a few years back.

www.detektorweb.cz

The heavily damaged Panther was recovered near the town of Spola, Cherkassy region in the Ukraine.

Now if someone could provide us with a proper translation of the text ...

#2: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:13 am
    ----
Well, if you can make any sense of this InterTran "translation:"

www.tranexp.com:2000/T...1%26vd%3D1

"Najdi svého Pantheon

Else jsem here uBedy already stroke within wrap up tower vision however succeed to myself eke out „komplet" reportáž squab hinge. Waifs them what within Ukrajin? um?sta ????? , why probably Špola. Stringent datum nevím however some year what already bude,....within steeple them see zimmerit a?íslo 234. Within fotkách them see sooth segment vany confederate , moving anapínacím aromatically with set waists. Probably to why vytáhla tower skanonem apravá side vany,....
Version si surreptitiously here by exclamatory nicely appoint, however nastily myself walks maybe oAusf.A or rather oAusf G. Ato nastily „V" ševron? within dotykových/záb?rových particle pásu. Taky driving-wheel size up within simplification version....Literature opanteru has on loan chum, takže what additionally ur?ím vdiskusi underneath point.

Source DPils ( internment)

Dolin

Peter "Dolin" Underneath
Foto antecedents rolling pin atechniky
www.dolin.estranky.cz "

Neil

#3: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:16 am
    ----
Rik,

this is a mail I received some weeks ago.. it's quite surprising !!

"Did you ever find out any more info on the Panther in the Ukraine? Has that just been found? Is it still here? Do you know what website it was sold on? thanks!
Why I ask is someone is trying to sell me this tank, but I don't want it to be a scam, because I want to buy it. And I am set to go over where it is in May.
That is all the details I can give you.
thanks
chris"

P-O

#4: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:53 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Well, if you can make any sense of this InterTran "translation:"

www.tranexp.com:2000/T...1%26vd%3D1

"Najdi svého Pantheon

Else jsem here uBedy already stroke within wrap up tower vision however succeed to myself eke out „komplet" reportáž squab hinge. Waifs them what within Ukrajin? um?sta ????? , why probably Špola. Stringent datum nevím however some year what already bude,....within steeple them see zimmerit a?íslo 234. Within fotkách them see sooth segment vany confederate , moving anapínacím aromatically with set waists. Probably to why vytáhla tower skanonem apravá side vany,....
Version si surreptitiously here by exclamatory nicely appoint, however nastily myself walks maybe oAusf.A or rather oAusf G. Ato nastily „V" ševron? within dotykových/záb?rových particle pásu. Taky driving-wheel size up within simplification version....Literature opanteru has on loan chum, takže what additionally ur?ím vdiskusi underneath point.

Source DPils ( internment)

Dolin

Peter "Dolin" Underneath
Foto antecedents rolling pin atechniky
www.dolin.estranky.cz "

Neil

What's the old saying "if you put enough monkeys pounding on enough typewriters eventually they would produce a Shakespere play"

Well it looks like we need either more time, more typewriters or more monkeys! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:26 am
    ----
- bsmart

Well it looks like we need either more time, more typewriters or more monkeys!

Some people would argue we are hardly in need of more monkeys....

I'll see if I can recruit some help here at work later this morning, but Czech is one language for which I don't have immediate contacts. I'll see what the "overlap" with a couple of my colleagues might be.

"Polar" might have some skills in this area, being neighbors and all...

#6: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:17 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Rik,

this is a mail I received some weeks ago.. it's quite surprising !!

"Did you ever find out any more info on the Panther in the Ukraine? Has that just been found? Is it still here? Do you know what website it was sold on? thanks!
Why I ask is someone is trying to sell me this tank, but I don't want it to be a scam, because I want to buy it. And I am set to go over where it is in May.
That is all the details I can give you.
thanks
chris"

P-O

Well, it's no scam in the sense that the tank does exist. Buying it and getting it shipped is whole different ballgame though. Restoring this Panther A even though "complete" is a MAJOR undertaking, it has been completely blown apart and all major structural components (hull, turret, upper hull plating) are either twisted or cracked in many, many places or completely blown off (as in the case of the front glacis plate and right lower hull side).

#7: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: gregv PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:14 pm
    ----
the other links in the rest of the thread are also pretty interesting.

cheers

greg v.

#8: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: palic PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 pm
    ----
What is the reason you tend to use dumb authomatic translator... There is a native speaker...

Translation is here:
Discover your own Panther
Although I have seen the pictures of this turret here in the article written by Bé?a, there is „complete report about this Panther finding… She was discovered in the Ukraine IVO SHPOLA (?????) town. I am not informed about the exact date of discovery but it seem to be not topical event,....there is zimmerit coating visible on the turret and the number „234“. Right hand side of hull with roadwheels, idler wheel, drive sprocket and complete track are visible in the pics. These parts only have been discovered and excavated along with turret.
I am not sure about version of this Panther but I suppose her to be Ausführung A or better G according to „V“ chevrons visible on the "working parts" of track links. Even the drive sprocket seems to be simplified variant.
I have borrowed all my books on Panther to my buddy so we could definitely assess the version in the discussion below (the article).

Hope this "decyphered version" helps...

#9: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:45 pm
    ----
- palic
What is the reason you tend to use dumb authomatic translator... There is a native speaker...

Thank you, Sir!

Note to self: Make a list of our esteemed members with uniquely useful language skills and established willingness to help out. Wink

#10: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:57 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Note to self: Make a list of our esteemed members with uniquely useful language skills and established willingness to help out. Wink

And you know what you are talking about !!

Pierre-Olivier

#11: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:26 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- Doug_Kibbey

And you know what you are talking about !!

Pierre-Olivier

You're already on the list, Bud! (I just started making this, feel free to contribute or add yourself, looking for volunteers)

Polish: Polar
Czech: Palic
French: Pierre-Olivier
German: Jens_O_Mehner (probably speaks Okie, too, have my suspicions about this guy...)
Swedish: Rikard_Hufschmied
Chinese: famo
Russian: Taranov (pretty sure)
Portugese: Jose Valls (and my wife for backup in dire emergency)

...And I've got duplicates like Lesley and another Francophone (whose name is escaping me at the moment)

#12: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:16 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

German: Jens_O_Mehner (probably speaks Okie, too, have my suspicions about this guy...)

Who, li'l ole me? Naaaw... Y'all ain't heard mah Southern drawl yet... Cool

#13: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:33 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- Doug_Kibbey

Who, li'l ole me? Naaaw... Y'all ain't heard mah Southern drawl yet... Cool

Hah! He fell for it...just like ol' whatsizname on the train platform in "The Great Escape"!

"Your Okie ist good, Herr Mehner, and I hear alzo your English...your hands.....UP!" Twisted Evil

#14: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:18 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Hah! He fell for it...just like ol' whatsizname on the train platform in "The Great Escape"!

"Your Okie ist good, Herr Mehner, and I hear alzo your English...your hands.....UP!" Twisted Evil

Pshaw,

your trap vas not half as gut as you thought, Amerikaner Mr. Green I'm a Polish pilot and supposed to test-fly the Hurricane...

Wasn't it Gordon Jackson aka Flight Lt. Sandy MacDonald ("Intelligence") who screwed up in "The Great Escape"? Cool

Cheers, Cool

Jens O.

#15: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:41 pm
    ----
Way back when I was at VMI the entire 3rd (Sophmore) class went to Ft Bragg for a several 'Orientation'. Part of the tour was the Green Beret presentation. You know the one from the beginning of the John Wayne movie where an A team spouts off all their skills and all the Languages they speak. At the end they asked for questions and one of the Cadets stood up and asked 'Is this typical of all A teams or is this a special Demo team? How many languages can a typical A team speak?" This was in the spring of '73, probably the low point of Special Forces capabilities with thedilution that Vietnam brought on. The A team Captain looked over at the Lt Col who was our 'Guide' The Lt Col paused for a second then said
'This team is indicative of what our desire is for all A teams. Right now there are more teams then we would really like who are only proficient in Four languages - English, Profanity, Southern, and Whorehouse Vietnamese" Rolling Eyes

He then explained - You are all due to be Army officers in just over two years. We said we would give you a realistic orientation this week and I won't lie to you. If you ask a question everyone here is commited to giving you straight answers.

Well after being off the flightline for almost 25 years my Profanity is getting a little rusty. Living in Maryland My Southern is border states at best, and I never leaned Whorehouse Vietnamese!

-> AFV News Discussion Board