What tank is it ????
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What tank is it ???? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:11 am
    ----
Hello,

A Polish contact sent me this photo, thinking that it could be a German Marder tank.. I can't surely determine which type of tank it is. Side view is not available... (photo was apparently taken in Poland)

Pierre-Olivier

Last edited by the_shadock on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: What tank is is ???? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:22 am
    ----
- the_shadock
Hello,

A Polish contact sent me this photo, thinking that it could be a German Marder tank.. I can't surely determine which type of tank it is. Side view is not available... (photo was apparently taken in Poland)

Pierre-Olivier

Not the Marder II....

Don

#3: Re: What tank is is ???? Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:10 am
    ----
I don't think it's a Marder III either. The front of the lower hull looks curved.

#4: Re: What tank is it ???? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:43 am
    ----
I'm thinking it's a Swedish light tank. Don't ask me why, It's just a gut feel. Maybe it's the sign on the front. That doesn't look Polish.

It may be time to activate our Language Brigade to identify the language on the signs

#5: Re: What tank is it ???? Author: palic PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:56 am
    ----
I would say it is a Swedish Strv M/42 variant but the superstructure seems to be a mock-up...
What is the answer from Swedish branch??? Mr. Green

#6: Re: What tank is it ???? Author: JohnPrigentLocation: Sussex, UK PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:14 am
    ----
Swedish, yes. The "Gotland" one th banner is a real giveaway. I think someone has modified an army surplus APC, the one that was built by Sweden on old licence-built LTvz38 chassis.

Cheers

John

#7: Re: What tank is it ???? Author: palic PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:20 am
    ----
I have a correction to my previous post - not Strv M/42 but Stridsvagn 74 with original gun turret replaced by ... something strange. Seems to be an "armoured advertisement for a hotel in Sweden".

#8: Re: What tank is it ???? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:40 am
    ----
- palic
I have a correction to my previous post - not Strv M/42 but Stridsvagn 74 with original gun turret replaced by ... something strange.

I agree - probably a Stridsvagen 74H rather than the 74V version.

Point of interest - is the Stridsvagen 74 the only tank ever built to carry its APU (a volkswagen engine) inside the back of the turret?

Cool

#9: Re: What tank is it ???? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:01 pm
    ----
Great.. one more mystery solved !!

Next one will come soon.. Wink

Pierre-Olivier

#10: Re: What tank is it ???? Author: clausb PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:22 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- palic
I have a correction to my previous post - not Strv M/42 but Stridsvagn 74 with original gun turret replaced by ... something strange.

I agree - probably a Stridsvagen 74H rather than the 74V version.

Point of interest - is the Stridsvagen 74 the only tank ever built to carry its APU (a volkswagen engine) inside the back of the turret?

Cool

If I'm not mistaken, Danish Army Leopard I A5 DK-1 carry their APU in the rear turret. Notice the ventilation opening in this picture:

www.panzerbaer.de/type...1_a5-a.htm

Claus B

-> AFV News Discussion Board